I need FUCKING help, im losing my mind here.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was given a Craftsman Gt lawn tractor this week. The previous owner couldnt keep it running so he pulled the carb apart and tried his best at rebuilding it. Well what he failed to realize was that what he thought was trash was actually the main jet. He remembers something brass falling out. Now ive spent hours trying to find a part number. This is what i do know, Its a Nikki carb, part number 24 053 25. Also its a Kohler 20 hp, engine model number CV20S. An online manual shows its a .040 jet. I cant find a part number to save my life. Im hoping that some of you more internet savvy guys can help me out. Please help me out.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get with brian, he pointed me to a company his uses on line that was for chainsaws and shit but they could prolly help out with the carburetor stuff like they did on my chainsaw.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ive found the part number but is discontinued. I refuse to pay 100+ for a new carb when all i need is a 4 dollar part.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Go to any mower shop and they will have it. Tell them what size carb and motor and they will hook you up.

Word for word from 6 different shops "good luck man, you are going to have to buy a smaller jet and drill it out."

Ive talked to all of the major online retailers and none of them can get the stock jet. The only way to get it is with a new carb.

When i asked about a smaller jet i was told theyd need the fuel shut off solenoid in hand to make sure it screws in. I found a place online that list the sizes of their jets so im going to lowes to see what size the threads are.

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
Bite the bullet and just buy a new carb and be done with it.
Your gonna waste more time looking and just getting more pissed off...

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL you are probably right but i refuse to spend a ton of money on something i got for free.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Actually the way to look at it is that you got a great riding mower for $100.

PM incoming. ;)

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
LOL you are probably right but i refuse to spend a ton of money on something i got for free.

OK!! LoL.. Be sure to keep posting as you get more and more pissed off!!

Na, I hear ya! I love tinkering on anything with a motor. Good luck, hope you find the part.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
If you coukd maybe cross reference to a motorcycle part number would that help?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats what i did this morning. They dont open around here to tuesday though.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Bring it out here to my dad; he'll fix you up if he can, as he's done all kinds of crazy fixes to mowers, 80% of the time due to fuel system issues. Might even have one of those jets...tell you what, I'll ask if he has any.
But by the time you drive here and back twice to let him fix it, and whatever he'd want to fix it, you're better off getting that carb.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its fixed!!!!!! A guy on another forum sent me a jet for an onan generator. It was the right thread pitch and length but not the right jet size. No big deal right? Well it wasnt, it was an easy fix. Drilled it out and installed it. Readjusted the idle air mixture, idle speed screw, and governor all to factory specs. Turn the key and boom, it fired right up. Verified it wasnt running lean/rich and it wasnt. Im a happy guy.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back