How much are 4.10's worth in the quarter?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
In traffic 2nd gear is my new first and I don't have to shift till at least 35 lol
rollin rollin rollin dawg

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
They will help with your 60' IME. Even with a manual and an extra shift you will still get a better ET.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
How irritating is the 5 speed for street driving w/4.10s, especially in town? I've been considering for a while.

I find 4.10s easier to drive than the 3.55s my car came with, never feels like I am between optimum gears on the street when I am downshifting into a corner for example. I have a 5 speed.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
How much 4.10s (or any more aggressive then stock gearing) will help depends entirely on what kind of setup you have- your powerband, rev limiter, and trans gearing come into play here. That said, I'd have to think that for a

2012 GT Auto
Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 Tune, GT 500 Axleback -resonators, Saleen 18x10/ 18x9, Nittos

...4.10s would provide pretty damn good gains, provided you can hook. I'm not very knowledgeable with the Coyote stuff, but I'd have to think .5 in ET could be gained (again, provided you hook) being that the 5.0 likes to be rev'd and has quite a bit of high RPM power.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^

Yep, for a 2011-2012 auto, its the whole picture that makes the difference. Just 4.10s, well the gain could be debatable. But combine that with a good tire and a good torque converter and now you're talking.

As far as the gearing itself---why would anyone be afraid of 4.10s for a daily driver when the 2011-12 has a 6 speed auto? Your ratios are 4.17 1st - 2.34 2nd- 1.52 3rd - 1.14 4th - .87 5th - .69 6th.

Now with that step 1st gear (4.17 ratio), combined with an aggressive rear gear (4.10-4.88) I wouldn't even bother unless you are prepared to also run a good tire. Otherwise you are just going to spin.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I find 4.10s easier to drive than the 3.55s my car came with, never feels like I am between optimum gears on the street when I am downshifting into a corner for example. I have a 5 speed.

That's some useful info there. That is just the change I'm looking for. So some mods are in the near future, I guess I'll go ahead with these as well.

2012GT

forum member
Reaction score
Some of you 5.0 guys need to learn what the hell is tech and what isnt...

Who gives a crap. You dudes put it where you want to anyways. I post it; you guys make it your job to put everything where you wish, so do what you do. ---- thanks for the responses.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
very considerate of you to make more work for the staff.

2012GT

forum member
Reaction score
I guess that I should've added but I was in a rush posting the original thread( so suck it up mod since you have all the time to put posts where they belong-jeez). Anyway, I'm just trying to get in the 11's with Dr's. I'M at 12.15 to low 12.20 now. I was going to install a circle D but I'm not sold on driving 9 hours to BBR to get it installed and tuned. If it's not right or something goes wrong, I'm 9 hours away. So I figured I may give the 4.10's a go with the tune that I have now and see what happens. ...I better watch out speaking about tuning or a moderator may put this in a different section:tdown:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the mods take a lot of time and effort to keep the board flowing well, if you cannot have the consideration for the volunteer efforts of the staff to help run the board and take a few extra seconds to post appropriately, well you may want to consider checking your attitude or find a different board to post on. 3000+ other active users can make that effort, it's really not that hard.

a converter will go a long way to bettering your ET, no reason you have to go to BBR, you're in one of the hot beds of racing, I have to believe there are shops in SC that can do a converter install for you.

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
i would suggest cleaning the sand out of your vagina and losing the attitude if you want to receive helpful advice in the future as many of the mods also happen to be some of the more knowledgeable people on here,funny how that works. not that your "tech" threads have required much technical knowledge so far.

:popcorneat:

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
That's some useful info there. That is just the change I'm looking for. So some mods are in the near future, I guess I'll go ahead with these as well.

Yep, I'd say 3.90s would be ideal for a bolt on 05-09 GT 5 speed but FRPP doesn't make them. Motive does, but they are supposed to be pretty noisy compared to FRPP. With 3.90 you'd have some room in first gear and also have acceptable cruising gas mileage for highway.

I am used to a short first gear from the imports I owned previously.

I get about 21 highway and 15 city with my 4.10s but run a 87 octane tune to keep the costs down. Highway I am usually at 2200 rpm, low 7x mph for example. (this is off the top of my head, it might be higher/lower idk)

If you can live with losing about 1-2 mpg, then 4.10s are a great buy. With your mod list you will enjoy the car a lot more with 4.10s than the stock gears for sure!

Last edited:

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I guess that I should've added but I was in a rush posting the original thread( so suck it up mod since you have all the time to put posts where they belong-jeez). Anyway, I'm just trying to get in the 11's with Dr's. I'M at 12.15 to low 12.20 now. I was going to install a circle D but I'm not sold on driving 9 hours to BBR to get it installed and tuned. If it's not right or something goes wrong, I'm 9 hours away. So I figured I may give the 4.10's a go with the tune that I have now and see what happens. ...I better watch out speaking about tuning or a moderator may put this in a different section:tdown:

Get rid the Bbr tune and you could get a high 11

Samsung Galaxy 2-better then your iPhone..

