Kooks 1 7/8 install

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice(besides removing the K member) on how to squeeze these between the chassis and the motor/transmission? I have the motor mount and bracket removed on the left side and the engine is lifted to the point that the body is beginning to lift also.

sixohtofiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
Sometimes removing the studs helps. Are you using a lift? I've did two sets of Pypes, and I couldn't imagine doing it with out due to the angle of header when it goes in.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Studs are removed. Since they are mid length header I am not having any problem with ground/angle clearance. It's the width of the headers and squeezing them through the back part of the K member and the bell housing.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
only lift one side of the engine at a time, leave one side still bolted down so the engine tilts to 1 side. that will allow for alot more room

collibr1

forum member
Reaction score
The passenger side was the hardest. I removed the battery, battery tray, starter, header studs and motor mount. Jack the one side up and it will go. Takes a little bit to get it in there but it does goes.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
It's not going to happen for me. On top of that I pushed the bottom of the oil pan in a little. Used a jack, 4x4 and a roll of paper towels and it still happened. Now I'm in the process of putting it back to stock so I can take it to someone who can drop the k member. I just hope the oil pick up isn't damaged so I can drive it there. Everything that worked for me on the 2007 didn't work on this car. Sooooo pissed off right now. Thank you everyone for your advice and concern. Rob

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Remember the 1 7/8 is bigger with less clearance/ I just did a set of Bassani on an 08 Shelby and they sucked to do. Took the Drivers side out with the K Member still in the car.

Removed the K Member and it was a breeze!

2c5s

forum member
Reaction score
Did my 1 7/8 SW's without dropping the K member. I hate to say it without seeing the header, but past experience with Kook's = difficult installs due to shitty tube designs.

dragpac

forum member
Reaction score
12 hours for me to put pipes on my 09 without removing the k member.I would Not do it again.plus no lift for a added bonus

collibr1

forum member
Reaction score
DO not lift from the oil pan! 1. Your lifting the entire engine evenly, not up on just one side and 2 the oil pan will cruch pretty easily. Take about an 6-8 inch piece of 2x4 and place it on the lip by where the oil pan bolts to the engine block and where the starter sits. You will see a perfect spot to place the wood. Once you start jacking up from here it will not only raise the motor up but will tilt it towards the driver side giving you more clearance. It it a PITA but can be done in your garage with out removing your k member.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
It takes a lot of awkward bends to make the last two primaries the same length as the first two.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Just from the pics alone the Kooks look like they'd be a little tougher to install than the American Racing or Stainless Works ones. The Kooks with their mid length equal length design look like a nightmare compared to the other two. I wonder why Kooks uses a mid length as opposed to a full length?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back