How to reset speedometer?

doodad

Let's race!
Reaction score
I traded my gauge cluster with my friend and the mileage from his car came with it. How do i have it read my actual mileage? Is this a costly thing? Thank you!

Sent from HTC MyTouch 4G via tapatalk

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC it's a dealer thing. Did u search? I know it's been asked.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First of all its not speedometer, its odometer.

Yes its exspensive 300-400$.

The ford dealer has to download your mileage and vin info off your cluster and put it in the new cluster. Otherwise it is odometer fraud if you just show up with a new cluster/different vin and tell them what your mileage was lol

doodad

Let's race!
Reaction score
if i claim the miles on the cluster as my actual miles, then it would be a fraud. On the day i got them, i made a sticker, and stuck it right below the door sticker and it says, "due to gauge cluster replacement, add 9,100 miles to obtain the wctual mileage if the vehicle" dated and signed it. I even had emissions done, explained to them and they were like ok then.

So, what about those who buys new clusters or aftermarket?

Sent from HTC MyTouch 4G via tapatalk

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
All of the states titles have a clause/section where you state the actual miles, for when you go to sell, it's up to you to be honest, and it sounds like you are anyway.
I just put a Explorer dash in my Ranger, and "lost" 65K, lol. Mechanical, not PCM driven.
For only 9k, the $400 cost is not worth it!

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
There is a place in Richmond, Va that can change it. It cost 160. bucks or so when I had my cluster fixed. You have to send them proof of the mileage and what not.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:thud: It is not illegal to own or drive a car with incorrect mileage on the odometer. It is illegal to sell the car without informing a new purchaser of the incorrect mileage. Have any of you actually read your title/pink or a bill of sale?

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
My local speedo shop said they can't do my 2010 cluster. They said the software is not out yet. Not sure if true or not.

Dealers generally don't mess with odometers or have the equipment because they dont want to deal with the liability.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back