Horrible Dyno Numbers inside.....

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
A quick history on the car. It is a 2008 Mustang GT/CS and I am the original owner. It has 11k on the odometer so engine still has lots of life in her. I had the car dyno tuned in 09 and it made 331rwhp and 333rwt on mustang dyno with the following mods....

Pypes mid-muffler exhaust
Steeda CAI
MAC LT Headers
MAC o/r Prochamber
FRPP Cams

FF to 2 weeks ago and I installed a FRPP intake manifold and a FRPP 62mm throttle body. Ordered a SCT X4 with free tunes for life from AM. Got the tunes in and the car was difficult to drive, real jerky in the low rpms and would die when I come to a stop. Smelled like it was running very rich. Felt like I was making no power and car was sluggish. Called BAMA and they sent new tunes, car ran a little better, car would not stall but the rpms would drop really low around 1-200 rpms when coming to a stop and bounce around between there and 1k before it would settle down. I decided to get a dyno run today and my suspicions were confirmed, the car was running really rich...

Super disappointing numbers, I lost 30 rwhp and 30 rwt from previous numbers BEFORE the FRPP intake manifold and FRPP 62mm Throttle body and this is on a dyno Jet which usually will read higher than a Mustang dyno. Then I remembered I also have the race tune from BAMA so we loaded it up....

I made 4 more rwhp:tdown:. After that I decided to go ahead and have them tune the car using HP Tuners. They were able to fix th idle issues and squeeze 20 more HP over the mail order tune. Still very disappointing numbers none the less.

Final numbers are 317rwhp and 300rwt:perkinswhatever:

My son got more HP out of his hotwheels car.

Mods are in sig. I don't blame the tunes at all except for the idle issue, there is something else obviously going on here. I will say after getting the dyno tune the car feels much more responsive and will put you in the seat, I was not felling that before. I have seen cars with similar mods dyno at 350+rwhp. The car is mechanically sound so anyone got any ideas or see anything from the graphs in the vids that might help?

MIKE93SVT

Savior of Junk
Reaction score
Different Dyno, different conditions, etc. Don't let that be your basis for a problem. Track mph/times or seat of the pants are more important. Glad you got away from bama. You're probably good to go beyond that

Mike

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Frpp manifold and tb is only good for a couple hp on a bolt on car anyway. Like said cant compare different dynos like that. Fuck bama tunes. And you original numbers sound extremely high for your mods anyway.That is all.

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
What frpp cams did you get. What size lift/duration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
What frpp cams did you get. What size lift/duration

From AM website..

Increases lift from the stock 11mm to 12mm. Duration at .050", intake 221 degrees, exhaust 240 degrees, lobe separation 110 degrees. Long Tube Headers are not required for these cams to perform properly; but they will increase your performance gains.

Mustang Fitment: 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
Setup similar to mine. Frpp intake/62 mm t/b, high flow rails. I went with the states two Blower cams, but I have the b326 stroker short block with beehive springs and the worlds smallest 1200 SL supercharger with meth. I put up 576/522. Lots of people disappointed in the hot rod cams.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your numbers are on par to even high for the mods.

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks weather man. Now if I can only find a car to put it back in.

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
For a small price. Sure.
2cfa88c7b9ebf0bf1ad18cd5e3800cd9.jpg

travelers

Reaction score
If memory servers me right the Mustang dyno is more number friendly, and the DynoJet is closer to real numbers.

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
Dyno is a dyno. I don't think there is a special 1 just for mustangs. Maybe 1 geared more favorable to mustangs, Is there 1 for vettes?old Chevys?mercedes? Etched etc. I don't know. The guys to ask would be at Dynotunemp. They do this for a living.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Different Dyno, different conditions, etc. Don't let that be your basis for a problem. Track mph/times or seat of the pants are more important. Glad you got away from bama. You're probably good to go beyond that

Mike

Not the first horror story I have heard on that AM offered tuner group. A friend of mine in FLA had a similar experience with the tuner you mentioned. The best measurement would have been an initial pull, add the mods then dyno again. On a "strange" dyno it is impossible to tell what the impact of your changes have made when comparing new changes to results prior on another dyno. The track will reveal your actual improvement.

E.G. My 05 made 479RWHP after tuned on a dyno locally. Soon after I went to a dyno day and with zero changes the car dyno's 507RWHP. BOTH WERE DYNOJET DYNOMETERS. Similar spring time air as well.

Nice numbers btw. Hope they result in lower ET's and higher MPH!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Dyno is a dyno. I don't think there is a special 1 just for mustangs. Maybe 1 geared more favorable to mustangs, Is there 1 for vettes?old Chevys?mercedes? Etched etc. I don't know. The guys to ask would be at Dynotunemp. They do this for a living.

There is a brand of dyno called "mustang dyno," just as dynojet is a different brand of dyno. It's just a coincidence that a dyno brand has the same name as our beloved Ford ponycar.

Mustang dyno's tend to read a bit lower than dynojet dyno's. The actual #'s from one dyno to another aren't important, nor are they very meaningful. The important #'s are before and after #'s on the same car done on the same dyno to measure improvements.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score

Mustang is the brand of Dyno, like Dynojet is the brand of a dyno. I made the same assumption early on. Easy to draw that conclusion.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Dynojet's will always read higher. Dynocoms and Mustang dynos read lower and are more "true' to what you make.

I would not say the OPs numbers are horrible. In fact, they seem pretty high for the mods. If you were expecting 400 RWHP, you'd need a fully built/bored motor, custom grind cams, ported heads, race gas, etc.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Mustang Dyno's typ read 10% lower than a dynojet....but the OP stated he already knew that. The Dynojet therefore should be reading 10% higher than the mustang dyno. Since it's 10% down on the dynojet, he's actually 20% down..which is piss poor. The ambient temp should not make any difference, nor the humidity, nor barometric pressure, since ( if it was done right)..it should be sae corrected, to factor in temp /humidity / pressure.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back