I give up, can't get EVAP to "ready" state

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I followed the Ford procedures for the emission to be all complete/ready.

I got all of them ready but the evap. I tried with 3/4 tank and 1/2 tank of fuel, constant 40 to 50 mile cruise but after the third try and wasting fuel don't know what else I can do.

The car has no other cel. Car is catless and supercharged.

Any other tips or suggestions?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
WIld guess. If u have no rear o2s, how are the cats showing ready, which if not ready can cause a cascade effect for other monitors.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
The rear 02 are in place, even though I have no cats. .lito made me the tune.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
It took me a very long time to get my evap to be ready...I believe over a week if I remember correctly. Are you logging the emissions pid's to see the data? I'm sure Lito has you doing that but I figured I would ask to be sure.

You have to be very light footed on the throttle.

ProCrsh

Reaction score
Just a heads up I'm in the same boat. I was told somewhere around 200 miles is needed for it to set. I contacted dan at Realspeed who did my tuning and he's taking a deeper look into getting some type of answer figured out. Apparently a lot of guys on Long Island are running into this issue.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
200 miles? Oh my lol...I don't daily drive this car.

Road trip to Maine for lobster lunch (and back)

I had a similar issue several years ago and just headed north into Tennessee for a couple hours had lunch and turned around and came home

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
No I don't have the spacers or foulers , the 02 and catalyst are complete though...

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
To get the EVAP to run there is two way. There is an 8 hr cold soak that needs to be set for it to run. The way I do it. (Faster way) is clear the codes right when u jump in the car. (Cold) this will bypass the 8 hr cold soak requirement. Then u have 15min to jump on the highway for steady state driving. Pls not yur fuel tank should be about 1/2 (to keep it simple ) and your IAT need a to be between 70-100 degs. I it's higher it won't run. If this is the case. Use a resistor and jump the IAT. Make it red about 90 degs. (I have done this many times on FI cars ) and it will pass. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
My iat has not gone over 100* trying to get the rediness. I start it up(cold start) and drive to the highway within 10min.

Ambiant temps are around low to mid 40* and by the time I'm on the highway the iat is about 72*.

Going to try it one more time then use the resistor mod.

posted via Tapatalk

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
When I had a Brenspeed emissions tune with my stock motor running a Roush M90 kit I always had luck using this method:
3/4 tank of fuel. Drive back roads for about 5 miles varying speed and rpms. Park the car and let it sit overnight. Do the same back roads the next day, same method of driving. EVAP system readiness always became "ready" or passed using this method. In my experience jumping on the highway and just driving doesn't work. It has to be varied speed and load. Good luck.

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Got your evap to "ready" state? I followed the Ford procedure also and got evap ready, got freakin lucky! it took me a couple of days to get that damn thing ready the last time I went. I just got my catalyst monitor ready and taking the car in for inspection tomorrow, all monitors are in ready mode. I have no cats also and using the non fouler trick, I passed 2 years ago with it.

ProCrsh

Reaction score
Got your evap to "ready" state? I followed the Ford procedure also and got evap ready, got freakin lucky! it took me a couple of days to get that damn thing ready the last time I went. I just got my catalyst monitor ready and taking the car in for inspection tomorrow, all monitors are in ready mode. I have no cats also and using the non fouler trick, I passed 2 years ago with it.

Not to hijack the thread but how are you running cat less. I've been for the longest time but Florida registered. I have to swap it up this year, what's the trick?

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
Have your tuner turn off the rear o2's. If they are turned off then you can run without cats. Mine are and have passed 2 inspections, though in Ontario canada its just an obd code check, if no codes are up then you pass. If its an actual tailpipe emission test may be outta luck.

The non fouler trick is to buy 4 of http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dorman-42002...ccessories&hash=item2334041f2f&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Drill 2 of them out to 1/2". Thats the ones the o2 sensors screw into. Screw that assembly into a fouler thats not drilled out. I also packed this one tight with steel wool. This moves the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream. Since it doesnt see that its bad exhaust, it wont trip the cel. Have this setup on my 04 dodge ram. Cats went bad so spent $20 on this trick rather than a few hundred for new cats.

Tune has many more benefits though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back