how hard is considered "hard driving"

bigpappy33

11.17@126
Reaction score
I bang gears at least once every time i drive it. It's a DD. The car really feels like she wants more. It's half the reason i love my mustang, it was made to be driven hard.

reefblue93

forum member
Reaction score
I think you'll find that there's a direct correlation between hard driving and someone that can't drive. Inexperienced or dumb ass drivers will have a much more adverse effect on a car's longevity than someone that knows their car's limits and how to drive that gets in the throttle and races their car 2-3 times per week (track or street). N/A 4.6's are very resilient power plants and can take some serious abuse. Same goes for 4.6's equipped with power adders, when tuned right. Those engines have been around forever and Ford normally doesn't put an engine into their trucks or muscle cars that can't handle some abuse.

nmb15831

forum member
Reaction score
i see some of you guys are shifting at 6500 rpm and the redline starts at 6. a guy at the track a few weeks ago told me to shift at 6800 and that it wouldnt hurt the car. what do you guys say about that. is that considered to hard. i still shifted at the redline.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
You are gonna hit the rev limiter before you get to 6800. there are always guys telling you how to drive your car at the track. It is very easy for them to tell you how to drive a car they have $0 invested in.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
i see some of you guys are shifting at 6500 rpm and the redline starts at 6. a guy at the track a few weeks ago told me to shift at 6800 and that it wouldnt hurt the car. what do you guys say about that. is that considered to hard. i still shifted at the redline.

I have shifted at 6500 and 6800 before, I only shift that high so I fall back into the higher part of the torque curve on the next shift.

I think anything over 7,000 rpm though is asking for trouble on the stock valvetrain/springs, most tuners set their limit to 6800rpm so it seems that it has been deemed safe enough somewhere along the lines.

I don't have any problems to report shifting or hitting the limiter at the 6800 level.

Alter Ego Trip

Pot Stirring Aficianado
Reaction score
I'd say lack of maintenance is worse than spirited driving. I don't flog my car but I do drive it like I built it for. It's my March-October DD and if I didn't think it would hold up to aggressive driving I wouldn't have bought it. But she get's 2,000-2,500 oil changes and I never get on her until the operating temp is reached.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I keep with the 3,000 mile oil changes religiously and never drove hard before the temp was up to normal NEVER even been above 2500rpm cold.
I drive my car hard, but I take care of it :)

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Didn't Ford increase the redline on the 2010? 6500 instead of 6000?

Same motor.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yes they did, same motor doubt even 7000rpm will hurt the 4.6 in stock form.
However I don't have the balls to try it out :roflmao:

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
A race track is the LAST place to "take it easy" whyyyyy whyyyyyy whyyy!!!

Not shifting to 2nd helps me figure out what lines are faster around some of the corners. Takign the variable of shifting out of the equation helps determine its the line I took and not the time I shifted that made the lap faster.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
this is hard driving:

ksvhl.gif

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back