how do u remove side gt emblems

grabber197

forum member
Reaction score
I was wanting to take the side Gt emblems off to paint them black to give the car a little character. Are they just stuck on with 3m tape and all I need to do is use a heat gun

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When i removed mine i just used fishing line. Saw in a back and forth motion. Doesnt take very long.

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
Used a hairdryer to soften the glue, then dental floss cause I didn't have fishing string. Then goo gone to remove the remainder of the tape. I did however take tape and place it in a perfect square around the original badge as an alignment tool. I just went from the chrome badge to a black badge though so same shape emblem.-Shane

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
hmmm i was thinking about removing them to do the plastidip but im not so sure i'd be able to get enough adhesive on them as perfect as it should be

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
I took mine off and painted them and put back on with just 3M doubleside tape. They were still on rock solid a year later when I swapped the stock GT emblem out for the Tribar.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
hey bcb, how does it come off? as a whole? I didn't know that emblem was just stickied on as well!! Sounds like I need to get some 30lb test...no need for a heat guy with the avg temps being around 93* here right now!! I found that the dip pulls off when removing the tape so I'd rather just remove all the emblems and do them that way.

Anyone know how to remove the front pony? I'm gonna grab a flashlight and check it out but i'd like a for sure method :) thanks

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Did not do the front pony as I have a different grill. For the faux gas cap, there are two large alignment pins (it has been a while since I painted mine).

Someone had a write up on the front pony but it has been way too long for me to remember the forum.

You definitely need some heavy fishing line and some goof off to get the remaining tape off the car.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
The front Pony is held with 2 stamped thin metal clips. The clips are designed to be pushed over thin plastic pins attached to the "chrome" Pony. Removing the pins means you'll snap the pins clean off. You'll need to remove the grill to see exactly what I'm describing. Or, you can gently pry the Pony from the front with a putty knife, screw driver, etc... (I would not advise this.). The easiest way is to remove the radiator plastic cover, reach behind the grill, break the pins, remove said Pony, and 3M tape it back on.
Good luck on whichever way you decide to go.

Gerardo

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back