how do u remove side gt emblems

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
The front Pony is held with 2 stamped thin metal clips. The clips are designed to be pushed over thin plastic pins attached to the "chrome" Pony. Removing the pins means you'll snap the pins clean off. You'll need to remove the grill to see exactly what I'm describing. Or, you can gently pry the Pony from the front with a putty knife, screw driver, etc... (I would not advise this.). The easiest way is to remove the radiator plastic cover, reach behind the grill, break the pins, remove said Pony, and 3M tape it back on.
Good luck on whichever way you decide to go.

Gerardo

damn...after all that, i think i may just stick tape inbetween the grill and the pony and tape up some newspaper and spray it on the car!!

acrophobia13

eat. sleep. drive.
Reaction score
damn...after all that, i think i may just stick tape inbetween the grill and the pony and tape up some newspaper and spray it on the car!!

I took my grille off the car, taped off the entire thing (just wrapped the entire grille in blue painters tape) and then cut out the pony so it was exposed.
Sanded and sprayed, it came out great. I get compliments on it all the time.

I had removed the pony from the grille to do it on my last Mustang and the pony never fit right again.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The front Pony is held with 2 stamped thin metal clips. The clips are designed to be pushed over thin plastic pins attached to the "chrome" Pony...

You can remove the grill and then use a small screwdriver or needle-nosed pliers to pull the metal tabs away from the pins. Hammer the tabs flat and re-use them or just use the 3M tape to re-mount the pony.

0608111752a_01.jpg

Last edited:

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score

Just do this.

The easiest way is to remove the radiator plastic cover, reach behind the grill, break the pins, remove said Pony, and 3M tape it back on.

It's 10 or so push pins and breaking 4 clips. I was trying to give you choices. Not saying to do it all... It's so easy even a caveman can do it!!! lol!

Gerardo

rkaiser

Reaction score
+1 on the heat gun. It helps avoid any bending of the emblems. You can rub off remaining tape with your finger. 3m double sided (check thickness) to reapply.

FirstFord94

Reaction score
This worked perfect to remove the 5.0 fender emblems. I couldn't find any fishing line, so I used waxed mint dental floss. :thumb:

Are there also posts that hold the 5.0 emblem to the body like with the GT badge on the '10 cars?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are there also posts that hold the 5.0 emblem to the body like with the GT badge on the '10 cars?

They're not really posts, just little "nubs." I think the point of them is mainly to allow easy alignment of the badge on the assembly line.

FirstFord94

Reaction score
They're not really posts, just little "nubs." I think the point of them is mainly to allow easy alignment of the badge on the assembly line.

I wanted to take the "5.0" badge off the side of the car as I don't like the advertising/attention. But if there are holes in the body where the badge goes, then I'll be forced to leave it or black it out.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's not bad and probably no more expensive than getting the supplies to do it yourself. I wonder if it would stand out more on a silver car? Or I wonder if a "GT" badge from the '10 cars would work?

Yeah, it would definitely stand out more. Here's some pictures of mine so you get an idea of what it looks like.

39070754053_large.jpg

39070754077_large.jpg

39070754058_large.jpg

Back