Is Drag Racing Becoming more Popular?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In the pro ranks, NHRA announced it's huge public offerring deal to merge all the entities and and start adding Nascar-esq' boardwalks and activities for fans and is planning on growing the sport substantially over the next few years.

But what about your local tracks? I ask because I went to Irwindale last night here in So Cal and it was a freakin' joke. The track is open from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm. I got there at 6:00 pm and GOT 1 RUN IN! I lined up in the lanes at 6:30 and made my pass at about 8:25. I probably could have got in line again and made 1 more at the end of the night but it wasn't worth it and the lines were a madhouse.

Just took all the fun out of it for me. Hundreds of just stock cars there - of course your imports, but Mercedes, jeeps, trucks, GTO's, BMW, etc. etc. Just about every make and model was there. I guess everyone in every car wants to drag it. I'm all for the fun, but it pissed me off to get only 1 run in because there are 200 cars running 10 sec 1/8 mile passes that have no businesses on a dragstrip IMO.

Anyway, just curious if some of you from other areas have seen a surge in interest as well.

BTW - My one run was against an AMG Mercedes. The whole time in line the guy was bragging about his 550 hp mercedes. I told him at the track on street tires, his Mercedes wasn't as fast as he 'thought' it was. He was really expecting to blow the chevykiller away....lol

It was humilating for him - getting beat by almost 2 seconds in the 1/8...lol I was only running 14 psi last night - the guy would have been really devastated if I had it turned up...

Last edited:

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Generally I stay way from TnT. I've spent too many times waiting around only to get 1 to 2 runs where track prep is a joke. Even though it costs more, I'd rather run during regular racing events as well as the FFW & NMRA events. At least I'm fairly certain I'll get 3 runs in (2 time trails and 1 elim) and track prep is usually better.

It gets worst when TnT night includes a burnout contest and a bikini contest that holds up the runs. I guess they cater to your import/street guys that draw the crowds.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i haven't done any race events except for Tasca ford in NH. i always goto TnT nights. at Etown im lucky to get 2 runs in. at island i can get 10-15 a night if i hotlap it

freebass55

Public enemy #75461659
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree Irwindale's a joke. After My car gets fixed the wife and I are taking a run down to S.D. When Barona and Qualcomm are running the same weekend.

I have gotten in more runs at Irwindale. You have to get there when it opens and get right in line. You should be able to get three runs in real quick. Then one more before the night is a waste.

mdcorny

Reaction score
Qualcomm

Qualcomm in SD was pretty slow last Friday night. I got there around 7pm, stop racing around 10pm, and got 12 runs in, with breaks ever 2-3 runs, for cool down. No waiting at all, most runs I ever got in a night. Other nights have been busy, only 4-5 runs, so I don't know what to expect on 06/22/07, but I still can't wait.:thumb:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you know my situation here in San Diego.

Qualcomm is a temporary track in a parking lot. It is frequented by many imports and near-stock cars. There are a handful of trailered race cars, but well over 90% are street cars. Getting there early is key. Last week we made our first run at 6:30pm and our 12th run at 8:15, and then we stopped. If we had of stayed until midnight, I bet we could have gotten 30 runs in. But the norm is generally 12-15, and sometimes up to 20.

Barona is predominantly race cars, and only a few street cars. We also usually get 12-15 runs in there, but we've had as many as 21 one time. Even though it costs more, the track is always well prepped and the experience is a blast. Donna and I definitely prefer to run there more than anywhere else.

Our average over the past year has been 14 runs per trip, and that includes much lower numbers for a couple trips to Perris and Fontana.

BTW... the upcoming back-to-back Q and Barona events are on Aug 10-11, Aug 24-25 and Sept 7-8. Note: The Aug 25 date is a Summit series, so it may be crowded.

don_w

Reaction score
Qualcomm in SD was pretty slow last Friday night. I got there around 7pm, stop racing around 10pm, and got 12 runs in, with breaks ever 2-3 runs, for cool down. No waiting at all, most runs I ever got in a night. Other nights have been busy, only 4-5 runs, so I don't know what to expect on 06/22/07, but I still can't wait.:thumb:
Welcome to the forum!! :beerdrink:

I assume by your avatar that you drive the white Stang with the stripes. I've seen your car there, but I don't believe we've ever met. We need to make sure and say howdy on 6/22!

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trying to get runs in at Epping on a non-TnT Sat/Sun is tough... You can compete, but you get maybe 2-3 runs and then rounds...

Wed/Fri nights are good if you show up at 5-5:30 and hot-lap from 6-7:30 before the bracket races start...

So far I can usually get 5-8 runs in that 1 1/2 hours...

On a TnT, I got 15+ runs, but those are now few and far between...

Definitely getting more popular - around here there is one track that services a reasonably large area...

It will be interesting to see if the new marketing force behind NHRA can fight the fuel costs that seemed to kill the last growth spurt in organized drag racing... There used to be multiple tracks in this area and all of them either died outright in the early eighties or slowly bled to death afterwards...

Last edited:

don_w

Reaction score
Hopefully new tracks will start springing up all over the place. I read in the newspaper here yesterday about a new off-road racing (CORR) facility in San Diego that opens this week. They plan on opening it for other motorsports, like motocross etc in the future. They also said once the pit area and parking lot are paved, it will have a 1/8-mi drag strip. Obviously I wish someone would build a 1/4-mi track here in San Diego, but having a 3rd 1/8-mi track will certainly give us more options in the future.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hopefully new tracks will start springing up all over the place.
That would be nice, I have been wondering aloud about the economics/politics of ressurecting one of the more recently deceased tracks around here (Last I heard Norwood still has a pretty good following - but no ressurection as of yet)...

Noone wants to do anything fun here though - fun is frowned upon... Who says the puritain spirit of america is dead?

Doesn't help that land is horrifically expensive and you need a lot of it lest you have to contend with noise curfews that let you race for 30 minutes on Saturday...

Greg@RET

Mad Torque Inc.
Reaction score
Irwindale was a joke yesterday. I have never seen it that long before. It is the house of hook though :clap:

Great run, we will have to pair up next time.

don_w

Reaction score
I've heard rumblings about an old airstrip near here being refurbished for a 1/4-mi strip. But, I've been hearing that for a few years... without any specifics.

freebass55

Public enemy #75461659
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here's a rumor. The guy who ran the old Brotherhood Raceway in T.I. has been trying to open up another track in the Long Beach/T.I. area. It was close at one point, but haven't heard anything in a while.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Hopefully new tracks will start springing up all over the place. I read in the newspaper here yesterday about a new off-road racing (CORR) facility in San Diego that opens this week. They plan on opening it for other motorsports, like motocross etc in the future. They also said once the pit area and parking lot are paved, it will have a 1/8-mi drag strip. Obviously I wish someone would build a 1/4-mi track here in San Diego, but having a 3rd 1/8-mi track will certainly give us more options in the future.

If they open another track, the ricers can have Qualcomm.:roflmao:

don_w

Reaction score
If they open another track, the ricers can have Qualcomm.:roflmao:
I''m sure they'll try to take over the new one, too. :tdown:

BTW, the new track will be in Chula Vista... that's gonna be good for you!

0216150702Chula%20Vista%20Banner%20small.JPG

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got 15 runs in on Saturday June 9 got to track at 3:30 ran twice,track closed for dinner & re opened @ 6:30 - 9:30.On the last run broke belt,dented hood,bent tensioner,still won the race with a 12.86 @ 96 MPH coasting through the traps from about 200' from the finish,usually i pass through @ 113MPH.By the way i won all 15 races against any takers.My last run would have probably been the best of the eve oh well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back