Intake pipe for Vortech supercharger

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
AFM makes their product with MAFs built in. Getcha one of those if you really want to do this.

I wouldn't, though. I'd wait until you're ready to do heads and cams, because I don't think you'll see much gain with just the pipe. I have not been able to compare apples to apples yet, due to it being hotter than hell in Texas, but the one car that I know of that made real gains (50+ rwhp) had ported heads, cams, etc.

I saw that, the DBX MAF is what you are talking about, right?

I am debating betweent th AFM PP and the FRPP intake, not sure which one would be better, they are both approx the same price, guess I have to wait for those with the FRPP intake to conduct testing and see if they help or not.

Not that I am into the bling but the AFM PP looks a lot better than the plastic inlet pipe from Vortech...although I wonder if heat soak would be an issue with the PP since it is metal and the stock Vortech inlet pipe is plastic....?

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
although I wonder if heat soak would be an issue with the PP since it is metal and the stock Vortech inlet pipe is plastic....?
Doubtful. It's got air flowing through it, and therefore cooling it, the whole time. You could always wrap it, I guess.

Regarding bling, I'm thinking of having mine powdercoated gloss black, to match my valve covers. :beer:

Regarding pricing, for me, everything was $446 for parts (including $295 for the MAF and its flange), and $100 to the local welder. And then some labor charges and a new tune on top of that.

By the way, we should have this thread moved to Tech, or Chit Chat.

Last edited:

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
Along with being moved to tech, we should make it the "Official Paxton/Vortech Owners Thread"...lol.

Great info in here! And instead of having folks asking a bunch of questions throughout the "tech" forum, they can merge/direct folks to a single thread containing large amounts of info (which this can turn into). Just my 2 pennies. Same goes for other power adders, hell Maybe even a specific subforum just for "power adders".

Greg, if you want some more power, why not just swap to the next size smaller pulley (instead of hundreds of $'s for intake manifolds and power pipes)? Cheapest and easiest way IMO since you still have a stock longblock. Or you trying to keep the boost low and maximaze airflow? I don't think the power pipe is going to make all that much of a difference until you start maxing out the Vortechs capabilites, such as bigrays when he does heads/cams and ect. The S pipeing doesn't really become a restriction until you start getting into bigger numbers.

What size pulley are your running bigray?

Last edited:

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Greg, if you want some more power, why not just swap to the next size smaller pulley (instead of hundreds of $'s for intake manifolds and power pipes)?
I concur. I have a 3.33" pulley that's about to hit the For Sale section, if you want it.

What size pulley are your running bigray?
2.87" six ribber, making 17-18 psi on a V2 Si trim. That's with a 10% overdrive balancer.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
AFM makes their product with MAFs built in. Getcha one of those if you really want to do this.

I wouldn't, though. I'd wait until you're ready to do heads and cams, because I don't think you'll see much gain with just the pipe. I have not been able to compare apples to apples yet, due to it being hotter than hell in Texas, but the one car that I know of that made real gains (50+ rwhp) had ported heads, cams, etc.

Most of that gain can be had with just cams on a forced induction setup. i wouldnt spend the $2-3K for heads unless you just want them. Granted at a certian point the heads will become a retsriction but that isnt going to be till well over 700+hp

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most of that gain can be had with just cams on a forced induction setup. i wouldnt spend the $2-3K for heads unless you just want them. Granted at a certian point the heads will become a retsriction but that isnt going to be till well over 700+hp
You misunderstood. The car I mentioned saw +50 rwhp on a car that already had heads and cams; the only mod was this one.

I'm on the fence about whether I want to do heads. I need to see if this car gets me in the 10s so I can call it a day. If not, I have a stock set sitting on my dining room table. I definitely don't want the car to be louder, so that's a factor.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Greg, if you want some more power, why not just swap to the next size smaller pulley (instead of hundreds of $'s for intake manifolds and power pipes)? Cheapest and easiest way IMO since you still have a stock longblock. Or you trying to keep the boost low and maximaze airflow? I don't think the power pipe is going to make all that much of a difference until you start maxing out the Vortechs capabilites, such as bigrays when he does heads/cams and ect. The S pipeing doesn't really become a restriction until you start getting into bigger numbers.

