it never ends

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I've been working on gettting my motor rebuilt since April... Well I bought a crank off of here, had it balanced and everything looked okay, until I finally got everthing together, start checking clearances and everything.. well, there's about 40 thousands worth of slop in the crank.. It's basically junk.. so now I'm going backwards yet again.. I was told the crank was good, It's got so much slop in it , it would eat the thrust bearing out of it much less probably never stay in time.. arrrgh...
It's been so long now though I don't really have any way to try and dispute this, which is fine, it just sucks I'm going to have to buy a new crank now. THis sucks.. everytime I turn around it's something else on this car.. I'm seriously thinking about buying a stock motor and trading this thing in. Even when it's done with a built motor I'm leaning on the edge of it being gone anyway. I've about reached my patience with it.

anyway.. I just wanted to vent this out for a minute until I decide what to do next..

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Sorry man! That's the fear I have as well, about used parts. This has been my luck with my 05, one thing after another, you just get sick of it after a while! Good luck on your decision, whatever it may be.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I've generally had good luck with used stuff, but just feel kind of screwed on the deal.. but it is what it is..Also pissed that I'm going to be set back another 4-5 weeks now.. You live and learn I guess.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Yea the down time and the bad part is enough alone to boil your blood.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
You should at least get a refund from the seller.

I bought the stuff from him a few months ago, and the tear down / rebuild has taken this long, but I feel like so much time has passed it's not worth the fight.

Yea the down time and the bad part is enough alone to boil your blood.

for sure.. I just want it done..

Rebuilding forged or OEM?

It's going back forged. You wanna buy it? lol

I have forged rods and pistons, it was stock crank, since the stock crank should hold up to about 600- hp that should've been plenty, but it looks like now it'll have a forged crank as well.

Fantas

forum member
Reaction score
I have a whole forged rotating assembly. I have the stock crank sitting on my bench. Reason I was asking is I was going to say you can have it for free if you pay the shipping. Up to you. Just let me know bud.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I have a whole forged rotating assembly. I have the stock crank sitting on my bench. Reason I was asking is I was going to say you can have it for free if you pay the shipping. Up to you. Just let me know bud.

That's awesome of you man, I'd rep you if I could. I greatly appreciate the offer, but at this point I'm just going to do what I should've done to start with buy an Eagle Crank and be done with it. Then I can boost it 15 pounds and not worry about it.

Better that you found out now. It still sucks, though. Better luck going forward...

Exactly, at least I didnt' get it all together and drive it down the road and it fly apart.. talk about being pissed.. yeah, I proabbly would've torched the car. lol

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
If I was working right now, I would just buy me a 07-09 shelby, lots of deals with all the hype on all the other stangs right now! Just drive it and smile..lol

Memphis 05

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your pain.... just keep reminding your self that in the end it is all worth it.

hope it gets better

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
That sucks. Man if I ever grenade my motor I will be buying all knew shit. Bad enough you lost your motor now to have bad replacement parts......sucks.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've been working on gettting my motor rebuilt since April... Well I bought a crank off of here, had it balanced and everything looked okay, until I finally got everthing together, start checking clearances and everything.. well, there's about 40 thousands worth of slop in the crank.. It's basically junk.. so now I'm going backwards yet again.. I was told the crank was good, It's got so much slop in it , it would eat the thrust bearing out of it much less probably never stay in time.. arrrgh...
It's been so long now though I don't really have any way to try and dispute this, which is fine, it just sucks I'm going to have to buy a new crank now. THis sucks.. everytime I turn around it's something else on this car.. I'm seriously thinking about buying a stock motor and trading this thing in. Even when it's done with a built motor I'm leaning on the edge of it being gone anyway. I've about reached my patience with it.

anyway.. I just wanted to vent this out for a minute until I decide what to do next..

Good Lord! The machine shop didn't measure bearing surfaces or check for runout prior to balancing the rotating assembly?

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what all was done at this point.. I've got to go back and look over my invoice.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm friends with a guy who built a race car currently running 10.0-10.1 in the 1/4 naturally aspirated. He's on his third motor (a FRPP crate motor) and has decided that any and all future motors will be Ford crate motors. No screwing around building motors with all the headaches and problems, just drop it in and hook it up. I'm thinking that if I ever go forged then I will likely do the same. Not worth the headaches or down time having a motor built and nobody has as much experience building motors as Ford.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
^ that's a very good point, but the costs is the factor for me. I can build it for less than half of a crate motor. If I had the money, I would've just bought a crate motor and been done with it.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the problem. It's not the car though I understand the misdirected rage. Anything you buy, if you ever have to put a motor together for it, can suffer the same issue(s).

If one could afford the extra outlay I agree with the earlier poster about buying a used GT500, blower swap it, run a conservative tune and then forget about it. Done. But since you're a man on a budget, like many of us, then this type of PITA is going to be par for the course.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back