How to diagnose rod knock vs valve train knock?? Sigh, tired of that car...

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
Removed TC.....shaked it..... It's making noise. Seems that something dropped, i can feel the hole assembly bouncing inside!

Now, is my oil pump ok? No metal shaving in oil. Damn you tci!

Last edited:

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
It would be time to open up the pan and have a good check. Also time to invest in a good converter, I had that TCI one for about 2 months before I pulled it cause it was making a rubbing sound also. If you don't have the hardened input shaft get it along with the new converter, a new flex plate may also be needed pending the converter. I went to a circle D and really feel it was one of my better investments.

As far as starting the engine without the trans, Doesn't sound like a good idea but someone here may say it can be done, don't know.

Did you keep your stock converter? if so put that back in and give it a start.

Last edited:

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
It would be time to open up the pan and have a good check. Also time to invest in a good converter, I had that TCI one for about 2 months before I pulled it cause it was making a rubbing sound also. If you don't have the hardened input shaft get it along with the new converter, a new flex plate may also be needed pending the converter. I went to a circle D and really feel it was one of my better investments.

As far as starting the engine without the trans, Doesn't sound like a good idea but someone here may say it can be done, don't know.

Did you keep your stock converter? if so put that back in and give it a start.

Same here, it lasted 2 months! I have the hardened input shaft, and the only reason that i bought tci TC is bacause of build time. I was in us for a trip and didn't had time to wait, that's why i ordered it from summit next day shipping.

Yes, i still have the stock one, i think i will re install it. If everything is ok, i may sell that car. Buying a house on the way, will not have time and patience to fix that car!

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Same here, it lasted 2 months! I have the hardened input shaft, and the only reason that i bought tci TC is bacause of build time. I was in us for a trip and didn't had time to wait, that's why i ordered it from summit next day shipping.

Yes, i still have the stock one, i think i will re install it. If everything is ok, i may sell that car. Buying a house on the way, will not have time and patience to fix that car!

Good luck, hope that works and you can save the dollars for that house.
On a side note if that turns out to be a lower engine problem I saw this stock shortblock for sale on ebay for $1,100.00 with only 5k on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-09-Ford-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a318ba49c&vxp=mtr

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
The noise in your videos is not rod knock, which has a very distinct "double tap" sound. I've personally heard it many times. Your videos have a single tap. I think you probably found the problem with the TC.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
find someone local with a disassembled 5spd 3650 and you can bolt up the bell housing flywheel and starter to start the engine and go from there with your diag. I have a disassembled 5spd but shipping to cali would kill you, plus I need this one for reassembly

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Paps, listening to the video again and it seems the loudest from the front of the car. I know you said you have the revised phaser but from the pic you showed it kinda looks like the old one? It's hard to tell from that angle. The pic below shows both the new and old with the older one having the wider spring.

ZklinUA.jpg

Last edited:

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
No, i didn't say i have the revised one. From the picture i'am sure i have the old one. Thank you for that, gonna check valvetrain now'. Btw i managed to borrow a stetoscope, i will try it today.
I have a friend that is a mechanic, he said to bring the car. Can i drive the car as is?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would be running that car as little as possible until you find the problem. You dont want to damage it anymore.

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
I would be running that car as little as possible until you find the problem. You dont want to damage it anymore.
Oh yeah no more damage please....it's a 5 miles trip, i think i will not drive it

I had a foxbody with a cracked flex plate and it sounded like that

Interesting, i'm sure i have inspected flexplate, how big was the crack?? Easily noticeable?

Used that stetoscope, can't really tell. Anyone has tips to use it? When i look at the flexplate, it looks like it's warped. Maybe i'm going crazy...

Edit:

Huh? Just found this
http://s962.photobucket.com/user/NitroMustang/media/Broke car/MVI_3540.mp4.html
Same noise?

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Gonna die. Re installed trans with old tc, and noise still there . No more ideas.... FML

Is that double tap sound could be valvetrain related?

What was the point of this if you thought the TC was bad? :deadhorse:

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Well I bought the car and it sounded like that already. The crack was small and looked like someone tried to somewhat repair it and it sounded horrible

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Duh, lol.

I doubt is in the valve train, as in lash adjusters or other sort of non wear items like that. If anything I would suspect tensioners or the cam phasers. Maybe install the timing parts first...

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I will replace lash adjuster/ followers for a piece of mind along with phasers! If noise still there, i promise i will throw that car to the bridge! Haha

The lash adjusters and followers are expensive and time consuming to replace if not necessary. Do the phasers first. I have seen bnib oem phasers fail so there is that.. I know they are not that old but pretty confident this is a good place to start and they are cheap.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back