Just installed Sypdershaft, have a question

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
My local Mustang shop installed my Spydershaft and set the pinion angle to -2. When I took it up to 80mph, I get a weird hum until 85-90 then it goes away. Should I worry about this? I won't be on a roadcourse until spring, so I have time to sort out this out. Just want to shake out the bugs now.

Thanks.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're going to have to play with the pinion angle. It's a very sensitive setting, so go in small increments, i.e., -1.8, -1.7, etc. Or maybe even just by small turns of the UCA or adjustable LCAs, depending which you have. You probably just need to go up a bit on the angle. You could also index the DS in the rear 180* and see if that helps.

spyder7724

Reaction score
My local Mustang shop installed my Spydershaft and set the pinion angle to -2. When I took it up to 80mph, I get a weird hum until 85-90 then it goes away. Should I worry about this? I won't be on a roadcourse until spring, so I have time to sort out this out. Just want to shake out the bugs now.

Thanks.
How much are you lowered?
It won't take much of an adjustment to cure this. Only a 1/2- 1 full turn on the UCA should eliminate that. It will most likely be going + or lengthening the UCA if you are lowered. If you are at the stock ride height then you'll have to go the other way.

PM me if you need anything

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have Roush struts and springs and haven't checked the pinion angle but don't have any issues either. Am I just lucky? Lowered about 1.25 in front and 1 in the back.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score

Thanks.

Once you get the PA dialed in you will be fine. Just do it soon so you don't damage your rear-end bearings or get gear whine.

Most aftermarket driveshafts vibrate a little from the 60 -85 range on almost every vehicle. This is because companies try to use light weight parts. That means a smaller (thinner) slip spline. As soon as you put any power or miles to it the small urethane or teflon glides wear out, the bearings then loosen up, then the driveshaft starts to spin like a jump rope at the slip spline.

THAT will NOT happen with Ron's DS. The original concept was for a truck that tows heavy loads and was adapted into our application. Because of the original concept, this crucial point at the slip spline is actually larger than what is required for our cars and MUCH larger than the 1/2 spline on most aftermarket DS setups I have seen for the S197's.

It won't take much of an adjustment to cure this. Only a 1/2- 1 full turn on the UCA should eliminate that. It will most likely be going + or lengthening the UCA if you are lowered. If you are at the stock ride height then you'll have to go the other way.

Ron, I've been fishing around. I still haven't found anyone as low as I am (2"+ in the rear) with your DS. I still want to come up in January or February for a dry fit on the new suspension. Once we get the particulars ironed out with mine, you will have a good benchmark for guys with aggressively moded ride hight. After we get through the holidays I'll drop you a line so we can set something up...

Last edited:

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score

I have Tokico shocks with the Vogtland Springs. I think it lowers me around 35mm or so (according to the box). So I should go in and ask him to take the angle from -2 to -1.5 to start?

spyder7724

Reaction score
I have Tokico shocks with the Vogtland Springs. I think it lowers me around 35mm or so (according to the box). So I should go in and ask him to take the angle from -2 to -1.5 to start?
Honestly it may not even take that much. We've seen as little as 1/2 turn make a large difference on lowered cars. Thats probably less than 1/2 degree change.
I just go in small increments cause if you over correct it will drive you nuts going back and forth.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back