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Who gives a crap. You dudes put it where you want to anyways. I post it; you guys make it your job to put everything where you wish, so do what you do. ---- thanks for the responses.

Its really easy..Learn what in the fuck is tech and what isnt. This board keeps the tech section very clean for a damned reason. So, people can search for their answers and not get lost in a cluttered tech thread. So be a good boy, and post in the correct section, and try and figure out tech from non-tech, genius..

2012GT

forum member
Reaction score
the mods take a lot of time and effort to keep the board flowing well, if you cannot have the consideration for the volunteer efforts of the staff to help run the board and take a few extra seconds to post appropriately, well you may want to consider checking your attitude or find a different board to post on. 3000+ other active users can make that effort, it's really not that hard.

a converter will go a long way to bettering your ET, no reason you have to go to BBR, you're in one of the hot beds of racing, I have to believe there are shops in SC that can do a converter install for you.

Jock- Look man, I appreciate your and fellow mods volunteer work, knowledge etc on here. I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you or anyone else. I'm on a Droid at work which is an extremely high stress/risk job. So if I get a chance to look at parts on sites or read a few forum threads, I come up with quick questions. I don't have time to use the search function every time or decipher the exact lexicon of my subject and then stress wheter it's in the proper place or not to post it. I'm worried about far more than you realize during the day and night at work. For God's sake, I didn't post it in the pimpin' it section atleast(or whatever it's called):clap:. I could critique the site all night but that's not why I'm here. Just like I don't want to be brow beat because something isn't "tech" and is drag racing in someone else's eyes. Just a simple example of many: an over axle install is in the "tech" section now and is not in the "DIY" section. Man, I'm just here to make my car the best that I can and if I post something where it's incorrect in someone's eyes, it's not because I have "sand in my vagina" as some idiot put it and a "genius" as Steedman called me in a condescending manner. I've seen some cool guys ran off from here and other places because Mods and members that have no other responsibilities during the day but to make forum posters feel inferior and stupid. Again, thanks for your efforts on the board and if you know where in South Carolina (or close) that does anything with the 11 and 12's , let me know. Brian and Chris Tuten built my 93' Fox but they aren't hip on the Coyote as of yet. Have a good evening.

Last edited:

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Yep, I'd say 3.90s would be ideal for a bolt on 05-09 GT 5 speed but FRPP doesn't make them. Motive does, but they are supposed to be pretty noisy compared to FRPP. With 3.90 you'd have some room in first gear and also have acceptable cruising gas mileage for highway.

I am used to a short first gear from the imports I owned previously.

I get about 21 highway and 15 city with my 4.10s but run a 87 octane tune to keep the costs down. Highway I am usually at 2200 rpm, low 7x mph for example. (this is off the top of my head, it might be higher/lower idk)

If you can live with losing about 1-2 mpg, then 4.10s are a great buy. With your mod list you will enjoy the car a lot more with 4.10s than the stock gears for sure!

Not really too worried about fuel mileage as this car is my toy only and I have no intention of it ever being a DD. I am planning to install LTs and cams in the near future so MPGs are gone in the toilet then anyway. lol So, while I've got the car down I'll add the gears as well.

OP, the mods on here can seem a little cocky at times, but it has to be an aggrevating job to moderate on this or any forum. (and if they are volunteering then I have whole new respect for them) So, have some patience with them and you'll probably find you'll get a lot of good info from them. Its true that most of them have very fast, well built Stangs and have tried a lot of the stuff your looking at doing already themselves. Just my observation since I've been on here.

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
4.10's can also raise your ET's if you already have a problem with hooking up. I have 4.10's and dont have many issues DD'ing the car. My only problem, and it drives me NUTS, is 40 mph. This is probably the most common mph too. At 40mph I am going too slow for 5th gear, and going too fast for 4th gear, so I'm always driving around at like 2k rpm making all sorts of racket because if I shift itll drop the rpm too low and itll do the bog/buck shit.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok you guys feel free to continue your discussion via PM but lets not screw up this thread any further.

attacking_troll_trollcat.jpg

FAST3V

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
For N/A cars.....4.10's FTMFW!!!! I have loved mine, and they have made the difference in several roll races.

at the track, they helped me get my 1.67 60ft....before i did my build.

now that im blown..and making high hp..im dropping down to 3.55's....sooooo..ill be posting my 4.10s up next month

ps...LOVE the "get the sand out of your vagina" post HAHAHAHHAA

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back