Learning to make fast go fast!

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure you give the system a good cleaning and use a 6 micron filter to keep all the shit away from the injectors.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Make sure you give the system a good cleaning and use a 6 micron filter to keep all the shit away from the injectors.

I plan to flush the entire system with 5 gal of gas before connecting the rails. I was set on a 10 micron filter at the recommendation of ID. They did say the 6 micron are the only ones that they have injectors come it to be cleaned and are perfect. I think 10 micron is the smallest to fit my areomotive filter housing. Who makes the 6 micron?

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I plan to flush the entire system with 5 gal of gas before connecting the rails. I was set on a 10 micron filter at the recommendation of ID. They did say the 6 micron are the only ones that they have injectors come it to be cleaned and are perfect. I think 10 micron is the smallest to fit my areomotive filter housing. Who makes the 6 micron?

I'd drop the tank just to be on the safe side. The injectors I bought from you were pretty clogged.

I hate suggesting for you to drop more money but id run a 6 micron filter just to be on the safe side. This is what I have and have not had any issues with the 2000's since having the T1 guys clean them. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fue-85832-1/overview/

It's flippin expensive for a filter, but it could save you from having to clean another set, or losing another engine. Plus it has a check valve to keep pressure in the rails.

I also filter the e85 from the fuel jugs that I filled at the pump before I drum it up at the house.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I'd drop the tank just to be on the safe side. The injectors I bought from you were pretty clogged.

I hate suggesting for you to drop more money but id run a 6 micron filter just to be on the safe side. This is what I have and have not had any issues with the 2000's since having the T1 guys clean them. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fue-85832-1/overview/

It's flippin expensive for a filter but, it could save you from having to clean another set, or losing another engine. Plus it has a check valve to keep pressure in the rails.

I also filter the e85 from the fuel jugs that I filled at the pump before I drum it up at the house.

I'm glad to hear they cleaned up. Did they say what they found in them?

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear they cleaned up. Did they say what they found in them?

A little grit. I'd even take everything out of the car, flush with filtered e85(Or whatever you are going to run) then blast it all dry with an air hose before reinstalling everything.

I'm in the process of moving, but I can try to find the injector box with the flow sheets of before and after to show you what they looked like.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
A little grit. I'd even take everything out of the car, flush with filtered e85(Or whatever you are going to run) then blast it all dry with an air hose before reinstalling everything.

I'm in the process of moving, but I can try to find the injector box with the flow sheets of before and after to show you what they looked like.
What fuel are you running in them now?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Pump e85 for now and hopefully e98 if I can find it within a few hours.

If you're going to run that high a concentration of alcohol you should really hook up an electric vacuum pump after your last run of the day to one valve cover, block off the breather on that cover and draw air through the engine for a good 5-10 minutes while it cools off. High alcohol contents leave a ton of moisture in the engine and will rust things out quickly.

I'm going to be installing an electric vacuum pump on my big block and will be doing that at the end of each race day after the car is loaded on the trailer. And I'm just going to be using E85.

If you're on yellowbullet, post #8 shows the pump I plan to use.... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523691

Last edited:

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
If you're going to run that high a concentration of alcohol you should really hook up an electric vacuum pump after your last run of the day to one valve cover, block off the breather on that cover and draw air through the engine for a good 5-10 minutes while it cools off. High alcohol contents leave a ton of moisture in the engine and will rust things out quickly.

I'm going to be installing an electric vacuum pump on my big block and will be doing that at the end of each race day after the car is loaded on the trailer. And I'm just going to be using E85.

