Hot rod cam installed P0340 and 0344 now

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Michael I was reading a different thread and it said that you had a timing problem and your fuel trims were less than 5%? I am getting a compression test fitting hopefully tonight to try and determine if timing is off. How did the car run did it seem fairly normal?

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
That's probably the same problem I talked about in an earlier post in this thread. Turned out that somehow I had a slightly bent valve which was binding in the valve guide. No piston to head contact was visible, but once I replaced the valve and valve guide, the problem was fixed and the codes never came back.

But it drove me nuts and I ran around in circles for awhile until I finally just pulled one head off at a time and luckily it was the first one I pulled.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
So I checked the compression today everything was good. Not sure what to do next this is really bugging. And I need the car ready by April 12th.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any possible way you may of gotte. Some kind of debris oil silicone in the oil passage on the front cam cap? That passsage is whats feeds the tunnel in the cam that feeds the phaser. I've seen it happen before on a stock cam swap, not on a Mustang, but an F150. My buddy changed out his phasers and some followers and cam that got wiped out, called me in anguish over these same DTC's. Scoped it and found the timing was way off on the passenger bank. Pulled the valves covers to see if the timing lined up, it did. Then out of curiosity pulled the front cam cap on the passenger bank and it had a bit of silicone on it. Dunno how, but it did. Check that cap and see if the tunnels in the cam are clear also... Might be worth a shot.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I was getting between 130-150 depending on how long I let it crank. I tried to shoot for a four second cranking time.

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Get exact number per cylinder. And instead of time. Do five hits per cylinder. Reason y I'm asking for exact number is to compare bank to bank for proper timing. Also check base oil pressure at hot idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mineralgoogt

forum member
Reaction score
Did you pull the front cover off when you installed the camshaft?
Nevermind, seen you used wedge, which means you didn't pull the covers.

Last edited:

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just gonna take it to an friends and we are gonna pull the front cover and re time the whole thing.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On that side when you slid the phaser back on, did you pry the phaser on? When I did my swap, I made the mistake of prying it up against the front plate of the phaser, that made it pull off of the roll pins that hold it in place. The front plate started spinning when I started to torque it down. Check to see if the plate is lined up correctly on the phaser. I think the side that has the 3 pegs has the middle peg lined up with "L" check and see if its lined up. If not, than that is your problem.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help I will check that before I tear it done. It's gonna be a week or so though leaving for Hawaii for a week!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back