Hot rod cam installed P0340 and 0344 now

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
So yes I have searched and have found alot of threads that say replace the alternator. I installed the cams myself. I used a wedge and 1/4 method. I never took the gears off the chain and dont think the wedge slipped so im amost 100% certain that they are timed right. My tune is from bama. When I start the car the cel comes on for p0340. If I turn it of clear the code and start again code is gone and does not come back on. If I shut it of and start it again the code comes back on. Then turn it of clear code and start its gone. I did this 5-6 times and just like clock work it was the same everytime. I had another member working with me and he had me data log to see if maybe the cams were not timed right. After looking at the logs he said that he is almost certain that they are ok. I called Am and asked about the tune and they told me to try another tune they sent, Requested 93r and 91r, I am running the 93r. They also said that it looks like the tune is good. I ran the car today with all acc. on other than AC it has been deleted, and noticed that it seemed like the dome light were flickering. Im really leaning towards the alternator but it seems odd that the car was fine until I installed the cams. This is really driving me crazy and has me second guessing the install eventhough everything went pretty smooth. Sorry for the long post.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Pull the cam position sensors and look at them. Specifically look to see if they are chewed up. There is a chance for damage to the endcap when not using a spring compressor. If the endcap gets damaged the cam and phaser can move into the sensor.

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
Pull the cam position sensors and look at them. Specifically look to see if they are chewed up. There is a chance for damage to the endcap when not using a spring compressor. If the endcap gets damaged the cam and phaser can move into the sensor.

this. :roflmao:

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I just replaced the alternator and no change. Tried both tunes from AM no change. Took the car out for a drive it ran fine. Got back shut the car off and turned back on and check engine light comes on. This is really getting to me. I also pulled the valve cover to check the cam caps and make sure they were tight. No problems there. I really need some help.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I will try that. You were having the same symptoms as me so it's worth a shot.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Well just changed the crankshaft sensor no help. Data logged voltage getting 14+ volts. I'm really at a loss as what to do.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Well just changed the crankshaft sensor no help. Data logged voltage getting 14+ volts. I'm really at a loss as what to do.

If it were me, I'd do things in this order since your problem started when you installed the cams, and everything was fine before:

1. Disconnect every single connecter you unhooked and physically look at each connector (and what it connects to) for bent or recessed pins.

2. Remove the hot rod cams and reinstall your stock cams.

3. Pull the front of the engine off and verify your timing. Even though you had the wedge in there, things do sometimes happen.

Note: Before doing each step, disconnect battery, do the Step, reconnect battery, reload tune, start and check for codes.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Will do the disconnect and see what happens. I've been over the connections 3-4 times hoping I missed something. What about the re lean free disconnecting the batt? I don't have ac anymore. Would turning on all the acc work lights and heater exc. ? I've got a fitting coming to do a compression test before I pull the front cover. The reason I did the alt was the lights and stuff were flickering especially when I had everything on and that seems to be the big thing with the p0340 code.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
When you did the connections, did you physically check every single pin using a flashlight? As for relearning after disconnecting the battery, it's something that I found useful as a known factor during the troubleshooting.

I've had a P0340 before, did all the things I've mentioned in this entire thread, including the alternator, and nothing fixed it (the last step was a pain in the rear since I've got a front mounted turbo...). Turned out being a physical problem with the one of the heads that was causing the problem.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I never get why people start throwing parts at their car like alternators, TPS's, cam sensors right after a cam change because they are getting codes. IMO either the timing is off or it's in the tune. I did my Hot Rods myself with the wedge and spring compressor and never had a problem. I mean unless you dropped your alternator, or beat your sensors with a hammer there shouldn't be an issue.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I changed the alternator for a few reasons one being that 90% of all the threads one here said that if you get p0340 that its the alternator. I've been through everything 3-4 times and can't find anything wrong. I changed the crank sensor cuz the guy suggested it was having the exact issues I was havin and its only 20. I work as a mechanic I hate just throwing parts too. But at this point I'm not sure what else to do I just want my car running right.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had this same problem after my build. It ended up being a poorly manufactured cam phaser on my driver side cam. I did the sensor thing too but the codes kept coming back.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Just disconnected the battery. Had am re send tunes. Reloaded tune. Still same problems.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I looked at that yesterday when I pulled the valve cover they all looked good. I'm thinking about cleaning the maf and throttle body next. It's weird I load the tune start the car everything runs fine. Shut it down start it up and it stumbles and check engine comes on. Shut it down clear code and start everything is fine. Turn it of and start again it stumbles and then throws the light.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
My compression tester should be here tomorrow so I'm gonna do hat next. But the way fuel trims are I really don't think they are out of time. I'm also concedering maybe a broke guide or tensioner?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back