kooks install, boss 302, help, wtf

fastregalwe2

Need more powa!
Reaction score
I CANNOT get the driver side header past the trans/k-member. WTF am I missing here. Engine is jacked up as high as it will go, motor mount is out, steering knuckle is off. One tube hits the trans and the other is hitting the k-member

travelers

Reaction score
Did you remove the motor mount on the motor? I had to on my '07 and it gave it more room. I also didn't tighten the other side but installed.

hotrod_renegade

Captain Hindsight
Reaction score
I wanted to set the car on fire and go to the bar when I did mine. Out of everything I've done to my car, the headers were the worst. Will not do again.

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
Have you tried shifting engine/trans to the right since you have both mounts out?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Everything I've read about the Kooks headers for the '11-14's say you have to drop the K-member. LOL!!!!!!

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Everything I've read about the Kooks headers for the '11-14's say you have to drop the K-member. LOL!!!!!!

Exactly! I have Kooks 1 7/8ths and could not get them in by removing the motor mounts and jacking the engine up. K member is going to have to be dropped.

Last edited:

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Oh so kooks doesn't exactly have the best fitment now do they!!!!!

Once they are installed the professional way the fitment was perfect. Kooks also has head flange/primary tube welds that are 2nd to none.

OP since the fitment is tight due to the equal length primaries I would highly recommend Prothane motor mounts.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
Took me 25 minutes to remove the k member on my sw long tube install. I dont want to think about trying it with the k still there.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Fitment is excellent. Install can be challenging. K Member needs to be lowered. An extra inch or so goes a long way!

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
What do you use to hold the engine up when you remove the K-Member? An Engine support bar?

Depends on how it is being done. In a shop with a lift, then yes, an Engine Support bar goes a long way. It can also be done with an appropriate jack and some wood beneath the oil pan

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I installed my headers with the k in and had absolutely no issues. It was just time consuming.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on how it is being done. In a shop with a lift, then yes, an Engine Support bar goes a long way. It can also be done with an appropriate jack and some wood beneath the oil pan

I don't mean to seem to be nit picky but if you have access to an engine support bar would you recommend not using it if you were doing this in your driveway? I am just trying to figure out the best way to support the engine for when I drop my K-Member.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
I don't mean to seem to be nit picky but if you have access to an engine support bar would you recommend not using it if you were doing this in your driveway? I am just trying to figure out the best way to support the engine for when I drop my K-Member.

Large block of wood on a jack under the transmission bell housing (like a 4x4). Have the car on 4 large jack stands. Had the bmr k-member and SW headers done in 4.5hrs with a friend. I did have nice cordless impacts for the k-member removal though.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score

The Engine support bar will help stabilize the engine location so you can drop the K Member for clearance. By all means if you have the equipment, utilize it!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back