how much power can a stock gt500 driveshaft take?

jre8806

S197 Member
Reaction score
Well I couldnt seem to find this on the search tab or google. Just bought the car early Feb. and my goal for the car is 600 rwhp and was wondering if I need to replace the driveshaft with an aluminum one. First list of mods I believe is the JLT Carbon Fiber Intake + pulley kit stage 2 from brenspeed, LTs and 3 inch catback. All tips and advice would be appreciated to get to the goal :)

fiverivers

forum member
Reaction score
for a gt500 get the Whipple 3.4 and call it a day. that thing will put out around 650+ hp. And there is no use for getting a after-market intake. infact get the intake from a 08 or a 09 gt500 which is an open element system. the super snake makes around 750 hp and uses the stock drive shaft. also the cobra jet uses the same engine(same block and internals) but with a whipple 4.0, drag headers and no exhaust.

Last edited:

Dr Wu

Faraway
Reaction score
Aluminum Drive Shaft

Get it! It's the best mod I've made with zero disadvantages. The car is noticeably quicker and responsive. IMHO the strength of the stock unit is irrelevant because it's so heavy. With drag radials or slicks everyone I've seen making that kind of power at the track uses an aluminum DS and a loop. There are several reputable brands. I chose Axle Exchange, it is a high-quality piece and I have not experienced any vibrations. It shaved almost a tenth off my 60'.

Good luck and have fun with that car!

Last edited:
Back