How much of a concern to you is the age of a tire?

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Previously I have either worn them out or sold the car before the five-year mark that is supposed to trigger discard of old, purchase of a new set of tires.

Now the two "spare" sets of tires on useful wheels are getting close to seven and five. On a daily-driver transportation car I'd check frequently for cracks and whatnot and drive some more miles off them; considering the potential of a Coyote-motored Mustang ("Like driving with the hammer cocked"), I'm not that eager to get out there on the highway or track or autocross course on some old rubber that could fracture and fail.

The current wheels/tires are two years old: 19x9 Brembo package/Pirelli PZero 255-40 Summer tires with close to 6,000 miles used. Couple-three autocrosses.

Alternate set Number One is 19x9/10 Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 275-35, close to half tread remaining been on and off the ground since early 2007, to include several autocrosses.

Alternate Number Two is SVT GT500 18x9.5/Goodyear Eagle F1 "Supercar" 285-40 (not the sticky ones) on all corners, half tread remaining, first run in September 2009. Several autocrosses and a track day.

My tentative plan is to invest in a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport 265-45x19 tires for the 19x9 Brembo wheels, as a decent compromise between daily-use and mild competition. I'd move the Pirelli 255-40s to the Parnellis, as a backup or special-occasion set, not to mention the panache of having Pirellis on Parnellis.

That eliminates one set that aged out (PS2s) and leaves a set of old but useful square 285-18s for emergencies.

According to the Tire Rack charts, the swapped tires are within the recommended size/wheel-width parameters.

Of course I could just leave the "spares" out on the curb, to solve (what my wife views as) the storage problem.

What else should I be thinking about here?

Ike

forum member
Reaction score
Extras in the backseat doesn't hurt.

I mean you're talking tens of thousands into a car and skimping on the most important, yet relatively cheap <$300 part.

I just usually bring spares for drifting on the tracks' skidpads between sessions.

Ike

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't drive on extreme performance summer or racing tires over a year old if its garaged, or six months if outside or on the car.

Usually I'm getting a new set of ZIIs or Rivals or something every month.... I prefer these to what you've listed except pilot sport cups which are borderline with hoosiers.

And if not that then basically I replace racy tires every year on the racy car.

Or just carry a full size spare for the beater car and not worry about when one goes.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Most important thing to remember with a tire is that external inspection does not tell you everything you want to see. Anything stored for that long, might be ok for regular driving. Non spirited thatis. Track usage of any kind......NO WAY!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Ford and Chrysler both recommend discarding tires once they become 7 years old.

As far as that 265/45/19 size you mentioned, you may wanna re-think that size ... it's 28.4" tall compared to the 27" tall 255/40/19 or 285/40/18

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Ford and Chrysler both recommend discarding tires once they become 7 years old.

As far as that 265/45/19 size you mentioned, you may wanna re-think that size ... it's 28.4" tall compared to the 27" tall 255/40/19 or 285/40/18

[I said: My tentative plan is to invest in a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport 265-45x19 tires for the 19x9 Brembo wheels...]

Yikes!

Well, even with a 28.4-inch tire I wouldn't be in too deep a hole with my 2-3-4-5-speed transmission (regular 6-speed with 3.73 axle). I didn't see a Michelin Super Sport in the 265-45x19 size; seems as if I chose the 265-40 which is 27.4", and mis-typed.

Thanks for the catch.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it's got those fine little lines/cracks from dry rot or bubbled sidewalls, I replace them ASAP. Otherwise, I don't worry about it too much for a street tire and just replace them when they get down to the wear bars.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back