Intermittent valve train noise

rzaenglein

forum member
Reaction score
Noise is on passenger side, its louder and more evident than ever when first started. after about 20 seconds the noise will go away, it will then come and go as the engines heats up and is at operating temp. I replaced lash adjusters and followers. I found one lash adjuster that was easily collapsed unlike the others. I figured that was the issue, but noise is still there. any ideas? Makes the car have an intermittent miss as well and threw a code for running rich. Can a cam phaser cause a miss fire?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I assume that noise is coming from the phaser and not one of the lifters. Several good writeups on swapping phasers around here somewhere.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Looking at you mods in your sig...I'd say you beat the hell out if it.

With that said, if a phaser is bad, I'd probably buy the complete timing kit and change all of it out. The kit is roughly $250 from Tasca and that's new phasers, chains, guides...all of it. That's just how I would do it.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Looking at you mods in your sig...I'd say you beat the hell out if it.

That's quite likely. A few forays past 6500rpm will eventually take their toll on the engine.

With that said, if a phaser is bad, I'd probably buy the complete timing kit and change all of it out. The kit is roughly $250 from Tasca and that's new phasers, chains, guides...all of it. That's just how I would do it.

Agree. It would be a false economy to just replace the phasers if the rest of the timing kit is the original factory stuff.

Back