if you adjusted your pinion angle, come in!

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Pinion angle cause a clunking in the rear between shifts? Only notice it at low RPMs really.

I can't remember when it started doing this. I'll be checking it out in the morning.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
1 pc DS, just measured +1.4 at the trans and -.5at the rear end. So I lowered the front of my pinion another 1 degree.

Last edited:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Question relating to this:

I had LCAs with relocation brackets and an adjustable upper. I removed the LCA brackets and never adjusted my upper. I'm getting a popping sound coming from the rear. Around the same time I dismantled and checked my rear brakes, but everything was reinstalled correctly and torqued to spec. Will the adjustable upper not being adjusted right cause a popping sound? I have a stocker that I'm putting in soon, but this is making me a little nervous. I also know I have bad tie rods up front, but the sound is distinctly coming from the trunk.

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
Question relating to this:

I had LCAs with relocation brackets and an adjustable upper. I removed the LCA brackets and never adjusted my upper. I'm getting a popping sound coming from the rear. Around the same time I dismantled and checked my rear brakes, but everything was reinstalled correctly and torqued to spec. Will the adjustable upper not being adjusted right cause a popping sound? I have a stocker that I'm putting in soon, but this is making me a little nervous. I also know I have bad tie rods up front, but the sound is distinctly coming from the trunk.
That popping sound is more than likely your U joints binding. This is not good. When you took the LCA brackets off it changed the pinion angle and it must now be reset.
Either set it correctly right now or put the LCA brackets back on until you can. A drive shaft coming out of the car at speed is a very ugly and dangerous thing.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Would u joints pop while turning and accelerating? The popping only happens turning or a lateral slide. Been snowy here.

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
Would u joints pop while turning and accelerating? The popping only happens turning or a lateral slide. Been snowy here.
Accelerating and decelerating is where you notice it most. Can't say about turning....maybe if the suspension is loading just right to cause a bind. Does it go "bump-bump-bump"?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
No. Just one pop. Doesn't happen under straight line acceleration. Turning or sliding only. Doesn't happen all the time either.

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
No. Just one pop. Doesn't happen under straight line acceleration. Turning or sliding only. Doesn't happen all the time either.
Sounds like time for a thorough inspection of your suspenstion linkages and panhard bar. I would do that sooner rather than later.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I shook the front end down the other day. My tie rods are going, but they aren't super awful. I haven't touched the rear end aside from the upper and lowers. I think I did have to remove a panhard bolt to remove the relocation brackets though. Would a loose PHB bolt cause a popping?

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
I shook the front end down the other day. My tie rods are going, but they aren't super awful. I haven't touched the rear end aside from the upper and lowers. I think I did have to remove a panhard bolt to remove the relocation brackets though. Would a loose PHB bolt cause a popping?
It sure could.....I'd be under that baby tomorrow morning.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Its real cold and theres a few inches of snow on the ground. I don't think I'll be doing that. I may roll up to work tomorrow and throw it on a hoist.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
3 miles. I've been having the popping since last Saturday after I took the brakes apart though, which is really driving me nuts. I took the relo brackets off 3 weeks ago. I was also reading that the popping could be a spring or spring mount. I'm in the process of demodding my car to get rid of NVH, never figured it would make more...

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
3 miles. I've been having the popping since last Saturday after I took the brakes apart though, which is really driving me nuts. I took the relo brackets off 3 weeks ago. I was also reading that the popping could be a spring or spring mount. I'm in the process of demodding my car to get rid of NVH, never figured it would make more...
I've had a spring rubbing in the pocket before....made a bunch of racket.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Do you think removing the rear bolt on the LCAs one side at a time would have allowed enough articulation in the axle for the spring to shift?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a picture I recently drew for someone. Hope this helps!

PinionAngle-1pcShaft.jpg

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Here is a picture I recently drew for someone. Hope this helps!

PinionAngle-1pcShaft.jpg

I thought if the rear end or for that matter any section was up, that was a positive reading? only if it was pointing down would it be negative.

So -3.5 + +1.5 = -2 correct

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back