IAT with an Edelbrock blower

Johnstone

forum member
Reaction score
last summer I had an issue with my temp going up to 182F.
After replacing my melted Cats and replacing my heat exchanger to a better one I am now getting 155 - 160 on WOT

crusing I stay between 106 to 114

what are some of you getting?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Need more info . . .

What is the ambient temperature at both the cruising and WOT temps you indicate?

How quickly are you seeing the rise, and then how quickly (if at all) do temps drop back down?

What HE and IC pump are you using?

Bottom line, if you are seeing 155-160, your car will be pulling timing to save itself. But, more info would help paint a better picture for us.

Johnstone

forum member
Reaction score
How much boost are you running? How long does it take to get to 155?
11lbs boost and its gets there pretty quick once car is hot. this is only at WOT. it droppes immediately once I cruise.

Need more info . . .

What is the ambient temperature at both the cruising and WOT temps you indicate?

How quickly are you seeing the rise, and then how quickly (if at all) do temps drop back down?

What HE and IC pump are you using?

Bottom line, if you are seeing 155-160, your car will be pulling timing to save itself. But, more info would help paint a better picture for us.
I haven't noticed ambient temp. I'll check it out. I have a GT500 pump with a custom EC

the temp spikes only on WOT.

I think part my problem is that my CAI doesnt get enough outside air. what you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
What year is the car ? Manual or automatic? I replaced the oem upper grille on my 2010 auto (with small M90 blower / 5.8 psi boost)..with the 7 bar grille (foglamp delete). That eliminates 2 x 90 deg bends. Air now flows directly into the... 'snorkel' that feeds the oem airbox. The 05-09 cars get the 9 bar upper grille (upper foglamp delete). On the 10-12 cars, the oem upper grille is mostly blocked off.

11 psi is a bunch. Most tuners will have their tune, start to pull timing when IAT's hit 135 F.

I'm typ seeing 120 F at cruise. Drops down to 105F with gas mashed / blower on. Then slowly comes back up to 120-125.

Johnstone

forum member
Reaction score
What year is the car ? Manual or automatic? I replaced the oem upper grille on my 2010 auto (with small M90 blower / 5.8 psi boost)..with the 7 bar grille (foglamp delete). That eliminates 2 x 90 deg bends. Air now flows directly into the... 'snorkel' that feeds the oem airbox. The 05-09 cars get the 9 bar upper grille (upper foglamp delete). On the 10-12 cars, the oem upper grille is mostly blocked off.

11 psi is a bunch. Most tuners will have their tune, start to pull timing when IAT's hit 135 F.

I'm typ seeing 120 F at cruise. Drops down to 105F with gas mashed / blower on. Then slowly comes back up to 120-125.
2010 Manual and yes I changed my stock grill to a 7bar. much more air and still pretty High I think. I was thinking of changing my hood to have a functional air scoop.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Unless you live in a very cold part of the country, I would highly suggest a more water concentrated mix. At least 25/75.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
let us know if it decreases the temp by a single degree (changing the mix)

Every other thread I've seen with IAT has gone on for years without any real data/success for decreasing temps, except those who go the nuclear option of adding 200 lb of shit to the car with a killer chiller (and still I don't see much very good stuff on that,) or the real solution, going over to a complete DOB setup.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
let us know if it decreases the temp by a single degree (changing the mix)
I'm sure changing the mix won't solve his problem, but it will certainly help. Antifreeze doesn't transfer heat nearly as well as water. All you need is enough antifreeze to keep it from freezing.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'm sure changing the mix won't solve his problem, but it will certainly help. Antifreeze doesn't transfer heat nearly as well as water. All you need is enough antifreeze to keep it from freezing.

I live in the high desert. I don't run any antifreeze in my inter-cooler system. Just distilled water and Water Wetter. I run a little antifreeze in my engine cooling though, just a touch.

Johnstone

forum member
Reaction score
I'll try the mix but dought it will make a noticeable difference. I really think I need more fresh air coming in. 11lbs of boost is quite a bit

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a flow issue to me. Depending on ambient I'll cruise anywhere from 80-115°F. But pullied to 12psi it still takes me a couple pulls to hit 130. While my blower is smaller it definitely doesn't have the cooling capacity of the Edelbrock.

What's the custom EC?

Johnstone

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a flow issue to me. Depending on ambient I'll cruise anywhere from 80-115°F. But pullied to 12psi it still takes me a couple pulls to hit 130. While my blower is smaller it definitely doesn't have the cooling capacity of the Edelbrock.

What's the custom EC?
Ec I meant to say HE. (heat exchanger)

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Hopefully you don't have an air bubble or something. Even when I'm stuck in traffic in 100+ degree heat the highest I've seen is 140. The one time I saw 160 was when the pump died.

Johnstone

forum member
Reaction score
Hopefully you don't have an air bubble or something. Even when I'm stuck in traffic in 100+ degree heat the highest I've seen is 140. The one time I saw 160 was when the pump died.
I only get those numbers at WOT like 6k RPMs in third gear.. at a stand still at a red light I'm at 112 114.. cruising I've seen tonight 114 to 120.. it's at Wide Open Throttle when my problem is.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I only get those numbers at WOT like 6k RPMs in third gear.. at a stand still at a red light I'm at 112 114.. cruising I've seen tonight 114 to 120.. it's at Wide Open Throttle when my problem is.

That's why I think it's a flow problem. Actually, how big is the reservoir for the intercooler?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back