Incoming stupid question, CAI/Tuner

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I had 4.10s installed today and the guy that did the work forgot I had a tuner and flashed over the stock tune to set the gear ratio for me. I was too stupid to remind him/flash it back to stock. Now heres my problem, I have to send the tuner back to SCT to be unlocked and its going to take about 2 weeks for them to get it/get it done. I have to drive this car 800 miles next weekend, no way around that.

The ONLY thing done to the car aside from gear is an FRPP CAI. I don't have a stock airbox to put back on it. Am I fucked, or can I just putz around and not have to worry about it?

I figure I'm alright and it doesn't really matter since the FRPP isn't that much bigger than stock, but I just need to hear someone else say its OK.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
First of all don't drive with the stock tune and a frpp intake. The fuel trims might be able to make up the difference in closed loop but it's not a guarantee.

How did the installer flash over your tune? What did he use?

I had 4.10s installed today and the guy that did the work forgot I had a tuner and flashed over the stock tune to set the gear ratio for me. I was too stupid to remind him/flash it back to stock. Now heres my problem, I have to send the tuner back to SCT to be unlocked and its going to take about 2 weeks for them to get it/get it done. I have to drive this car 800 miles next weekend, no way around that.

The ONLY thing done to the car aside from gear is an FRPP CAI. I don't have a stock airbox to put back on it. Am I fucked, or can I just putz around and not have to worry about it?

I figure I'm alright and it doesn't really matter since the FRPP isn't that much bigger than stock, but I just need to hear someone else say its OK.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
He used IDS. I checked and my strategies are different now and the tuner is telling me incorrect vehicle.

I also have no choice but to drive it right now. I'm keeping my foot out of it though.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Doesn't sound good to me.

Yeah, I'm not too keen on it myself. But right now my hands are kind of tied. I'm really pissed at myself for not reminding him to leave the computer alone, I'm pissed at him for not calling me first, and I'm pissed that I got rid of my stock airbox. But oh well, not much I can do but try to get it fixed as fast as I can. Nothing can ever be easy with this car.

On the plus side though, he really nailed the gear install. He said pattern was perfect and I can't hear any whine at all. I got a screaming deal on everything too, so I guess 1 bad thing for all the good isn't too horrible.

I'm also pissed that I had to start this thread too. I should just retreat back to mustangforums or AFM. In my head, I know better than to drive on this, but I'm just hoping someone will say its ok! :lol:

At least its not a Darren thread!

Last edited:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
He was trying to update the gear ratio in the current tune with IDS. I guess he ran into some problems with that, so he ended up flashing the latest strategy on the PCM. Now the new code doesn't match the code in my tuner, and its telling me that the vehicle is wrong. It won't return to stock and it won't upload any of my custom tunes.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is off a 2008, is this all the pieces? Looks like a hose hooks up. Haven't seen it on my car in a long time.

DSCN0737_zpsc0e3b737.jpg

DSCN0736_zps91b7d61e.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'd say grab a stock intake for now, should be able to find one cheap.
If you were nearby I'd give you mine.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I'm looking for one local. I'm also going to give SCT another call to see if I can get them to fix it remotely. Unlikely, but I'm sure they have some trick up their sleeves to help me. In the mean time I'll just keep my foot out of it and hope I don't fuck anything up. I still can't believe this happened. I've been stewing about it all night.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
I think weather man is offering you one,if i'm not mistaken. You could overnight it.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I already spoke with him. He was offering to loan it and it most likely wouldn't be cost effective to ship it back and forth when there are several cheap ones available on ebay.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I can't find any junkyards with any newer Mustangs. Spoke with SCT and they are going to put a rush on my tuner for an extra $35. It will be there Friday, fixed same day, and they are 2 day UPS'ing it back to me, so early next week I will have it back in my grubby mitts. I've already got new tunes on order, so I'll be good to go when it shows up. Hopefully it doesn't eat itself today on the way to and from work. I feel so stupid driving around like this. I feel like one of those kids that refuses to pay for a tune because it costs too much and they just drive around without worrying. Except I'm worrying lol.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
I can't find any junkyards with any newer Mustangs. Spoke with SCT and they are going to put a rush on my tuner for an extra $35. It will be there Friday, fixed same day, and they are 2 day UPS'ing it back to me, so early next week I will have it back in my grubby mitts. I've already got new tunes on order, so I'll be good to go when it shows up. Hopefully it doesn't eat itself today on the way to and from work. I feel so stupid driving around like this. I feel like one of those kids that refuses to pay for a tune because it costs too much and they just drive around without worrying. Except I'm worrying lol.

Nothing you can do really, you live and you learn!

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I honestly think you'll be OK, short term. MAF transfer will definitely be way off, but staying out of the gas pedal, combined with fuel trims and the added protection of pretty effective factory knock sensors and I think you'll be alright.

Worst you'll do in my estimation is put some extra pre-mature age on your factory cats, if you're going way rich a lot.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I was just running a BBK CAI on stock tune with 4.10's, yes speedo was off but puttering around it drives ok.. just don't hammer on it too much or you will throw a lean code

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I honestly think you'll be OK, short term. MAF transfer will definitely be way off, but staying out of the gas pedal, combined with fuel trims and the added protection of pretty effective factory knock sensors and I think you'll be alright.

Worst you'll do in my estimation is put some extra pre-mature age on your factory cats, if you're going way rich a lot.

I figured that it would be fine with as long as I'm not beating the crap out of it. I only plan on running it like this until Monday/Tuesday when I get the tuner back. It will most likely be parked all weekend. I can also bum rides to and from work, so if need be I can park it longer. I'm not going WOT and I haven't gone over 3K rpm. So far, no codes so thats probably a good sign.

I was just running a BBK CAI on stock tune with 4.10's, yes speedo was off but puttering around it drives ok.. just don't hammer on it too much or you will throw a lean code

Its really difficult to not hammer it with the 4.10s! I think I can manage for 5 days though. I had to drive it gently for about 2 weeks after I did my clutch, so this should be a walk in the park.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Just a thought, if you can't get your stuff right before your 800 mile trip, why not rent a car? That would be cheaper (not to mention peace of mind) than risking breaking something in your Stang.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back