How to diagnose rod knock vs valve train knock?? Sigh, tired of that car...

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
Will do! Just ordered a set of camshaft drive kit from steve at tasca. (Nice guy)
Now i have to wait at least 3 weeks before getting them. (Post office really sucks in tahiti, lazyy as hell! Lol)
Thank you all, i'll update once i got them

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, i just received lash adjusters and followers.
I read a lot, but it concerns only cams swap.
Now the question is:
Can i replace all lash adjusters and followers without removing cams?

I mean i have to set the crankshaft damper spoke at 12' o'clock position so that 3 cam followers on each side have the least amount of spring pressure.
Using compressor valve tool i could replace those.
Then moving crankshaft to 6 o'clock position and do the same for the last ones? Then all is done?
Help on this please!

Phaser kit will arrive in 4-5 weeks only

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Followers yes, adjusters, no, unless you somehow bled them empty, they hit the cam. Unless someone found a way to do it...

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
The correct way is to remove cams then? Wut...

Remove the cam caps after you remove the followers, you should be able to tip the cam up with the phaser left on and remove the lash adjusters.

Make sure you have the tools like the wedge and spring compressor before you start this project. Also make sure when you compress those springs the lobes are not pressing against the valve, this is where that rotation of the crank comes into play. When compressing the spring if you feel it to be difficult you may be hitting the piston so always check so you don't bend a valve.

If you don't have the tools, I've seen some people on here say that using a garden hose to wedge the chain after you rotate the engine so the least amount of pressure from cam lobes are in contact with the springs, then carefully loosen the cam caps works well. You could then tip the cam, remove and replace lash adjusters and carefully tighten down the cam caps, no tools needed then but I've never done this so someone who has may chime in.

Last edited:

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
thought i could fab the wedge but, no one has a valve compressor tool! AWESOME, even Ford dealer doesn't have that.(i mean in their garage, i just asked how would they do that then? He answered that they had to remove heads to change valvetrain components.....they just suck)
Just ordered a valve comp + wedge tool from tad with forum discount, yaY!
Car will sit again for 3 weeks....waiting period is anoying me, i wish i had everything near me.

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Side note, ruling out your transmission noise, I have a 3650. Same problem as you it seems. Gonna rip my valve covers off today. Have a look at your tensioner I had on bolt shear off of one once. But the noise didn't come and go.

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
Got compressor and wedge tool yesterday, starting removing lash adjusters and followers today.
Phasers haven't arrvived yet, do you think i could remove adjusters by loosing cam screws and tilt cam up?

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
BE CAREFUL but yes you can remove the cams under spring tension. YOU HAVE to do it in steps and slowly/equally remove the caps or you can break the front cam cap. Those caps are align honed and you will be hard pressed to just slap a new one on if you break one..

Take your time and losen them incrementally

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
He was going to remove the three springs to unload the cam first I believe. He has the tool.

Yes!

BE CAREFUL but yes you can remove the cams under spring tension. YOU HAVE to do it in steps and slowly/equally remove the caps or you can break the front cam cap. Those caps are align honed and you will be hard pressed to just slap a new one on if you break one..

Take your time and losen them incrementally

Ok, taking my time on it, but i can't remove #8 follower with tool....break time

d532b735143638817f4c7e54e9def355_zps4f841a18.jpg

how to tighten that screw now? Lol

(Sorry crappy ipad pic....)

Thanks for advices

Last edited:

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Paps make sure your not trying to compress that spring on no#8 with it at TDC, you may be hitting the piston if your having trouble compressing it enough to get the follower out.

Last edited:

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Still gotta replace the phasers though eh?

You know, that bridge picture reminds me of a story. I had a 04 escape a while back. I was ready to get rid of it, I was gonna sell it for $5000. But I ended up rear ending some guy with it. My insurance paid me out $10000 and since it was my first at fault they forgave me too. No rise in premiums. lol. Problem solved itself.

Paid off the mustang with that pay out too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back