Justagt's First Home. extremely pic heavy

Justagt

Reaction score
Just saw that you guys have a section MADE for house remodels. Thought i'd throw some of my pics on here. My wife and i bought this house right at one year ago. And right away we started remodeling everything.

The house was built in 1920 and still has most of the original woodwork up stairs. Has all new high efficient windows and doors,all vinyl siding, fairly new roof, and several other updates already done.

Now onto some of the projects...

Here is how the basement looked when we first moved into the house...

100_1370.jpg

100_1369.jpg

100_1368.jpg

So all of that had to go, i stripped it down to the concrete and worked my way up from there....

100_1371.jpg

100_1374.jpg

100_1392.jpg

100_1395.jpg

100_1396.jpg

100_1398.jpg

100_1434.jpg

100_1445.jpg

100_1451.jpg

100_1454.jpg

100_1455.jpg

100_1457.jpg

100_1456.jpg

100_1459.jpg

Justagt

Reaction score
After the basement i went outside and tried to increase the curb appeal a little bit, starting with the front porch.

landscape2.jpg

landscape1.jpg

100_1461.jpg

100_1462.jpg

100_1463.jpg

100_1466.jpg

front.jpg

I now have hand rails down the steps on both sides, finished white, as well as fresh paint on the porch itself.

Justagt

Reaction score
Then i moved to the back side of the house.... Fenced in yard, and a nice little deck.

deck1.jpg

deck2.jpg

deck3.jpg

deck4.jpg

deck5.jpg

deck6.jpg

Now im fixing to put the roof over the deck, im using smoked polycarb. skylights for the entire roof.

Justagt

Reaction score
Oh, and heres the picture of part of the back yard fenced in...

fence1.jpg

Then i recently cut a tree down in the back yard (had quite an exciting night hooking everything up that it knocked down )

But i took a chunk of the stump and made it into a nice little bench

log.jpg

And then burned all the little limbs in my little fire pit i built in the back yard..

fire.jpg

Also just found a pic of my lovely wife helping me install my custom built pine doors.

1206101759.jpg

Then we had a pipe burst in our shower, so we decided it was time to update the entire bathroom.

br1.jpg

br2.jpg

br3.jpg

br4.jpg

br5.jpg

br6.jpg

br7.jpg

br8.jpg

br9.jpg

br10.jpg

bathroom.jpg

bathroom2.jpg

Justagt

Reaction score
Yes sir... im "Dolbs". The reason i started this thread is because Wednesday all of my flooring is showing up. Im going to put new laminate flooring threw out my entire living room/dining room and kitchen. Then im ripping out an old brick "fireplace" that was never hooked up with a nice custom oak mantle that will be my entertainment center as a new vent free Continental fire place.

Justagt

Reaction score
Im also in the middle of building my second son a glider crib, one just big enough to put in the living room and let him sleep in it while we're relaxing together.

So once its complete i'll post some pics of the steps i took to build it.

Justagt

Reaction score
Well, i got half the carpet ripped out of the living room last night. Pulled all the tack strip and staples. My back is KILLING me today though. Will most likely have to go to the chiropractor once this project is finished.

Under the carpet was GORGEOUS oak flooring. Its a shame we're covering it all up. But with two kids, i'd rather cover it now, and then uncover it in a couple years to prevent any serious damage.

Plus i started laying the new laminate flooring last night, stuff looks great laying next to my baseboard. Im hoping to have "most" of the flooring down tonight. Its tough getting anything accomplished when you have a 2 year old boy that constantly wants to "help" then a wife with a 2 week old boy.

I couldnt just go take all the furniture to the garage because she needs somewhere to sit... even though we have a full basement thats completely finished?? haha o well, its getting taken care of.

Justagt

Reaction score
That shouldnt be too hard, i only paid 30,000 for it haha.

That is actually kind of the reason we bought the house, its only 5 houses down from where i work, so i walk to work everyday. And i figured i paid 30,000 for the house, and put 10,000 into it... and even in todays market, i think i could get 75-80 for it.

So i figured in the next 5 years i'll sell it and buy a bigger home. Because this one is only a 2 bed 1 bath up stairs, and the down stairs is mainly just a man cave. And with having 2 boys already, the house is pretty crowded. So i'll use the "profit" from this house to put a nice down payment on a new house.

Justagt

Reaction score
Here is a little teaser pic to get ya'll by for the day. Should finish up the flooring tonight hopefully.

IMG_4223.jpg

topbliss

Reaction score
very nice work!!! Love the basement.. Do you have any moisture behind the walls? Or did did you address that?

Justagt

Reaction score
I used hydraulic cement to fill in any small cracks the foundation had, then used a (i think the name is correct) UGL drylock on all the walls. Its a roll on type paint that will seal the concrete preventing any more moisture.

Justagt

Reaction score
They were cut different lengths because it had to go over the 1x6 base board and over the 1-1/2" chamfer strip along the bottom edge. That was also before they were trimmed out.

So what you're seeing, yes, they are different lengths. (assuming your talking about the horizontal car siding at the back edge?)

Justagt

Reaction score
Just a little update. The wife and i got all of the flooring down in the living room and got the new mantle built and stained. Here are a few before and after pics.

Heres the old tv stand, and what the old floor looked like.

IMG_8032.jpg

This is what we found once we ripped all of the old carpet up.

IMG_2673.jpg

Here we started covering up the old flooring...

IMG_0021.jpg

Then here is a picture of the old brick fireplace that we use to have.

IMG_4423.jpg

I then took the back off of the old tv stand, and bolted it to the wall above the old fireplace to hide all the wires.

mantle1.jpg

And this was the final outcome of the project. Wife and I think it turned out great!!

mantle4.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back