How-to: Easy Factory HID Headlight Install

Huls2304

Shenanigans
Reaction score
At least I think it was... :burnout: I left out the bumper removal as there are plenty of how-to write ups on that subject. I did a lot of research on a better way of installing the factory HID headlights into a halogen car without splicing into the factory harness. After finding out how the factory HID headlights works it was as simple as finding a relay harness for the H13 (9008) input to output a control for Bi-Xenon projector headlights.

I ordered this harness from theretrofitsource.com Bi-xenon: 'MotoControl 9008/H13 - Relay Harnesses from The Retrofit Source Inc which was exactly what I needed. It had a control for the HID ballast that wouldn't turn off the low beams when the high beams turned on, and a control for the high beam solenoid to open the shutter for the high beams. The only problem is this harness uses 9006 (two pin) connectors for the ballast and solenoid output so I would have to splice into those to make it work with the 4 pin input for the HID headlights. This is what the output from the harness looks like.
MorimotoMotocontrolRelayBits-9211l.jpg

Now, if you look at the wiring diagrams Ford Service Manuals - Wiring Diagrams for the HID headlights you will see that there are inputs for the factory ballast instead of one. This is because they use the same smart junction box on the HID cars and non-hid cars. One wire stays hot (the yellow-red on the left, and blue-red on the right) when the low beam turns off, as it would with a halogen car. The answer to this problem is to combine the Brown-Blue and Yellow-Red on the left light and the Red-Blue and Blue-Green on the right side. This will power your lights in high and low beam operation. Now all that is left is the to wire the "projector" labeled output from the retrofit harness to yellow-violet wire on both lights. As you can see from the diagram everything shares a common ground in the factory headlights, so just wire the ground from the retrofitsource harness to a grounded bolt. This is a picture of the left side light spliced and ready to go.
20120714_152315.jpg

Now that the headlights are wired to the retrofitsource harness. Here is a youtube video of how to wire a similar harness to a Mustang.

If done correctly it should look like this. :rockon:
20120714_185629.jpg

I'm not sure if that made sense, but if you have any questions let me know.

Huls2304

Shenanigans
Reaction score
I got them off a guy on Craigslist for 400, which is a killer deal. I know that they pop up on ebay quite a bit, though. They're 779 a piece new online, which is pretty steep.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
^^ Lucky SOB. I've been lookin for a good deal on a set of these for months haha. Good write up though for when I do find a set.

Huls2304

Shenanigans
Reaction score
Yeah... I really did. I'll keep an eye out for some and let you guys know if any good deals come up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back