How awesome is the 5.0?

hastethedav

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 2009 gtcs and am seriously considering selling it while it still holds a decent value. I definately want a 2011-12 grabber blue GT. The thing is im a full time student juggling almost full days of wok as well. Id sell my gt now and drive my dads old tahoe for 6 months or more to save so i wouldnt be drowning in car payments.

For all you 5.0 owners...are they as amazing as one would imagine? Im still young and stupid so part of me says go for it :D. Plus i want to get a manual car, was always too short but finally can reach the clutch comfortably haha

Just debating if i could go stanglesss for 6-9 months without goin craaazy haha

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
The cars are amazing and a large step up in performance compared to the 3v counterpart. I love my car but am currently speaking to a dealer trying to work out a trade. I have the manual and I just hate the transmission in this thing with it being notchy and not a pleasant experience for me. I am attempting to trade in on an automatic as they run GREAT times and I won't have to worry about transmission problems.

I'd say to read up in the 5.0 section of this site as well as others to see some of the common problems (which aren't with every car) and then go from there.

Bryan

forum member
Reaction score
I looked at them online for 2 days, saw how quick they were and youtube sold me on them. Went to 1 dealership and picked up a 2011 left over and got 6500 off sticker. I bought a premium with leather and auto for 29,600.00

If you can wait till april, thats the time when dealers are supposed to have the past years stock off the lot.

2011 new for 27040.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011...2228302?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e63bb264e

2012 blue new for 33000 with brembo's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012...2816624?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a66347370

Yes they are that bad ass, i have a few low 11 second cars and this 2011 mustang GT is tons of fun too.

Automatics are just as fun, im getting city and highway combined of 26mpg. I did not want the stick because all the problems they are having, this auto shifts great and theres always a gear for it to downshift to.

On the test drive, we hit the highway and at 130 i looked at my dad and said i cant believe it got there so quick. They litterally just keep on pulling.

Go test drive one and make your decision, maybe they have a left over grabber blue and just advertising it. Thats how i found my car.

HTH

Bryan

forum member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, the premiums come with my color and i can only assume your 09 has the same options with the gauge cluster and leather.

That blue is baddass man, go for it!!!

hastethedav

forum member
Reaction score
probably gonna wait till april of next year then, i gotta get some money saved up, I actually went to my local ford dealer and they didnt have a single 5.0! it was crazy, they had 1 2010 Sterling Grey listed at 36k....insanity.

I want to test drive one of them, but I went with my brother once and he drove it, it was literally around the block, probably a 2 minute test drive and he told my brother to slow down every time he went past 35...he obviously didnt wanna sell a car :D

I feel like spending half a year in an old beater Tahoe will make a return to a mustang amazing haha, going barebones though, my CS is pretty well equipped, but due to the higher prices on these I just need an the engine and maybe leather seats, brembo's dont seem necessary to me since its mostly a DD.

Are the manual transmissions really have probs? I read on jalopnik about some issues, I really want a stick this time around, I love to cruise around and i usually stay away from traffic (do my 40 mile commute to school at 6AM) although I am quite a noob at shifting, I can shift on a bike, but thats alot easier haha

haha, i know I can google it, and while most sites praise the 5.0 they are just reviewers, I know alot of 5.0 drivers came from the 05-09 models and thats what I truly want to hear

Last edited by a moderator:

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Yes the standards really have those problems haha....hundreds of posts about them and its really upsetting. I ran 11.8 with tires and a 93 octane tune being the only changes so there is no question that the standard can haul ass...but its just not worth it to me to fear the transmission later down the road.

I bought the extended warranty but its not pleasant to have a car that you are spending $500 a month on sitting at the shop getting transmission work done to it.

Bryan

forum member
Reaction score
Yes the standards really have those problems haha....hundreds of posts about them and its really upsetting. I ran 11.8 with tires and a 93 octane tune being the only changes so there is no question that the standard can haul ass...but its just not worth it to me to fear the transmission later down the road.

I bought the extended warranty but its not pleasant to have a car that you are spending $500 a month on sitting at the shop getting transmission work done to it.

What size et streets?

OP- go find another dealer, the autos are fun as hell. Im a G-body guy 87 buick GN's is what ive had for 10+ years and this 2011 GT is pretty bad ass. My first mustang too!

Love the SYNC system with bluetooth and premium stereo rocks

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
OP not sure how in love you are with the 5.0 but there is a 2008 GT500 on autotrader right now, 8200 miles, out of Houston TX.

Has a KB 2.8 twin screw, 708 @ the tire. He's asking $32,500. I love my car and all but if I could get 22K for it right now I'd be all over that like flies on a ribroast.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
it is truly a great car, Ford has hit a home run with this car! I got a left over 2011 with the M6 and it shifts butter smooth once warmed up, it is a bit notchy when cold though

Midnight00SE

forum member
Reaction score
OP not sure how in love you are with the 5.0 but there is a 2008 GT500 on autotrader right now, 8200 miles, out of Houston TX.

Has a KB 2.8 twin screw, 708 @ the tire. He's asking $32,500. I love my car and all but if I could get 22K for it right now I'd be all over that like flies on a ribroast.

If you can find that link for me, please PM it to me. I'm looking for another GT500.

OP - Just go with the new 5.0. Get what you can for your '09 while it's worth it. I'm sure you'll get a good amount for it as long as it's in good condition.

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score
I understand the wanting the manual transmission, It's tons more fun and runs hard down the track, but the issues on the tranny are definitely something to think about. I have the 5 speed manual in my 2010, and considering how much fun to drive it is, I don't think I could ever go back to an auto (for a sports car).

I'd look into either swapping the 6 speed from the gt500 in, or waiting a bit longer to see if there is a fix for the manuals or not, but if you want a stick, I wouldn't settle for an auto.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Look. The only people you see posting about the MT-82 6sp trans are those who have problems with it. There are thousands upon thousands who do not have issues and in all reality, those that do are a small percentage. Vendors on here that run the shit out of their manuals with superchargers and N2O report no issues, even getting into the 9's and beating the piss out of it.

Not to mention that you have a 5yr/60,000 mile power-train warranty standard on every Mustang sold.

No need to buy extended warranties unless you're really paranoid about it. I'm not personally and let me tell you what. I cover a whole hell of a lot more miles on the streets than I do on the strip. I want to enjoy rowing my own gears TYVM.

Having said all of that, my 2011 Mustang GT is the first car I have ever owned that makes me want to roll out of bed in the morning and go drive it. I'm like a teenager again, willing to run errands just to drive my car. And I've had it for over a year now. I turned in a 2009 car in 2010 just to have this 2011 Mustang. I didn't lose my ass too bad in it either. Only by about $1000. The price of enjoying what I drive is worth more than that! And the fun I have with this car is simply sinful feeling!

As a young guy, you have all kinds of time to fix your fuckups. Also, once you get too involved in life, you very well may not have the capability to pay for one. Or, "family considerations" might prevent you from owning a sports car. If you can do it without jacking yourself over on payments, do it. Out of all the new cars, and ALL of the older cars, I've owned, this 5.0 is by far my favorite.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back