As silly as it may sound I want to get more power but keep the odds of blowing the engine up low; I want to get Mike's cut on this which one would be the safest way to go; I was under the assumption with a FI setup the intake side is the "more" important side which is why I was looking at the AFM PP or the intake and my exhaust side is as free flowing as it is going to get, I needed information as to which choice was better between the PP and the intake; I think the intake would be better as I am not forcing more air into the s/c inlet(which is what the PP would do) but I could be wrong...that's why I am looking for recommendations on what to do next.

1. 3.33 pulley-$xx
2. FRPP intake-$550
3. AFM PP-$600

Open to discussion!:beer:

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1. 3.33 pulley-$xx
This is the way to go, for you. No brainer. $35 shipped, if you want mine.

vortech333b.jpg

By the way, you'll need a retune for any of the three options.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You may not be able to answer this but how much boost difference is there between the 3.6 and the 3.33 pulley and can the stock engine take it?

I need to check with Mike to see if I have enough fuel system left to support the extra boost...whatever that number is.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You may not be able to answer this but how much boost difference is there between the 3.6 and the 3.33 pulley and can the stock engine take it?
You see a 1-2 psi increase with every step smaller, so 10-12 psi. I made 475 rwhp with an intercooler with this pulley, on the stock engine. No one can tell you whether the stock engine can take it... it all depends on your tune, how diligently you put quality gas in it, and how well you drive it.

Also, be advised that my V2 came with a 3.84" pulley, not the 3.6. Yours came with a 3.6"?

I need to check with Mike to see if I have enough fuel system left to support the extra boost...whatever that number is.
I ran this pulley with the 39 lb/hr injectors that came with the kit, but I had dual GT500 pumps by then. Not sure if you'd run out of pump with the single pump that comes with the kit, but you won't run out of injector.

All of that said, don't think I'm trying to push you into any one direction because I'm selling a $35 part. You need to do what's right for your setup, and I firmly believe that's dropping the pulley size if you want more power without having to add more fuel. If you don't buy my little paperweight, someone else will. :)

Last edited:

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
It's a relative Greg. The more power you make, the more chances of popping your motor. So why not just go the cheapest and easiest route possible IMO. But yeah, see what Mike says since he will be doing the tuning.

:beer:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You see a 1-2 psi increase with every step smaller, so 10-12 psi. I made 475 rwhp with an intercooler with this pulley, on the stock engine. No one can tell you whether the stock engine can take it... it all depends on your tune, how diligently you put quality gas in it, and how well you drive it.

Also, be advised that my V2 came with a 3.84" pulley, not the 3.6. Yours came with a 3.6"?

I ran this pulley with the 39 lb/hr injectors that came with the kit, but I had dual GT500 pumps by then. Not sure if you'd run out of pump with the single pump that comes with the kit, but you won't run out of injector.

All of that said, don't think I'm trying to push you into any one direction because I'm selling a $35 part. You need to do what's right for your setup, and I firmly believe that's dropping the pulley size if you want more power without having to add more fuel. If you don't buy my little paperweight, someone else will. :)

Just got off the phone with my tuner and he concurs with the recommendation of the pulley; I have approx 10% left in my fuel system which includes the 39 lb injectors and a KB BAP.

He is a Vortech distrubtor and he verified the V2's come with the 3.6 pulley, guess they changed that from yours.

I understand completely about playing with fire with upgrading anything with the blower-fingers crossed-being an automatic I can set my shift points to keep the rpm's "managable" and hopefully keep the shortblock together!

With that said I will take the pulley, I will PM you for the payment info.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I swore up and down I woud not do this again after the 03 Cobra, the 97 GT, etc...sigh...a crack addiction would be cheaper!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Greg that 10.5 lbs your seeing at the manifold on the 3.6" pulley with charge cooler(1psi loss) and longtubes would probably show up as 11-12 psi on a stock exhuast car. I think your already where you want to be on boost although it would be easiest/cheapest way to get a 3.33" pulley, not sure if thats the best choice if you wanna stay safe and reliable. I know its hard to leave it alone though!

Also your going to need to swap in that bigger idler pulley and maybe a shorter belt for that pulley if/when u decide to put it on lol

And i ahve a feeling a wekk after the 3.33" is on your going to be lookimg at options 2 and 3 again :)

Last edited:

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
Hahaha, I love it. Crack kills though Greg! :evil:

I am in the same boat. That's why I had Mike send me the tune with 14* that I made the 504/449 on. I'm getting stingy already. Yes I am running it and the car feels so much better, especially down low. That lack of 1* makes a huge difference on FI. I can't wait till the air temps drop though.

:evillaugh:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back