Keeping black trim pieces black?

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Just wondering what some of you guys are using to put on black trim pieces that are fading a little or look like that have some slight oxidation? I'm looking for something that will last a little while and not have to be applied every few weeks.

Also what are some of you guys using on your tires? My mustang tires will usually keep a slight shine but my truck tires seem to soak up anything I put on them and after an hour or so it doesn't even look like anything was applied.

Thanks

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
You guys may be surprised but I use sonax polymer net shield on trim and it works very well. I saw Phil at Detailer's domain do it so I tried it. For tires I used optibond diluted down 1:1.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
I used tufshine in the past but not on the mustang yet...from what I remember it is a quality item but yes, pain in the ass to get the tire clean enough on the first run.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Ditto with the OP. The problem I have seen with some products put on the plastic trim around the windows to bring them back to life is that during a good rain it will come off and run down the windows making a streaky mess. Are there any products that will not run and make a mess when rain is involved? Thanks.

xocolleenox

. likes it topless .
Reaction score
For the outside:
I just got turned onto Chemical Guys V.R.P Dressing. I've only used it once so far but it's lasted on my exterior black pieces for over a week now and still looks great. Hasn't faded from sun or rain. And no streaking from this stuff, Timmbo.
I used it on my tires too and it really covered the browning spots on them for a good while (just starting to see a little hint of brown coming back) and made the tire nice and dark black.

Though regularly for my tires I use Meguiar's Endurance tire gel. Can make it more matte or shiny depending on how you apply it and it lasts me between baths which is usually about a week.

For interior:
I stick to 303 Aerospace Protectant. I don't like my dash to get shiny just a clean matte look and it does great and helps to protect from future UV damage to the dark interior plastics.

28ONE

Reaction score
Ditto with the OP. The problem I have seen with some products put on the plastic trim around the windows to bring them back to life is that during a good rain it will come off and run down the windows making a streaky mess. Are there any products that will not run and make a mess when rain is involved? Thanks.

CarPro Dlux

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
For the outside:
I just got turned onto Chemical Guys V.R.P Dressing. I've only used it once so far but it's lasted on my exterior black pieces for over a week now and still looks great. Hasn't faded from sun or rain. And no streaking from this stuff,

VRP is a solid product and I use it on my interior. My experience is that dew and water will make it run however and it tends to grab onto dirt and road grime, same with CG G6 Hypercoat. I use ultima tire and trim guard, but even this streaks slightly for me and after a few days holds onto road dust.

xocolleenox

. likes it topless .
Reaction score
VRP is a solid product and I use it on my interior. My experience is that dew and water will make it run however and it tends to grab onto dirt and road grime,
I haven't noticed that but it's been raining so much since I used it the other week I haven't really been able to inspect it for real. Just looking at it as a whole it looked so good and definitely hasn't streaked onto paint or glass.

evondahl

Reaction score
I use blue magic leather cleaner. Surprisingly it works outstanding.

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
noted the same problems with VRP and I'm using CG Silk Shine Dressing on all plastic and rubber now. Easy to put on, no streaking, dry quickly and doesn't sling off or attract dirt like VRP. Will easily go 1+ week if it doesn't rain or get wet.

VRP is a solid product and I use it on my interior. My experience is that dew and water will make it run however and it tends to grab onto dirt and road grime, same with CG G6 Hypercoat. I use ultima tire and trim guard, but even this streaks slightly for me and after a few days holds onto road dust.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back