how do you get oil out of an intercooler???

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
the old blower had a bad impeller seal. the oil must have blowns into the intercooler. now with the new blower, every time i get into boost the intercooler outlet coupling blows off and it's got motor oil all over it. I checked the new blower and it's fine.

I removed the intercooler and I was thinking about hooking the leaf blower up to the inlet and pushing the oil out

What do you guys think?

JOJOEGT

forum member
Reaction score
Radiator shop can boil it out with hot water.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just remove it and all the piping and clean it all out. Some compressed air helps and carb/choke cleaner to help break up the dried oil too.

Simon

forum member
Reaction score
How about simple green?

I like the idea of taking it to a radiator shop. Seems like the best solution.

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
How about simple green?

I like the idea of taking it to a radiator shop. Seems like the best solution.

I take any used or oiled intercoolers to the radiator shop and have them cleaned.

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cap all the openings, except one, w/ tape
Add 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of gasoline and seal the last opening
Shake, shake, shake and shake some more
Remove tape from one opening and drain
Repeat until the gas comes out the same color as it when in

Open both in/out openings and blast with compressed air or use your wife's hairdryer to evaporate remaining gas
Let it air dry for an hour or so

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I can tell you how we remove oil from intercoolers and heat exchangers...

Fill the heat exchanger approx. 80% full of the hottest water you can get. Add a small qty of liquid (not powdered) non-foaming dishwasher detergent - like Cascade, Palmolive or the equivalent. The dishwasher detergent helps to loosen and break down the oil sludge. Tip the heat exchanger from side to side sloshing the solution through the core. Drain, rinse and repeat until the water comes out clean. Be sure to rinse with clean water until all detergent has been removed. Then as previously suggested air dry to remove any remaining liquid.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and don't use the gas method although it may get the oil out when you go to turn on the hair dryer as described you may well blow yourself up. Electrical appliances create sparks and even a tiny little spark can ignite fumes.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Simple boley sell it and go BIGGER !!!!! lol , just make sure whatever you do to give it time to dry completely before you install last thing you need is water in a cylinder

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
I let it sit on the outlet side for a little while and then blew air through it with the leaf blower. got a little bit out, then it just quit coming out. wiped down and reinstalled. Seams to be fine. no couplings blowing off anymore. Thanks for all the input fellers

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used brake cleaner, and then simple green and water. Rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times till its clear

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back