If you're on yellowbullet, post #8 shows the pump I plan to use.... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523691

I create vacuum from the downpipe to evacuate the crankcase for better ring seal, but didn't think about it leaving moisture. I'll have to check into that. So far I've been filling the car up with e79 for the past 5 months or so and haven't seen any signs of moisture, but I always make sure the car has been at operational temp for a few minutes before shutting off.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I create vacuum from the downpipe to evacuate the crankcase for better ring seal, but didn't think about it leaving moisture. I'll have to check into that. So far I've been filling the car up with e79 for the past 5 months or so and haven't seen any signs of moisture, but I always make sure the car has been at operational temp for a few minutes before shutting off.
Is it set up similar to the evac valves the go the the collectors on race cars?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score

E98 is a totally different animal with moisture than E85 is...much closer to methanol as far as pulling moisture into the block. Just look at the pictures in this thread showing what was in this guy's catch can. Lito told me his ethanol content was over 90%. http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125551

I suspect that if you street drive the car enough you may be ok but if it's going to sit for any length of time(more than a few days) that you really want to pull air through the engine at the end of the day for a fair amount of time to get any moisture out.

On my big block I'll be running breathers to a catch can on the valve covers and then also have the electric vacuum pump hooked up to a valve cover and I'll put a ball valve on the breather line that's on the same side as the vacuum pump so it's forced to pull from the other side through the block. I don't know how well that will work on the 3-valve due to the open nature of the front cover though.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Is it set up similar to the evac valves the go the the collectors on race cars?

Yes sir.

E98 is a totally different animal with moisture than E85 is...much closer to methanol as far as pulling moisture into the block. Just look at the pictures in this thread showing what was in this guy's catch can. Lito told me his ethanol content was over 90%. http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125551

I suspect that if you street drive the car enough you may be ok but if it's going to sit for any length of time(more than a few days) that you really want to pull air through the engine at the end of the day for a fair amount of time to get any moisture out.

On my big block I'll be running breathers to a catch can on the valve covers and then also have the electric vacuum pump hooked up to a valve cover and I'll put a ball valve on the breather line that's on the same side as the vacuum pump so it's forced to pull from the other side through the block. I don't know how well that will work on the 3-valve due to the open nature of the front cover though.

Back home we typically see e90 to e93 from the pumps and I have not see anything quite that bad. Luckily around here the humidity is around 10% but I will be paying attention to it more closely now. Thanks for the heads up!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Yes sir

Back home we typically see e90 to e93 from the pumps and I have not see anything quite that bad. Luckily around here the humidity is around 10% but I will be paying attention to it more closely now. Thanks for the heads up!

I have dual setup I built for my car, just never tested it.

The e85 I removed from my tank a couple weeks ago from last April, still reads 89% like the day I put it in there in the tester.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

That picture is more typical of not getting the motor up to operating temp multiple times in cold weather. At least that's been my experience. Bringing the motor up to temp helps to evaporate the moisture. The only time I've had a pudding residue (nothing as bad as that pic) has been in the winter.

Methanol is a whole different fuel than Ethanol. It has a different stoich and is known to be corrosive.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
That picture is more typical of not getting the motor up to operating temp multiple times in cold weather. At least that's been my experience. Bringing the motor up to temp helps to evaporate the moisture. The only time I've had a pudding residue (nothing as bad as that pic) has been in the winter.

Methanol is a whole different fuel than Ethanol. It has a different stoich and is known to be corrosive.
I'm aware of the corrosive properties, that's why I stated the moisture absorbing properties. I've been running e85 in my car for about 3 years now but now that it's race only I need to take precautions since I don't have the ability to street drive it any longer.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score

I think that is key when running any type of alcohol, especially with an engine that has bigger ring gaps for boost/nitrous.

If I have to move the car farther than I'm willing to push, I will let it run until the fans cycles on before I shut it off.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I have dual setup I built for my car, just never tested it.

The e85 I removed from my tank a couple weeks ago from last April, still reads 89% like the day I put it in there in the tester.

How is it routed? I'm setting mine up with a breather on the driver side and the vacuum connected on the pass with a regulator/check valve and separator/catch can.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
How is it routed? I'm setting mine up with a breather on the driver side and the vacuum connected on the pass with a regulator/check valve and separator/catch can.
Its not on the car right now. I had it connected to both valve covers via AN fittings and braided -12 hoses to two one way check valves in the x pipe just past the collectors.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
One thing is that if you have mufflers, the connection point needs to be after them. Mufflers, even if straight through race mufflers, will cause the evac setup to not function properly.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back