Just Blew my 4.6L - Need Short Block info

vstarchopper

Reaction score
I have an 2008 Mustang GT with an on3 Turbo. It was putting down 480 at the rear wheels. Was driving through town and blew a rod through my block. Need some ideas for a 4.6 short block that can handle the turbo without breaking the bank. I'm hoping to put my intake, heads and turbo on the new block with maybe a 75hp wet NOS system. I will be changing the clutch to handle the power. I already have a Richmond rear end.

Attachments

• car on tow.jpg
    car on tow.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 51

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
please tell me you had it properly tuned for the turbo?

we had an on3 setup car who blew his block because it wasnt tuned anywhere close to correct. lol

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
What area of the country? BruceH isn't very active on here any more but he may still have an engine or two for sale.

Other than that your options are to buy a used or bare block and build it yourself or buy a built block from somebody like JDM (but NOT MMR).

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
many threads on motor builds, try the search feature and you'll get a wealth of info.

if you want a good builder, L&M Engines in Hatboro PA knows mod motors!

0517suhleen

Reaction score
That's badass! post pics of le damage! :biggrin:

just kidding about the badass part, but good luck on build.

Ready2Rockyou

Reaction score
JDM 5.0 long block. I've got tons of hard miles on mine.

JDM Engineering 732-780-0700

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
What area of the country? BruceH isn't very active on here any more but he may still have an engine or two for sale.

Other than that your options are to buy a used or bare block and build it yourself or buy a built block from somebody like JDM (but NOT MMR).

I got so tired of looking at the motor on a stand that I gave it away last Christmas.

For anyone reading this thread keep it in your mind that there is nothing you can do to be totally bulletproof. Anytime you modify you take chances.

A 70mm turbo is no joke. It can blow a motor easily. Any built motor. All it takes is for an equipment related glitch. Boost spikes kill motors. I used to say that turbos kill motors but it's not the turbos fault, it's the equipment used to keep the turbo in check.

Once again, no amount of money will buy a block that will handle too much boost, too much spark, or not enough fuel. It doesn't exist.

Do you have pictures of the tear down?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
So I guess we found out how the engine would react. -_-

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the other weak links. I have pretty much blown up everything but my motor (thanks Lito)- Blow up two trans, a Eaton posi rear and a stock rear. Now I have a TR6060 and a Eaton Truetrac (so far, so good).

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
get a stock motor put all arp hardware in it and also put forged pistons and rods in it . leave stock crank and go to 700rwhp or pit a crank in it and don't worry about anything. lots of motor builds on this forum!

Also upgrade ur tr3650 or just put a tr6060 in it like said above. Or auto swap it 4r70w

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As already mentioned there are lots of possibilities for a build and lots of threads about them, just be aware you may also need more that a new block. Blowing a rod like that can screw up the heads also, so you need to pull it down and see what you can salvage before you can figure out what the new build will cost you.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I made some huge purchases (at least to me) recently, and because I will be on stock internals, I am very nervous. Maybe I am over-thinking it since I will stay around 8psi for now, but after reading this thread, I am wondering how well the stock block would do with a Livernois forged setup.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com...i-Pro%2dSeries-Stroker-Rotating-Assembly.html

Could I still turn up the boost to hit 700 rwhp or is that an insane expectation?

Edit: I see this is 11:1, which I am assuming is not great, since a lower 9:1 would allow higher boost, right? Any better options for balanced assemblies at a lower compression ratio?

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I made some huge purchases (at least to me) recently, and because I will be on stock internals, I am very nervous. Maybe I am over-thinking it since I will stay around 8psi for now, but after reading this thread, I am wondering how well the stock block would do with a Livernois forged setup.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com...i-Pro%2dSeries-Stroker-Rotating-Assembly.html

Could I still turn up the boost to hit 700 rwhp or is that an insane expectation?

The stock block would work fine.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I have an 2008 Mustang GT with an on3 Turbo. It was putting down 480 at the rear wheels. Was driving through town and blew a rod through my block. Need some ideas for a 4.6 short block that can handle the turbo without breaking the bank. I'm hoping to put my intake, heads and turbo on the new block with maybe a 75hp wet NOS system. I will be changing the clutch to handle the power. I already have a Richmond rear end.

BTW, OP, really sorry to hear this happened. I hope everything works out for you.

I was thinking of MMR, but have read a few really bad experiences about them. I am really interested in seeing which way you go.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back