Is minor steering wheel shake "normal" for S197 cars?

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
So this is kind of an odd ball question, but when I drive my girlfriends 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the steering wheel is solid as a bar of steel....no shake, not even a shimmy. When I'm driving my mustang, their is always just a hint of shake at speeds up over 50mph. I thought maybe my wheels were out of balance, but I took the fronts in and got them balanced and one of them was just a smidget off, the other one is perfect. I have a one piece driveshaft from DSS and I don't believe any of the shake is coming from that because the rest of the car is vibration/shake/shimmy free. Its all in the steering wheel.

Is it because these cars give more feedback through the steering wheel? It only seems to do it on certain roads, but usually always above 50 mph their is a tiny bit of shake unless the road is absolutely perfect.

Other than tire balancing, (which I've already done) I'm not sure even where to start looking to fix the shakes.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It's not normal. Can you rotate the tires? I've found a bad tire by swapping the spare in until the shake went away. This was on a Taurus. The tire had a broken belt.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Road force balancing.

I just accept it, it's often road dependent. Gets to be where you're asking yourself if it's there or not.

Being OCD about small problems results in large expenditures.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
All it takes is one time hitting a curb too hard to break a belt in a tire or even bend a rim. My 2002 F150 has a slight vibration at highway speeds but I just live with it because the truck (and wheels) are 12 years old.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
1. Have you changed any suspension parts?
2. Mileage on the car?
3. Wheels/Tire Specs and mileage?

Lastly, I need to admit that my 09 has a lot more feeling of the road compared to a newer model since the EPAS sucks up a lot of the road feeling IMO.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Like stkjock said.....stock wheels? There is a little washer on one of the wheel studs that you need to remove if you add some aftermarket wheels. I had the shakes on my 07,took off the washers and it stopped. Didn't even check on my 2011 and she is solid.

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
I don't remember if I had the issue with the stock wheels or not to be honest........

Its a 06 gt 5 speed. 50k miles. Stock ball joints and shocks up front
AMR 18x8s with Pirelli pzero that look almost new
recently added suspension stuff is K springs, DSS drive shaft, bmr panhard

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
I dont remember seeing a washer anywhere when I had the wheels off. I guess ill have to pull a wheel and check

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did u take off the brake rotor retainer clips?

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
Just took the front wheels off, the factory rotor clips were still there.

Took them off.....cleaned off all the rust and gunk from inside of wheel mating surface and rotor, then took the car for test spin on interstate.

Oh. My. God. The difference is unreal! You could balance a wine glass on the steering wheel now (ok maybe not really but seriously). Thanks for the tip

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
glad it solved the issue, FYI - this is a long known issue, you'd have solved it in a 30 second search, think about searching first next time for a quicker resolution.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back