I passed inspection!

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
What are inspections? hahaaa

Good old Oklahoma. We just blow that crap over to the next state. lol

Same in Arkansas. I kept my vehicle registered here when I moved to Nashville, TN to avoid any inspections.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm, I just failed my NJ inspection but it was because they couldn't read anything off the PCM. Apparently 15 miles isn't enough to get everything reading. And yes I know this is an old thread but it still applies.

The monitors are disabled in the tune if the scanner doesn't read any status. If that's the case, you'll never go ready.

Have you passed before ??

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was regestered in WI before so it's never been inspected before. The lady that did the inspection said I needed to drive it more and cone back. Eric Swarr said drive it on the highway for 5-8 miles going 60-65 2 times and 10 miles city. The lady said it wasn't reading anything there not that it wasn't reading. I just drove it to the inspection center first chance I had as I didn't want to get hassled for no inspection sticker.

travelers

Reaction score
I was regestered in WI before so it's never been inspected before. The lady that did the inspection said I needed to drive it more and cone back. Eric Swarr said drive it on the highway for 5-8 miles going 60-65 2 times and 10 miles city. The lady said it wasn't reading anything there not that it wasn't reading. I just drove it to the inspection center first chance I had as I didn't want to get hassled for no inspection sticker.

If you drove from Eric's place to your home then it should have been enough. I used to drive from McGuire to my house when I had to have it inspected I would load the emission tune before I cam home and it would pass which was 50 miles. I have a Lund tune in the '11 GT and it only has 3 items to monitor out of 7or 8 monitors.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Sometimes it takes longer than 50 miles, sometimes shorter. You have to cover the parameters in the drive cycle. It might take 10 miles it might take 100 miles. some systems won;t check if the tank is too full or empty. Lot's of variables in the drive cycle.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I trailered it home and drove it straight to the inspection site so it had maybe 15 miles on it. If the rear O2 sensors are turned off in the tune will that cause me to fail? I drove it 35 miles yesterday and will drive it more today and tomorrow. Other then getting 1 code for the left cam P0011 yesterday the tune has great drivability and throwing the code didn't affect anything in the drive. I have the VTC turned off though and have the Livernois cam phaser locks on it.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes longer than 50 miles, sometimes shorter. You have to cover the parameters in the drive cycle. It might take 10 miles it might take 100 miles. some systems won;t check if the tank is too full or empty. Lot's of variables in the drive cycle.

Exactly, it takes me about 10 miles, but I have to strictly follow the driving cycle to the "t" or I wont get all the sensor ready.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Haha, drove the car about 80 miles and failed again. From what the inspector told me it failed because stuff is turned off in the tune and it isn't following the stock MAP. He suggested posing the stock tune in just before going through the inspection. He said it would run lean but as soon as the inspection was done I could load the other tune back in. I'm really hesitant do that however.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I trailered it home and drove it straight to the inspection site so it had maybe 15 miles on it. If the rear O2 sensors are turned off in the tune will that cause me to fail? I drove it 35 miles yesterday and will drive it more today and tomorrow. Other then getting 1 code for the left cam P0011 yesterday the tune has great drivability and throwing the code didn't affect anything in the drive. I have the VTC turned off though and have the Livernois cam phaser locks on it.

Haha, drove the car about 80 miles and failed again. From what the inspector told me it failed because stuff is turned off in the tune and it isn't following the stock MAP. He suggested posing the stock tune in just before going through the inspection. He said it would run lean but as soon as the inspection was done I could load the other tune back in. I'm really hesitant do that however.

Yeah, if the sensors are turned off you won't pass. If they are turned back on and you don't have cats you won't pass. If you have a CEL you won't pass.

As far as running the stock tune it depends on your mods. One if it will run well enough to drive, and two if it will run well enough not to throw any CELs.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
No, that is a fucking horrible idea.

The tuner needs to either force readiness, or leave the emissions parameters alone. Been through this like 10 times with local people who have emissions mods on all kinds of cars. The NY DMV updated their system in the past couple of years, and it sounds like NJ did too, to where they used to look for "failed" or "incomplete" for everything, and fail if it was reporting too many of either... to the new system looking for key tests, and if they do not report as ready, it fails the car automatically.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, that is a fucking horrible idea.

The tuner needs to either force readiness, or leave the emissions parameters alone. Been through this like 10 times with local people who have emissions mods on all kinds of cars. The NY DMV updated their system in the past couple of years, and it sounds like NJ did too, to where they used to look for "failed" or "incomplete" for everything, and fail if it was reporting too many of either... to the new system looking for key tests, and if they do not report as ready, it fails the car automatically.

I agree. I need to get the tune fixed. Funny thing is I bet it would probably pass a sniffer test no problem.

remainvayne

Reaction score
I agree. I need to get the tune fixed. Funny thing is I bet it would probably pass a sniffer test no problem.

All you need is the monitors set to "not supported" instead of simply turned off. This is exactly how my emissions tune works and I pass without needing to complete any drive cycle.

travelers

Reaction score
I agree I wouldn't put the stock tune in. the others have some good ideas with the tune set to forced readiness

Al Guapo

forum member
Reaction score
I failed 3x already here in NJ. O2, O2 heater and catalytic are "not ready". Already put about 300 miles since the battery disconnect.

A local shop said that I may have a lazy O2 sensor or maybe the tune by the other shop shut off the cat sensor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back