How much does the rear tire to quarter gap change when getting a bigger tire?

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
So basically I have a 285/40/18 right now, it says that is technically 26.98 tire height however I measured and got 26 even.

I am getting Nitto NT05's today that are 295/45/18 because I have 4.10's.

It says the tire height is going to be 28.47 so basically 1.47 inchs taller. If divided correctly I estimated that the gap between the rear quarter panel and top of rear tire would get about 1/8th inch smaller. Is this accurate?

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
hmm I only have about 1inch gap right now on driver and 3/4 on passenger. There is no other tire option for me right now. Then again my rear sprints are H&R supersports and stock gas shocks, which i assume may just be sinking. I am putting new Koni, or tokico HP spec shocks on here this week, maybe that will raise it a tad, but not sure.

Last edited:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
So basically I have a 285/40/18 right now, it says that is technically 26.98 tire height however I measured and got 26 even.

I am getting Nitto NT05's today that are 295/45/18 because I have 4.10's.

It says the tire height is going to be 28.47 so basically 1.47 inchs taller. If divided correctly I estimated that the gap between the rear quarter panel and top of rear tire would get about 1/8th inch smaller. Is this accurate?

Your clearance is going to shrink by 3/4".

Here's a couple pic's of my car with a 28" tire and a 29 .. Clearance shrinks with the 29.

I am lowered roughly an inch in the rear.

Attachments

• Hoosier_28_Slick_Staged.jpg
    Hoosier_28_Slick_Staged.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Hoosier_29_Radial_Slick_Staged.jpg
    Hoosier_29_Radial_Slick_Staged.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 26

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Your clearance is going to shrink by 3/4".

Here's a couple pic's of my car with a 28" tire and a 29 .. Clearance shrinks with the 29.

I am lowered roughly an inch in the rear.

I am lowered 1.9 in the rear via H&R super sports. So I am .9 inch's lower. However you have a 29 inch tire, and my 295/45/18 tire setup that I want is 28.47. So that means that the difference is .53. (29 minus 28.47).

So then I would take difference between our cars ride heights (.9) and subtract the amount that I have gathered from our tire size difference (.53) and subtract it. (.9 - .53 = .37) So basically you have .37 of an inch MORE of a gap than I do.

Now whatever the total diameter increase is on a tire you divide by two and thats the amount the sidewall heigh will change(the amount of gap lost)

Example if you have a 27 inch tire, and you go to a 28, your sidewall height will change .5 inch increase.

.37 divided by 2 = .18

So if I am gathering this info correctly, my 295/45/18 combo would be like adding .18 of an inch to your stance in picture number 2. In which case it looks like a 1/4 or less wouldnt hurt much.

I know this is drawn out but I just wanted to make sense of it all and basically from your specs vs my specs, and your second picture, it basically comes down to .18 of an inch less gap for your picture #2 is the amount of gap i would have.

Sorry If i sound like a crazy person LOL

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back