How can I Prep Textured Louvers for Paint?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I purchased some used Saleen 1/4 Louvers from a member on here, and I decided to go a certain route with them. I would like to paint them matte black (going for a certain look with my summer modifications). These louvers have a textured plastic feel, so I need to get rid of that.

My question is: What would be the best way to get rid of the texture and prep these louvers for paint?

Anyone have a preferred paint too, that would hold up for a good while?

Thanks for any help!

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sand with a medium to fine grit sandpaper. Don't use anything rough (60-80 grit) or you will gouge the plastic, causing yourself more bodywork. If they are like the stock mirrors, I'd sand that texture away first or use some light body filler to fill in the gaps or make it smooth.

INTRUDER

Reaction score
If you want them smooth...
Prep for paint by using an plastic paint prep, a coat of primer and two light coats of paint. Now you cans sandthe PAINT instead of scratching up the louvers plastic.
The lovers are now smooth and ready for any type of paint or finish.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
If you want them smooth...
Prep for paint by using an plastic paint prep, a coat of primer and two light coats of paint. Now you cans sandthe PAINT instead of scratching up the louvers plastic.
The lovers are now smooth and ready for any type of paint or finish.

This is the correct way to do it.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
I'd lightly scuff they with a grey scuff pad with soap and water. To make sure all release agent is removed. Then spray some adheision promoter on them. Let it flash, prime them with 3 coats of good primer. Block sand them with 220, shoot 2 more coats of primer, wet sand them with 600. Then they are ready to seal and paint. I like Dupont chroma-base paints myself. I'd shoot them with black base, then clear them with dupont chroma-clear with a flattening additive. They will look killer if done this way.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Sounds good guys, I'm going to take a trip to the hardware store when I get a chance this up coming week and I'll get these things. I'll post some pictures of the work in progress so you can see.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Prep work

I've read that using Ajax powder is the best stuff to use for plastic/fiber glass body parts. It's preferred over soap because soap leaves some residue where Ajax powder will not. Just a friendly FYI. Good luck and please post pics of the finished Saleen louvers as I too have some that I bought through eBay.

Gerardo

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Here is the last updated picture I have of them, as they sit right now they are completely smoothed out and they have a coat of primer, ready to be painted black. I just have not had enough time to paint them - been too busy with work.

IMG_4264.jpg

Back