Kenne Bell 2.6L HD Idler Pulley

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2008 GT with a 2.6 KB. The heavy duty idler pulley that was part of the kit seems to be sticking out kind of far. Everything runs and I have no drivability issues, but there is about a 1/16" of belt that hangs off the back of the pulley. I personally think it is a issue with the spacer that goes in-between the idler and the mounting bracket. I am talking about the one that mounts on the bracket that holds the alternator in place. If anyone has any advice on this I really appreciate it. I haven't been able to get an answer yet as to what "normal" back-spacing is. I will try to get pictures up soon. This idler seems to be further forward than all of the other pulleys on the car. Thanks in advance!

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
I had an 8 rib setup with all new pullies, but i had to basically use various other spacers and laser alignment to get everything squared. I dont recall having any issues when it was the base 6 rib kit.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
Yes that is where I am having issues. I asked the techs at Kenne Bell and they were thinking it was something else that was causing it and I never got around to a real answer. It got cold out, so since I don't really drive it through the winter and I got busy with other things, trying to figure this out got put on the back burner. My only thought was maybe the spacer got machined wrong or it was supposed to go with a different kit.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
I just called Kenne Bell again to ask about something else, and brought this back up. I went out and got some measurements for them.

Attachments

• IMG_20160113_122720721.jpg
    IMG_20160113_122720721.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 6

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Bump on this thread, still looking for an answer.

Well what did they say when you talk to them?

Mine has always been just fine. Is it possible the bushing/spacer is in backwards? They should have been able to tell you how big the spacer should have been.

I know I had to have a custom spacer for the snout machined for my 8 rib conversion. That was ~$100.

If you know how much needs to come off you can take it to a machine shop wherever you live and they could mill some of it off.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
Well what did they say when you talk to them?

Mine has always been just fine. Is it possible the bushing/spacer is in backwards? They should have been able to tell you how big the spacer should have been.

I know I had to have a custom spacer for the snout machined for my 8 rib conversion. That was ~$100.

If you know how much needs to come off you can take it to a machine shop wherever you live and they could mill some of it off.

When I called them and spoke with the original guy he asked me to measure that piece, and send him a picture of the issue. He said he got it and then never got back to me. I will be calling them tomorrow, but got busy the last week or two and hadn't called them back. I know that the spacer was put in correctly, because the small rib goes inside of the HD pulley. I will update after my call, just curious on other peoples numbers. The guy did say there is a potential for that spacer to be off of a new edge kit if it was too big, because apparently the spacer for their car is bigger than the S197s. I think I know a machinist in case I do have to go that route, I was just curious what the "correct" size of the spacer was.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score

That pulley does look like it is sticking out toooo far!
It should line up with the other pulleys.

Is that the right pulley??? The back side is recessed quite a bit and the spacer should go behind the idler by quite a bit. It might be a different pulley that is used.

Also, how thick is that plate the idler bolts into? I don't recall it being that thick; I think the one I had was about 1/4" thick at the most.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
That pulley does look like it is sticking out toooo far!
It should line up with the other pulleys.

Is that the right pulley??? The back side is recessed quite a bit and the spacer should go behind the idler by quite a bit. It might be a different pulley that is used.

Also, how thick is that plate the idler bolts into? I don't recall it being that thick; I think the one I had was about 1/4" thick at the most.

I had no luck with Kenne Bell today, I am working nights right now and the guy I was talking to had already left for the day by the time I woke up. I will be calling back tomorrow. The bracket for the idler is about 1/4" thick. I also know that it is the correct pulley. In the picture that shows how thick the rear spacer is for the HD Idler, the smaller recessed portion goes inside of the HD Idler. All of that fits correctly, I think my main issue is that the thicker side of the spacer is too big. Apparently Kenne Bell uses the same HD Idler for 6 rib and the 8 rib kits, so it is the correct pulley either way too.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I used the same pulley and spacer for both 6 and 8 rib belts. But, yes, that spacer smaller end does recess into the pulley like you got it; good. Plate being 1/4" sounds right.

Can you eyeball the rough alignment of the pulley with the other pulleys, EXCEPT for the alternator? Does it line up with the other IDLERs?
How is the alternator mounted, and IS IT ALIGNED with the crank properly?

The tricky part of the KB setup if getting the alternator lined up at the proper angle; you can't just put it in and tighten it up, as it will most likely not be aligned. I've used a laser alignment tool many times to get the alternator in the right location, because if it is off, the belt can ride bad on the idler.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
I used the same pulley and spacer for both 6 and 8 rib belts. But, yes, that spacer smaller end does recess into the pulley like you got it; good. Plate being 1/4" sounds right.

Can you eyeball the rough alignment of the pulley with the other pulleys, EXCEPT for the alternator? Does it line up with the other IDLERs?
How is the alternator mounted, and IS IT ALIGNED with the crank properly?

