JPC 2011 5.0L CNC cylinders heads tested

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Those powdered forged rods are holding 624HP with FRPP's supercharger. They don't warranty it, but I doubt they would market it this way if the rods couldn't handle it, otherwise there would be a lot of disgruntled customers. These guys know what they are doing and tend to stay on the conservative side. If you ever got to see the inside of Ford's Engine Buildup Facility you would drown in your own drool. It makes every shop I've ever seen look 2nd or 3rd rate.

Even the best built motors have their limitations when it comes to high rpm.

I was sent by the automakers to school to become an auto engineer, I have been places that cameras were not allowed. Again I am not saying that the rods are weak per say just that there is not a lot of data for sustained high rpm operation at the level that you spoke of. ( 8,500 rpm)

they have been racing them with hundreds of passes at 7200. how many does it take?

answer: it takes metallgurical statistics. the rods are fine and you are wrong.

Who is talking a transient 7,200 rpm? I am talking about a sustained 8,500 rpm on a road race track. I never said the rods will fail just that there was not a lot of data for sustained high revs from track cars that turn 8,500 rpm. I know for a fact that the Boss 302R has no problems with a sustained 7500 rpm.

ngnichols

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking that H/C/I on these motors will push it over 500rwhp N/A.

- CAI
- BOSS 302 Intake
- Ported Heads
- N/A Grind Cams
- American Racing 1-7/8" Long-Tubes & X-Pipe
- Axle-Back Exhaust of your choice
- Aluminum Driveshaft

That will be one stout ride.

Vxer1000

Camaro Can Kicker
Reaction score
I was sent by the automakers to school to become an auto engineer, I have been places that cameras were not allowed. Again I am not saying that the rods are weak per say just that there is not a lot of data for sustained high rpm operation at the level that you spoke of. ( 8,500 rpm)

Who is talking a transient 7,200 rpm? I am talking about a sustained 8,500 rpm on a road race track. I never said the rods will fail just that there was not a lot of data for sustained high revs from track cars that turn 8,500 rpm. I know for a fact that the Boss 302R has no problems with a sustained 7500 rpm.

Actually, there is more data than you are aware of. These new motors are tested by Ford at much higher rpm than the vehicle redline for sustained periods of time (24 hours straight). I know, because my dad used to test them and I used to visit him at work. Got to see the first GT40 manifold for the old 5.0 when it was a prototype and the magazines weren't even aware it existed. Hank Dertian(remember SVO?) showed it to me. Most motors are probably grenaded by poor tuning or overrevving during a missed shift. A properly tuned mod motor can withstand high revs for a long period of time under a load.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Actually, there is more data than you are aware of. These new motors are tested by Ford at much higher rpm than the vehicle redline for sustained periods of time (24 hours straight). I know, because my dad used to test them and I used to visit him at work. Got to see the first GT40 manifold for the old 5.0 when it was a prototype and the magazines weren't even aware it existed. Hank Dertian(remember SVO?) showed it to me. Most motors are probably grenaded by poor tuning or overrevving during a missed shift. A properly tuned mod motor can withstand high revs for a long period of time under a load.

All of the automakers test over redline, the pushrod LS7 was even tested to 8,500 rpm. Under load on a test bench is not the same as extended lapping on a road course with extended high rpm operation. Simply put the 302R has a 7,500 rpm redline and its very reliable at that level. We are talking about modifying a stock internal engine for extended lapping at rpm levels of 8,500 rpm which there is not much data for.

Vxer1000

Camaro Can Kicker
Reaction score
All of the automakers test over redline, the pushrod LS7 was even tested to 8,500 rpm. Under load on a test bench is not the same as extended lapping on a road course with extended high rpm operation. Simply put the 302R has a 7,500 rpm redline and its very reliable at that level. We are talking about modifying a stock internal engine for extended lapping at rpm levels of 8,500 rpm which there is not much data for.

Yeah, it's so reliable it has a 60000 mile warranty on it, albeit street miles. We are talking about racing so it's always a coin toss, but my guess is it can handle 8500rpm on a road course from time to time.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's so reliable it has a 60000 mile warranty on it, albeit street miles. We are talking about racing so it's always a coin toss, but my guess is it can handle 8500rpm on a road course from time to time.

302R is the race car, and that car does see sustained high revs in high heat conditions with sustained high G loads...its also raced for a full season so its been proven.

COYO TT

Stangless
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing 500rwhp N/A. JPC does good work, I will definately be returning for more work, keep up the good work guys.

-Sean

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back