Hood Venting

kdaly1

Reaction score
We had a CF Tiger hood. It looked like shit.

Oh, well that sucks. Mine had a couple cracks in it and some low spots that took considerable work to make them invisible.

How so? I have been told a couple of times to just throw some vinyl over them and they would be good to go.
Damn, I wish I would have thought of that..... I would have saved a lot of time and money.

I love seeing that as well!!

Sharp looking ride bud. Love it

Last edited:

kdaly1

Reaction score
Great info. A local shop quoted me $500 ish to paint a fiberglass hood...so i assume that there must have been a lot of prep work required?

Your mod list and eye for visual choices look pretty damn good...any pics of your car are very welcome!

Lol, happy too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqkBOcgsxP8

HL7A0739_zpsicfuzh7m.jpg

HL7A0429_zps8pxcnhxw.jpg

IMG_6338_zpsbetorf38.jpg

11998851_10153600214683398_6564574085962334666_n_zpsuq7ltvsu.jpg

Sorry if I've over posted...

Here is one last vid my GF made for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DLD6_9rsLg

Last edited:

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
:cool:
Awesome pics and videos. Great mods all around.

Was your stripe original to the car? It looks like the one you could order as an option on the GT. I've never seen one in person.

kdaly1

Reaction score
:cool:
Awesome pics and videos. Great mods all around.

Was your stripe original to the car? It looks like the one you could order as an option on the GT. I've never seen one in person.

Here is what it looked like. I havent seen to many around with it. Actually only two others. But it would have cost me a fortune for someone to make it work with the tiger racing hood. It would have looked great tho IMO. I couldnt get anybody to tackle the job and I even had the replacement stripe delivered to the house. That is when I stripped the car and used plasti dip

HL7A3991_zpsjklxnluj.jpg

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
So with tax returns impending, I'm thinking seriously about ordering up a Tiger Racing hood once again.

My question is this- it looks like they're about $1000 everywhere for a the fiberglass version, plus $100-$200 for shipping. Not cheap but not hideous...unfortunately, that's a white gel coat finish and it will require some paint.

Do you suspect that a careful rattlecan application of flat black would look ok for the short term while a fella saved up for a "real" paint job? Has anyone tried this? I suspect it could come out horribly. :)

Otherwise, is the $500 paint job quote that I got last year petty average for a quality job?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
So with tax returns impending, I'm thinking seriously about ordering up a Tiger Racing hood once again.

My question is this- it looks like they're about $1000 everywhere for a the fiberglass version, plus $100-$200 for shipping. Not cheap but not hideous...unfortunately, that's a white gel coat finish and it will require some paint.

Do you suspect that a careful rattlecan application of flat black would look ok for the short term while a fella saved up for a "real" paint job? Has anyone tried this? I suspect it could come out horribly. :)

Otherwise, is the $500 paint job quote that I got last year petty average for a quality job?

I've rattle canned them flat black and they looked pretty ok.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score

Wrap it?

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
I've rattle canned them flat black and they looked pretty ok.

Thanks...That's encouraging...you don't happen to have picture or two?

I appreciate that suggestion but the idea is to save up for the paint job. Wrapping it will almost certainly cost a decent chunk of cash. A couple hundred anyway, no? :D

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Do you suspect that a careful rattlecan application of flat black would look ok for the short term while a fella saved up for a "real" paint job? Has anyone tried this?
If you're patient and your preparation is good, it's entirely do-able. Flat black is easy because there's no need to do anything afterward.

Crappy, ancient picture of a similar job

picture.php

I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert with paint & bodywork, but I rattle-canned this entire car (silver and gloss black). Any pictures taken right after painting are probably on color prints rather than digital files.

The autocross picture is maybe 5 years post-painting.

picture.php

Here's what it looked like with the paint at about 10 - 12 years when I pulled the powertrain and sold the rest. The car itself was 33 years old at the time.

picture.php

Norm

Last edited:

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
Will the Tiger Racing hood clear my Saleen supercharger? If that doesn't fit I'll try the Trackspec "cut 'em in" louvers.. I can't lower my engine, that damn 12-quart baffled oil pan won't allow it, so the engine is at stock height. It rubs against the hood insulation now, so it's pretty tight. Gotta do something cause she gets hot and the damn stock hood causes the dreaded "front end lift" halfway down the straightaway at Summit Point. Damn annoying with those pesky Camaro's are not having the same problem...

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

A local painter here in the Dallas area has installed and painted several of these Tiger hoods for S197 Mustangs. He told me he charges $800+ to fit and paint this hood. Here's his process:

1. Leave the Tiger Racing hood sitting outside in direct sunlight for at least 2 weeks. This allows it to heat up and cool down and "settle" a bit.
2. He then fits the hood to the car. This takes a lot of installing & removing, sanding of the edges, blocking and filling on the surface, etc.
3. Then its ready to prime, block again, and paint.

Like most aftermarket composite hoods, these need a good bit of work to fit well, to take paint, and have a production like finish.

B61G9398-M.jpg

It sounds like a lot of work, because it is. These don't fit any worse than other quality composite hoods, but don't just expect to bolt it on and have it fit on your first try. The gaps will need tweaking, the surface will need some work, etc. If its a race car then sometimes people can live with worse gaps and waviness than you'd see on a nice street car.

B61G9428-M.jpg

ALL aftermarket composite hoods need to be fitted to the car. They cannot be held to close, factory dimensions like stamped steel or aluminum factory parts. We've worked with this hood as well as many others, and the quality is pretty good on the Tiger.

B61G7465-M.jpg

We installed this Seibon S197 "GT500" hood for a customer and it fit a little better but it was by no means perfect. This "carbon" hood was a layer of carbon over a relatively heavy fiberglass hood - like most of the "carbon" hoods you see for sale for these cars.

v1_hoodclosed_B61G7479-M.jpg

We used this hood because we felt it had the hood venting more properly placed than the Tiger hood - where it could extract from behind the radiator and not all the way at the middle to back of the hood (which has higher pressure).

B61G8084_logo_1920-M.jpg

Of course we cut out the small-ish GT500 opening and tripled the cut opening size, then added a louvered vent. All in all it fit pretty well for a $1200 hood. The right way to finish this still takes sanding and paint but the customer wanted to keep it the carbon fiber finish. Its not as light as the Tiger hood, but it also hasn't cracked in over 18 months of use.

_DSC9088-M.jpg

Personally I like the OEM aluminum hoods on the 2005-14 S197 cars. We can work with these and get them vented properly and they are no heavier than most of the aftermarket composite hoods. But I get it - the Tiger hood looks cool and everyone loves it. :)

Last edited:

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
Louvered Vent

I need to vent my hood, and I'm all for cutting up a stock aluminum hood. Does anyone know were that sexy aluminum vent shown in the faux carbon fiber hood came from? I like that...but can't find it anywhere.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I need to vent my hood, and I'm all for cutting up a stock aluminum hood. Does anyone know were that sexy aluminum vent shown in the faux carbon fiber hood came from? I like that...but can't find it anywhere.

That is a bad mofo. I would like to know where they came from too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back