Ice in intercooler tank - Distilled?

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
When you are adding ice to your intercooler tank for lower IATs, are you going to the trouble of freezing distilled water? Or just domestic water?

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
we got a few ice house's we can get 20 lb bags for $2.00 ea. I am going for my first time to a local 1/8th mile track for test and tune night I haven't had my car back from shop long enough to test my trunk mounted resorvoir loaded with ice I think it should hold about 30 - 40ish lbs I am a newbee to the drag strip so wish me LUCK! I have the power but have to polish up my reaction time and launching skills without over spinning the tires!
I will be running stock 17" bullets with MT ET STREET 26x11.5x17's out back... we will see if i can tame the beast i created and come out with some decent 60 ft's and ET's..:beerdrink:

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
run regular ice my first trip to strip made 4 passes my best 1/8th mile time was 7.28 at 98.51 mph 1.81 60 ft time. I was spinning tires to much I am going to tweak the air presure a little and try heating the tires up more next time.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
When you are adding ice to your intercooler tank for lower IATs, are you going to the trouble of freezing distilled water? Or just domestic water?
Plain ol' bags of ice from the grocery store. I usually take 100 to 140 lbs with me (depending on the weather).

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ice or

Any ice will do,buy lots, i went through 160 lbs of ice in 10 passes at my last NMRA event in Milan.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ice or

Wait until Charlotte.

I was there last year,100+ air temp,70% humidity,track surface temp 130+,i made it to the finals against Gary Parker,my car could not run the number,more ice would have helped,lesson learned.

BlownAway05

still too slow
Reaction score
OP, are you talking about adding ice into the intercooler tank that comes with the whipple? Or a trunk mounted or battery relocate tank?

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
OP, are you talking about adding ice into the intercooler tank that comes with the whipple? Or a trunk mounted or battery relocate tank?

A reservoir under the hood, not necessarily the stock whipple unit though, I don't think you could get ice in the opening.

I asked because I didn't think you would want domestic water in your system re: corrosion.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back