I'm starting to hate my 5R55

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
This happened as I was just rolling into the throttle in third gear, only about 10 to 12 lbs of boost at the time and at roughly 55 mph. I'm going to build it one more time and hope it last until I can get a 4R70W built and ready to go in the car.
20121129_214258.jpg
20121129_205158.jpg

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Your running 10's, of course you hate the 5r55. Good luck with the repair.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Your running 10's, of course you hate the 5r55. Good luck with the repair.

I don't think it's hurt other than not being able to remove the broken pieces but I will know more when Chris at Circle D cut the convertor open, and I get the front pum Pl out of the transmission. Oh and I'm still planning to try to get it to run at least. 9.9 with the 5R55 before it comes out.

Ouch!! Good luck man!

Thanks.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to do a 6R80 swap?

Yeah 4R70W once you are around 550 rwhp. I also remember getting a hardened input shaft for the 5R55S, but that was years ago and I don't remember where.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
This happened as I was just rolling into the throttle in third gear, only about 10 to 12 lbs of boost at the time and at roughly 55 mph. I'm going to build it one more time and hope it last until I can get a 4R70W built and ready to go in the car.

Been there twice and lost 3rd speed once with the 5R55S. Definitely not a stout enough transmission above 525 RWHP.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to do a 6R80 swap?

Yeah 4R70W once you are around 550 rwhp. I also remember getting a hardened input shaft for the 5R55S, but that was years ago and I don't remember where.

I would love to use the 6R80 and have spoken to The guys at Bauman, they claim to be working on the controller but say it will be awhile before it's ready.
As for the input shaft this one was billet, it's been in for about 7, 000 miles with the car making 650/570 on the pump gas tune.

Been there twice and lost 3rd speed once with the 5R55S. Definitely not a stout enough transmission above 525 RWHP.

Yes I have lost 3rd twice, and now the input shaft so I'm going to put it back together and hope it last until I have a better alternative ready to go back in.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you "hate" the 5R, it has lasted this long and it was never made to handle the power you are throwing at it.....I have done all the band aid fixes as well and hope it lives for my 9 second pass as you don't see many 5R's in the 9's.

Last edited:

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure why you "hate" the 5R, it has lasted this long and it was never made to handle the power you are throwing at it.....I have done all the bad aid fixes as well and hope it lives for my 9 second pass as you don't see many 5R's in the 9's.

You know I thought of you when this thing broke as we have had similar goals, and of course I don't really hate it, just didn't feel like working on it or spending money on the car right now.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL...gotcha...the love hate relationship!

I would love to one day put the 6R in here...have you looked into the 4R100's? Seer told me about them...

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
LOL...gotcha...the love hate relationship!

I would love to one day put the 6R in here...have you looked into the 4R100's? Seer told me about them...

If my tr6060 still cant shift into second after all of my rounds of fixes... 4r100 for me!

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
If my tr6060 still cant shift into second after all of my rounds of fixes... 4r100 for me!

Isn't the 4R100 the transmission that came in the second Gen Lightning, and if so I thought they were physically to large to fit in a Mustang?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Isn't the 4R100 the transmission that came in the second Gen Lightning, and if so I thought they were physically to large to fit in a Mustang?

Yes it is and people have got them to fit as there are a few gt500 owners who have them.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I did a lot of research on the 100 before I did my 4r70w and I couldn't find anything showing it to fit in a s197 car.

rayS197

Reaction score
Not sure why you "hate" the 5R, it has lasted this long and it was never made to handle the power you are throwing at it.....I have done all the band aid fixes as well and hope it lives for my 9 second pass as you don't see many 5R's in the 9's.
Agree here. Gregs 5R seems to handle the power and abuse with no issues. JDM and Brenspeed put the 5R to the test with good results. Although I dont have that many miles on mine,the tranny seems to be holding together.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Agree here. Gregs 5R seems to handle the power and abuse with no issues. JDM and Brenspeed put the 5R to the test with good results. Although I dont have that many miles on mine,the tranny seems to be holding together.

I have know idea how often Greg drives his car or how many miles he has put on it since making the power he does now, but I doubt its daily driven, and I doubt you or I will ever know how many times JDM or Brenspeed broke and replaced parts without broadcasting how they broke another 5R55. Mine seemed to be holding up ok as well (with approx 7, 000 miles at this power level and countless 1.5 60' times) until it broke, it didn't break during a shift, just while accelerating in 3rd right before the shift to 4th.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back