Kooks or Pypes LT Headers

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Had Pypes LT's on my '08 for almost 10 years under my ownership (still on the car as far as I know). Never leaked, no material breakdown, just typical discoloration common for cheap headers. Could always clean them up fairly well with a green scrub pad and alcohol. Nothing can take off the heat discoloration, but definitely can keep the shine on with engine detail intervals. Performance-wise, expect similar results as you would from a legit set of kooks.

For the record, would absolutely buy again.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
And they are indeed stainless and fit decent?
If I was to update a tune what would I say they are - what brand of longtube headers?
I may go ahead and order some, they will look good on garage wall if nothing else lol.
What h pipe would you run with these? do the chinese make short h pipes? lol

Mine are still sitting because of my schedule so o2sys will have to answer that. I think one of the primaries rubbed on his steering shaft slightly but if thats the biggest problem with these knock offs I wouldnt bat an eye. And if engine masters has taught us anything its that you can dent headers and it wont affect power output lol.

I have a pypes x pipe to go with them and I think thats what o2 is running as well. Really any mid pipe designed to fit Mac, Pypes and Kooks long tubes will fit these.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Yes it rubs on right turns only. I got me some UPR motor mounts to see if it will solve that issue but everywhere else it fits very good and I have it mated to the Pypes H-pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.... which cylinders tube is rubbing? Would pre install hammer beat down on that tube solve the issue? How much interference are we talking? Just a couple mm?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Im sure if you have poly motor mounts rubbing wont be an issue. I have sr performance adjustable poly mounts and I can tell you the motor does not move compared to the factory mounts. The factory mounts are garbage allowing way too much movement. Poly mounts will increase nvh but its a must have for any s197 especially with manual transmissions.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If they are the Pypes/Kooks copies then yeah that h-pipe should work.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
There's about 3mm of clearance.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys.... just ordered my sct x4 from steeda and have a little extra left over in paypal so was going to order the ebay headers but noticed on AM that the longtubes are divided in years 05-09 and 2010-2014.,,,,,
The ebay headers are 05-09 but my 2010 still has the 4.6 so im confused to if they will fit or not, did 2010 start any suspension or steering change to where they wouldnt fit?

EDIT.... nevermind..... I had to change it to 05-09 on AM then the pypes LT show as fitting 05-10 plus the ebay listing says fits 2010.

Just sent an $80 offer...lol we will see

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys.... just ordered my sct x4 from steeda and have a little extra left over in paypal so was going to order the ebay headers but noticed on AM that the longtubes are divided in years 05-09 and 2010-2014.,,,,,
The ebay headers are 05-09 but my 2010 still has the 4.6 so im confused to if they will fit or not, did 2010 start any suspension or steering change to where they wouldnt fit?

EDIT.... nevermind..... I had to change it to 05-09 on AM then the pypes LT show as fitting 05-10 plus the ebay listing says fits 2010.

Just sent an $80 offer...lol we will see

The tips on the mufflers are longer on the 2010 vs 05-09. The rest of the exhaust is the same.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Did you guys with the ebay headers run the included gaskets or buy different ones?
I got a set coming for $100. For $100 its worth the gamble i guess.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I got new oem gaskets. You can reuse oem gaskets as well. OEM is best imo.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
For the hassle involved installing LT's, always install NEW, OEM header gaskets. They are cheap from AM and elsewhere. The FRPP ones listed on AM's site are oem. About the only time the oem gaskets are re-used, is if the car is essentially new. With the mileage you have on ur car, I wouldn't take a chance re-using the old junk. One minor leak anywhere, and you are back to square one.. a major pita.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about new OEM replacements but the OE gaskets on my car were two piece (two ports per gasket, so two per side). Every other MLS gasket I've seen, Ford Racing included, is just a one piece gasket which is so much easier to deal with.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Got the ebay LT's in today. They seem pretty decent.... flanges are straight.
Im a little worried about the welds only being on one side of the flange though.
Wondering if they will rattle or crack.
On one header all the welds are nice and uniform, the other header must of been welded by a greenhorn, snaking welds with ropiness that had to be ground down with a diegrinder.
I been welding for 20+ years so im always critical about welds on stuff lol.
I dont have a tig setup but have a dual mig setup with gas..... thought about running some quick welds on outside of flange but scared to warp the whole thing.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I used the Percy's Seal-4-Good header gaskets. They worked really well, never had an issue. I would use them again, but I've never had issues with OEM gaskets either.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used the Percy's Seal-4-Good header gaskets. They worked really well, never had an issue. I would use them again, but I've never had issues with OEM gaskets either.

I used those last time I had my headers out, but this last time I removed them I found out that the port openings in the Percy's gaskets are so big that they didn't agree with my JBA's for some reason and I could see a couple spots on the driver's side gasket where it looks like it was leaking a bit.

travelers

Reaction score
Got the ebay LT's in today. They seem pretty decent.... flanges are straight.
Im a little worried about the welds only being on one side of the flange though.
Wondering if they will rattle or crack.
On one header all the welds are nice and uniform, the other header must of been welded by a greenhorn, snaking welds with ropiness that had to be ground down with a diegrinder.
I been welding for 20+ years so im always critical about welds on stuff lol.
I dont have a tig setup but have a dual mig setup with gas..... thought about running some quick welds on outside of flange but scared to warp the whole thing.

If you stitch weld the outside you should be ok. If you really want to insure it bolt a 1/4'' angle to the flange. Make sure you use the correct type wire.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah... probably a good idea.
Bolt it to a piece of angle and stitch it, then come back after it completely cools and finish stitching it in.

Ill probably pick up a small spool of .025 stainless wire next time im at hardware store.

Are these things chromed?
If they are going to discolor real bad i thought about just painting them with header paint before installing. Did you guys use header wrap?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
They are polished not chromed. They are brown/blue after running them.

Back