Hood Venting

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Since the factory hood is aluminum it's already pretty light. Although there are several lightweight vented hoods available, they are difficult to hinge and are mostly lift off only.

I'm considering this louver on a stock hood. The largest size runs 16" x 31". Wondering how a hole that big would affect the structural integrity of the hood.

http://www.hoodlouvers.com/products.html

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
I thought about doing something like that. Then i came across this hood from the 200mph S197 mustang. Same concept but looks cleaner and it would mean not cutting into the stock hood haha.

Not sure whats its called but I WANT IT!

mmfp_0710_01_z+2006_ford_mustang+front_view.jpg

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
A setup like that will work BEST if you can fabricate a duct between the outlet of the radiator and the hood... That way all the high-pressure/high-temp air gets dumped out into a low-pressure area on the hood. I think it would be a little tricky with the intake elbow, but it could probably still be done...

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I'm considering this louver on a stock hood. The largest size runs 16" x 31". Wondering how a hole that big would affect the structural integrity of the hood.

Should be fine. I cut out the skin and the bracing out from putting the GT500 scoop on and had no issues whatsoever..no warping, hood shake/flutter, and didn't feel any more flexible. I have an uncut hood again (couldn't stand the off-center scoop), but I plan on doing it over with a little more finesse this time around.

rojizostang - the back of the hood at the base of the windshield is a high pressure area. Your placement could actually be pushing air into the scoop at speed, sort of like a cowl induction hood..it's kind of a borderline spot there. Easy way to tell is to tape a few pieces of string at the leading edge of the scoop and see if they get blown up over the surface of the hood or sucked down into the scoop.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I wouldn't... the aero penalty you'll pay will be ridiculous.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
rojizostang - the back of the hood at the base of the windshield is a high pressure area. Your placement could actually be pushing air into the scoop at speed, sort of like a cowl induction hood..it's kind of a borderline spot there. Easy way to tell is to tape a few pieces of string at the leading edge of the scoop and see if they get blown up over the surface of the hood or sucked down into the scoop.

i'm good with it either way. if it does a "cowl induction" type of effect it's okay. if it just lets heat escape when it's sitting still and that's all it does, that's fine too. but i like your idea about taping string around the opening to see what it does. i do believe i'll check that out. right now the whole rear end is out from under the car waiting for a truetrac to be delivered.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
I thought about doing something like that. Then i came across this hood from the 200mph S197 mustang. Same concept but looks cleaner and it would mean not cutting into the stock hood haha.

Not sure whats its called but I WANT IT!

mmfp_0710_01_z+2006_ford_mustang+front_view.jpg

Where's this pic from?

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Tiger racing is making a similar hood in cf and fg. Colin Seburn of Griggs has one on his blue car.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I vented my Shaker, trimming the side pieces off and cutting the bottom out. Whe the car is standing still, the hot air vents out very well. When I am moving above 30 mph, my underhood temps are about 5 to 6 degrees above ambient. It blows nice cool air over the intake and heads.

If you don't want to spen the money on a Shaker, you can always add a factory hood scoop and vent the hood and scoop.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm wonder what a vent would look like on a factory hood scoop with slots cut in the hood underneath?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Hmm wonder what a vent would look like on a factory hood scoop with slots cut in the hood underneath?

I would not slot it. I would cut the whole opening right out. Then you drill/dremel the honey comb on the front of the factory scoop. The stock hood was designed to remove that whole big piece of steel under the scoop to add a shaker without the hood integrity being compromised. When you bolt the scoop back on, it will look completely stock, but cool the engine very well.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well yeah i know it can let cool air in but the hood scoop is going to hold heat in when not moving as opposed to a heat extractor vent and thats what im talking about here fitting a h e vent on top the hood scoop vice the hood regardless if you cut a whole or slot under the scoop.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
A few guys have installed the 2010 GT500 outlet to the 05-09 cars.

Oh mama, I did it. Finally cut into the hood and installed the GT500 vent. After prepping the vent with the dremel and belt sander, I made a paper template and centered it up. Then centered it up again. And again.
P1010117.jpg

I used 3M urethane windshield adhesive to stick it in place, weighted it overnight, and so far it has held up just fine around town and on track with no sign of expansion/contraction related warpage. I'll post an update if it flies off.

P1010118.jpg

P1010122.jpg

P1010130.jpg

P1010128.jpg

And the obligatory post-whore track picture:
VP__5530.jpg

VP__4276.jpg

VP__4209.jpg

The surprise tech for me was that I am now seeing a consistent 10-15 deg F reduction in temperatures. The hood vent was the only change made. I didn't go over 200 deg F on the track--a very nice surprise for a $45 modification. Thanks to the guys on cornercarvers.com for first doing this.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Well yeah i know it can let cool air in but the hood scoop is going to hold heat in when not moving as opposed to a heat extractor vent and thats what im talking about here fitting a h e vent on top the hood scoop vice the hood regardless if you cut a whole or slot under the scoop.

I got you now... I wonder what that would look like.

A few guys have installed the 2010 GT500 outlet to the 05-09 cars.

That looks pretty cool too.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah me too like one wide louver centered on the hood scoop or 2 narrower one 1 on each side of the scoop. It would let air in through the front while moving and extract hot air out. ANy photoshop guys here?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back