How fast is the 'adaptive octane strategy'?

Dirt Holden

Reaction score
I had a hard time finding any information on this. I understand that on the 2011+ the adaptive technology will add timing/spark when you add octane, and vice versa. So how fast will the engine actually adapt? Seconds? Minutes?

So here's an example. I usually run 93 octane pump gas. Let's say I put in a tank of 96 or even 98 octane. How long before my coyote is at full powaz!?

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
it doesnt detect what octane fuel is in the tank if thats what your asking

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
The computer has the ability to pull back timing from the maximum amount the computer is calibrated to via the knock sensors.

EDIT: I will say it may be a good idea if you have it tuned for 93 and you plan on running it hard at the track on a hot day it's a good precaution to run a higher octane fuel to prevent undetected knock.

Last edited:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Putting 96 or 98 octane isn't going to make any more power than 93 unless you are tuned for the higher octane. Even with a tune and the higher octane the power gains will be marginal at best.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I had a hard time finding any information on this. I understand that on the 2011+ the adaptive technology will add timing/spark when you add octane, and vice versa. So how fast will the engine actually adapt? Seconds? Minutes?

So here's an example. I usually run 93 octane pump gas. Let's say I put in a tank of 96 or even 98 octane. How long before my coyote is at full powaz!?

Does anyone know if the 5.0 retards the exhaust cam for lower octane fuel in conjunction with spark? It would effectively lower compression.

Dirt Holden

Reaction score
This is from an email when I was talking with Lund.

Note: the tune we were discussing was for 93 pump gas octane.

What isn't understood is "adaptive Octane strategy". 2011 and up all use this in the calibration to optimize performance. You want a more agressive tune you need to run more Octane. I can add 5 degrees more spark but if the Cars deems the Octane not high enough to support the additional spark the Knock Sensors pull it right back out. I have tested this time and time again. So you run 91 with your tune and it will pull a few degrees. Run 93 and it will advance the spark from what I have for the base a few degrees. It also learns more agressive driving style, You beat on it a little harder it will adapt via the Drive By Wire, Fuel and Spark. Very neat system !

So regardless of your agressive request your tune is as it should be. If you so desire to add spark manually the tune is adjustable and you can add a few degrees globally but its not needed. The best way to get the additional performance if you want it is to add Octane via a little race fuel or a 32oz can of Torco for a Full tank of gas.

Thanks

Jon L

In other words, the spark is advanced until the knock sensors tell it to stop. By adding more octane, more power will result.

I appreciate the responses, however it appears most people are unaware of this very cool feature we have. Or maybe lund is just fucking with me.

In any case, does anyone have any more information on how quickly this system works!! How long before the engine derives the maximum spark for the octane you have put in the tank??

51ngh

forum member
Reaction score
it does not have the authority to advance spark from base spark, it can just retard spark based on knock. Basically it can detect knock not what octane level is in the fuel tank.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
it does not have the authority to advance spark from base spark, it can just retard spark based on knock. Basically it can detect knock not what octane level is in the fuel tank.

You are wrong on this one. The PCM can and will add spark based on octane.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Up to the maximum spark advance, which would not be calibrated for octanes over 93 on a stock tune.

You are correct. That's why I said in a previous post here adding 98 octane wouldn't produce any added HP over 93 octane unless tuned for the increase in octane.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
You are correct. That's why I said in a previous post here adding 98 octane wouldn't produce any added HP over 93 octane unless tuned for the increase in octane.

I did not see that but you are definitely correct!

Dirt Holden

Reaction score
Ok great. We have now collectively agreed that the adaptive octane strategy will add spark, however you would want an aftermarket tune in order to properly take advantage of my example.

Still, does anyone know how quickly this all happens?

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Ok great. We have now collectively agreed that the adaptive octane strategy will add spark, however you would want an aftermarket tune in order to properly take advantage of my example.

Still, does anyone know how quickly this all happens?

It happens instantly. Example: You could do a dyno pull with 87 octane and make 365 hp. Drain tank add 93 octane do another pull and make 375 hp.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Marc, If you are feeling really ambitious datalogging cam positions would be a nice touch.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back