Ignition Coils

Aussie-Parnelli

Reaction score
What ignition coils are recommended for the 3 Valve
I am currently running the original coils but after changing several sets of plugs including NGK I am getting breakdown at load
Have fitted latest HTO plugs
The 302 Extreme engine with many mods was pulling 746 flywheel horse power with 12lb boost and now have it up to 15lb but on dyno today was breaking down before full load applied

Tony

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Inspect and replace your ignition coil boots, before replacing the coils. If you decide to replace the coils, stick with Ford Motorcraft only.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Not an HP expert but sounds like you're pushing the envelope just a bit.... Besides a different plug (Brisk Silver?) are you sure fueling isn't an issue? As far as spark I'd stick w/new stock coils. Changed mine out and noticed slight differences in running/response (ran smoother; better response). I'm FI as well but not built so keep it at no more than 8lbs to avoid grenading the motor looking forward to the time (someday) when I can build it. :snoopy

Ekis

Reaction score
Watchout for fake chinese coils. There are lot's of bad fakes out there.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Stock coils. Aftermarkets are crap.

750 FWHP is not extreme for a stock coil. Actually very common to see much more than that on stock COP's.

What are you gapping the plugs at? Sure its not spark blow out? Not uncommon on FI setups. Try going to 0.028" or 0.026" gap if you have not already. I am assuming you are running 1 step colder plug to correct? Lund Racing had me gap to 0.026" on my last setup that ran 11-12 psi when they tuned it (one step colder plug as well obviously).

Aussie-Parnelli

Reaction score
Interesting I bought the vehicle in Feb '07 the car was 3 months old in Sacramento shipped it to Australia and had converted to Right Hand Drive, and then the journey started.
Many, many modifications over the pursuing 15 years and changed lots of parts. Today it has around 22,000 miles but most have been very fast mostly track miles.
Checking the coils today under the Saleen Decal they appear to be generic chinese coils but thankfully I have kept the originals and will put them back in.
Also havingupload_2022-3-29_19-37-3.jpeg the GT500 dual fuel pumps checked out as it is loosing pressure at higher revs

07 Boss

Reaction score
I purchased a set of Accel coils a little while back and have been running them without any issues.
Whipple with just under 12 psi of boost, plugs gapped at .028

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting I bought the vehicle in Feb '07 the car was 3 months old in Sacramento shipped it to Australia and had converted to Right Hand Drive, and then the journey started.
Many, many modifications over the pursuing 15 years and changed lots of parts. Today it has around 22,000 miles but most have been very fast mostly track miles.
Checking the coils today under the Saleen Decal they appear to be generic chinese coils but thankfully I have kept the originals and will put them back in.
Also havingView attachment 82115 the GT500 dual fuel pumps checked out as it is loosing pressure at higher revs

Great looking car. Probably has a tendency to want to wonder its way across the center line to the "right" side of the road. LOL! Sorry I could not resist that.

richie9mt

Reaction score
Interesting about the right hand drive conversion. Were you required to by your gov't regulations??? I drove a right hand drive Austin-Healey 100/6 here in the USA for several years; no problems with driveability/safety and no gov't regs requiring conversion. Our postal vehicles are right-hand drive and no problems with them either (I'm retired postal driver).

Aussie-Parnelli

Reaction score
In regards to my coil issues I finally found the real problem it was the pigtail connecting the number 2 cylinder the locking device no longer worked and allowed the intermittent misfire I was experiencing, I also put the original coils back in. Having a new fuel system built with 2 20A Bosch racing pumps replacing the GT500 setup which was loosing pressure at max revs
With regards to Right Hand Drive yes it is a government regulation that any car under 30 years of age must be converted. The engineer that done all of my cars done an amazing job considering there were no off the shelf parts available for the S197 at the time and even now. Cost at the time was approx US$18,000 that included getting compliance plate from the government
Photo of the interior of my wifes Parnelli Jones Super Shaker, all this was done without removing the engine, as you can see it is a mirror image
upload_2022-4-1_14-53-43.jpeg

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
That is wild looking. I drove a friend's car in Perth WA when I was there in 1989. We were out in nowhere somewhere near Scabs (Scarborough) Beach. I had to try it. The guys were impressed I could operate a manual shift with my left arm but I got lots of laughs when I wanted to turn into the oncoming right hand lane on a right hand turn at an intersection (cross road) rather than staying left of center. We had a great time that week. Never got back after that.

On the flip side I had a friend/colleague from GB here state side working with me in 1999. He picked me up one morning to play golf. He had only been here about a week. We came up on a stop sign (they have few of those in England apparently) and rather than come to a stop he blew right threw it. When I asked why he did that he said, "I saw no one coming". So I had to explain to him the concepts of stops signs verses Yield signs as well as a 4-way stop which does not exist at all in England. His response to the 4-way stop concept was that if they had those in England it would halt traffic because everyone would be arguing who had right-of-way.

Here endeth the story.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back