Lets talk DSLR's

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
In the end, it's the photographer that takes great photos. Although some people rely to heavily on editing software and multi-thousand dollar cameras...

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Currently using a t2i and love it. Have the lenses it came with plus the nifty fifty for portraits but I dont know shit on how to really use it beyond basic settings and have never done any post processing other than cropping...and have had it like 2 years now. Finally just bought an instructional dvd. But I will say this, ive seen many gorgeous pics straight from cameras whereas ive also seen many that people process which to me often look too fake or overdone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

rayS197

Reaction score
Well i have a D3100 on the way. Im tired of using a point and shoot.
Its a great entry level camera. Thats what I use. Im by far no photographer. Laura is the pro here. She takes some awesome pictures. Like she stated take a local class just to have them explain some things. I took a one day class and it was very informative. Here some you have seen from this weekend. I had my zoom lens but was asked to take the pic.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok guys. I'm buying my wife a dslr camera for black Friday and decided on either the canon t5i or the nikon d7000. Both on sale at best buy. I was leaning towards the d7000 since it's only 150 bucks more. We do plan on reading and watching videos and learning how to really use the camera to its capabilites. Main reason is to take pictures of our soon to be born baby that's due in February. I figure we have until then to really learn how to take quality pictures. I also plan on taking some pictures of the cars, scenery, and various other stuff so I'd like an all around good camera. ANY opinions on the 2 models before I buy one??

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Ok guys. I'm buying my wife a dslr camera for black Friday and decided on either the canon t5i or the nikon d7000. Both on sale at best buy. I was leaning towards the d7000 since it's only 150 bucks more. We do plan on reading and watching videos and learning how to really use the camera to its capabilites. Main reason is to take pictures of our soon to be born baby that's due in February. I figure we have until then to really learn how to take quality pictures. I also plan on taking some pictures of the cars, scenery, and various other stuff so I'd like an all around good camera. ANY opinions on the 2 models before I buy one??

D7000 $550 body only, which is fine as you can get the lens you want:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7418356-nikon-d7000-16-2mp-digital-slr-camera-body-only-549-95-free-shipping

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
T5i and pick up the 50mm lens! Boom! It will come with a kit lens that is what is just fine. I film and take pics with my T3i.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
What lens would be a good one to buy with the body? The best buy one comes with a lens

Depends on your needs. How much is it @ Best Buy?

Amazon has it with a standard 18-55 lens for $650 today:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00OJNTB...T74PZ720XT0T1TJ&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1958457582

Here's also some deals on a 70D for your consideration:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7432216-can...00-18-135-stm-for-850-from-canon-refurb-store

You can't go wrong with any of them IMO. Personally I still use my T2i and think it's great.

Last edited:

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's 550 for the canon t5i and 699 for the nikon at best buy. Might just go with the t5i and use the other money towards my wife's other gifts.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's 550 for the canon t5i and 699 for the nikon at best buy. Might just go with the t5i and use the other money towards my wife's other gifts.

You first might want to Google t5i vs d7000, I'm sure there's lot's of info and comparo's. They are both great though, I'm sure. Just a matter of which will be better for your specific needs, which one feels better in her hand, etc. You really can't go wrong but I thought I remember reading the latest Nikon's are better than the latest Canon's though.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Might be wrong on the pricing. Can't seem to find the ad anymore. I want to say the d7000 was 799 with the 18-140mm lens. Too early for my brain to function finding ads haha. I'll look for them again later today.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Also, just remember these DSLR's can get very complicated, and to get the best results you really have to read a lot and/or watch video's or take classes. And they are also not exactly compact. You don't just "have them on you" You have to bring them with you in a bag with any other lenses you use. If you think she'll want something simple and compact, check out a mirrorless point and shoots which can yield surprisingly good results.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Ended up getting the nikon d7000. Now to get started on videos of how to use the damn thing before it comes in!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How or for what are you going to be using the camera?

I assume family pictures, but indoors or outdoors? Scenic shots? Action shots (sports). Etc.

I like Canon, but the Canon / Nikon thing is like Ford / Chevy. Some models are obviously better then others (like V6 mustang vs a GT500). But as already stated, someone who knows how to use all of the different settings on a camera will shoot better pics then the guy that buys the "Z06" but puts everything on AUTO.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Ended up getting the nikon d7000. Now to get started on videos of how to use the damn thing before it comes in!

Great camera. She should love it. Hopefully she makes the most of it. Like psfracer indicated, if she will only shoot on auto, you'd be better off with a really good point and shoot. But if she figures out how to use it you will get some amazing pics.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back