The tricky part of the KB setup if getting the alternator lined up at the proper angle; you can't just put it in and tighten it up, as it will most likely not be aligned. I've used a laser alignment tool many times to get the alternator in the right location, because if it is off, the belt can ride bad on the idler.

I didn't have a chance to go out and look at the car today, but I know that every pulley, including the alternator lines up, or very close. Will need to purchase a laser level, but the only one that sticks out excessively far is that HD Idler. That is why I was leaning towards this being my issue. I might need to get a couple washers to space out the bottom of that 1/4" bracket, because the HD Idler seems to be slightly further out on the top compared to the bottom. This is the best picture I have to show pulley alignment.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
It doesn't, I've only put on a couple thousand miles, but the perfectionist in me want that Idler to line up better. I need to order a spare, but that is the original and it still looks good.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Great pic of what's going on. I think a shorter bushing on the idler will solve your issue.

But, the mention of the pulley being farther out at the top vs. the bottom is concerning as well. It should be square and not leaning out more on top nor bottom. Using spacers is not a proper solution. If the plate is against the block, that is where it should be.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
Great pic of what's going on. I think a shorter bushing on the idler will solve your issue.

But, the mention of the pulley being farther out at the top vs. the bottom is concerning as well. It should be square and not leaning out more on top nor bottom. Using spacers is not a proper solution. If the plate is against the block, that is where it should be.

The bottom of the plate is firm against the alternator and the alternator is tight against the block. The top of the plate is tight against the coolant crossover. I'm not sure of any way to fix the angle issue other than spacing out the bottom of the bracket. Tried calling Kenne Bell later today, but kept getting a busy signal. Will try again tomorrow.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Are you SURE the alternator is properly aligned? When you tighten it down, you have to snug up those top two support braces first, in the right position, then tighten the bottom alternator nuts/bolts. If you tighten the bottom mounts of the alternator first, it will tilt the alternator inward at its top, in toward the engine. Mine was a little off that way, and it threw off the proper alignment. IIRC, the belt there too was pretty close to the back of the idler.

The other thing, what's the history of the idler? Has it had its bearing replaced? Maybe it has, and the wrong one was put in, or it is at a little bit of an angle or not pressed in all the way?

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
When my idler went I just replaced the entire thing. But it was new from KB.

Didn't even know you could replace just the bearing in those things.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
Are you SURE the alternator is properly aligned? When you tighten it down, you have to snug up those top two support braces first, in the right position, then tighten the bottom alternator nuts/bolts. If you tighten the bottom mounts of the alternator first, it will tilt the alternator inward at its top, in toward the engine. Mine was a little off that way, and it threw off the proper alignment. IIRC, the belt there too was pretty close to the back of the idler.

The other thing, what's the history of the idler? Has it had its bearing replaced? Maybe it has, and the wrong one was put in, or it is at a little bit of an angle or not pressed in all the way?

When my idler went I just replaced the entire thing. But it was new from KB.

Didn't even know you could replace just the bearing in those things.

The supercharger was put on new at the end of October. The whole kit was brand new at the time. I could check the alignment of the alternator and re tighten everything, because I don't know if I did it the way you said. On that note, the alternator lines up perfectly with the snout pulley of the supercharger and other pulleys. If I get a laser level and re-align the alternator it might help, but from my picture and what I can tell that HD Idler is still out too far. Not sure when I will be able to check it and re-alight it, but I will update when I do. Will also update when I hear from kenne bell.

Another quick question, even if I adjust the top two bolts on the alternator the bottom of the alternator will still have to be tight against the motor correct?

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
To me the alt looks fine. I forget the sequence of how to tighten so just refer to instructions.

If your belt isn't squealing or slipping, than out it should be fine.

You need to be blowing up KBs phone and email. They should be making sure you get what you need. They treated me great and sent me parts to replace what I had before I sent the damaged parts back. But I've heard several times people have a hard time getting them on the phone.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
To me the alt looks fine. I forget the sequence of how to tighten so just refer to instructions.

If your belt isn't squealing or slipping, than out it should be fine.

You need to be blowing up KBs phone and email. They should be making sure you get what you need. They treated me great and sent me parts to replace what I had before I sent the damaged parts back. But I've heard several times people have a hard time getting them on the phone.

I emailed the gentleman I was talking to at Kenne Bell, because I kept getting a busy signal, and when I did get through he had left for the day both days. He emailed me promptly this morning and said that the spacer I have is the correct one for the kit.

That being said I might have to have someone machine the spacer, due to be belt hanging over the back of that HD idler pulley. I'm not sure why my engine has issues when everyone else's engines line up fine. I just don't want to tear up the belt with it riding off the back side of that idler.

How do you guys go about lining everything up with a laser level. Any suggestions on models of level and where you placed it to do the alignment will be appreciated. I have used a laser level before, just never to align pullies.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back