Lets talk DSLR's

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
anyone on here doing HDR shots? from what little ive read you take about 3 to 6 different shots with different exposures and somehow you overlap them.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
anyone on here doing HDR shots? from what little ive read you take about 3 to 6 different shots with different exposures and somehow you overlap them.

DSC_6786.jpg

DSC_4909.jpg

DSC_0189_90_91_tonemapped.jpg

DSC_0061_HDR1.png

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I shoot a Nikon D5100. I may upgrade to a D7000 soon.

It's gonna be hard to tell what camera is better by looking at people pictures. Truth be told, the camera doesn't matter as much as the lens. And the lens doesn't matter as much as the photographer.

[/End thread]

Damn, couldn't have said it better myself.

Canon EOS Rebel T1i here with EFS18-200mm with image stabilization. If buying one today, a good first DSLR would be a Rebel t3i. Here are a few, which I have cropped a little, but no other adjustments:

SCSN8Bowman3.jpg:original

SCSN70.jpg:original

SCSN8HotStreet3.jpg:original

SCSNtrack2.jpg:original

DerricksMustangweb1.jpg:original

And a couple nature shots:

Image stabilization really works---this one I took from a Kayak, which was certainly not still.

OtterBest1web.jpg:original

condor8web.jpg:original

Condor3web.jpg:original

And the Bugaboos, in British Columbia. Probably one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring places I have been. No color adjustments, it really was that fantastic. I know, it almost looks fake.

Bugaboos1web.jpg:original

BugaboosMountain1web.jpg:original

Lake Louise area, Canada:

LakeLouise1web.jpg:original

Last edited:

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score

Check out this website for HDR info: http://www.stuckincustoms.com. He has some good info on HDR photography.

The basics of it is that you need your normal exposure with X amount of +1 & -1 stops above and below so you can get all the details in the highlights and shadows. You can do it in 2 or 1 stop increments, with 1 stop increments some say you cut down noise. Most cameras HDR mode just take 3 exposures but you normally need more to get all the details. You can then merge them in Photoshop or with HDR specific software like Photomatix.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
[/End thread]

Damn, couldn't have said it better myself.

Canon EOS Rebel T1i here with EFS18-200mm with image stabilization. If buying one today, a good first DSLR would be a Rebel t3i. Here are a few, which I have cropped a little, but no other adjustments:

Those are stunning pictures psf! Nice shots, are you using auto-white balance? Out of laziness, I always use auto-white balance and then adjust it later but it seems whatever you're doing (either selecting manually or your camera's light meter happened to compute just right), it's working out great.

On another note, there will always be a Nikon vs Canon debate. I'll say this, the only reason I went Nikon over Canon is because most of my serious photographer friends use Nikon. This means I get to borrow their lenses to use with my camera and it also helps if you're new because you can ask them things about your camera. While experienced photographers will have no problems using both, Nikon and Canon sometimes have different names for the same functions or options.

Either way, if most of your friends shoot one brand, I always recommend starting with that if they are the helpful kind and trust you enough to lend you costly lenses. In terms of technology, there is little difference between Canon and Nikon in the modern world--although I have to say (and not just because I shoot a Nikon) that Nikon glass seems to outperform Canon glass (very very blanket statement here, Nikon and Canon both have their select incredible and terrible lenses). Of course, you could never practically test Nikon vs Canon lenses since they don't fit the same cameras and are not constructed the same for a fair comparison. Just my $0.02.

In other news, I just ordered the new Nikon D7100 and graduated my D5100 to my brother. :clap:

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I went Mirrorless.

Full HD 1920x1080 & 12.1 megapixels, Touch Panel LCD, Face recognition and shit ton more than I know.... lol. It shoots great indoors and out. It's been a sweet little camera. I'm dieing to get some more lenses

DMC-GF5K
30-180-504-Z02

panasonic-lumix-dmc-gf5-review.jpg

IMG_4389_zpsddb6542e.jpg

P1000364_zps6667efde.jpg

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
Check out this website for HDR info: http://www.stuckincustoms.com. He has some good info on HDR photography.

The basics of it is that you need your normal exposure with X amount of +1 & -1 stops above and below so you can get all the details in the highlights and shadows. You can do it in 2 or 1 stop increments, with 1 stop increments some say you cut down noise. Most cameras HDR mode just take 3 exposures but you normally need more to get all the details. You can then merge them in Photoshop or with HDR specific software like Photomatix.

thanks

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
D3200 with kit lens and photoshop cs5.
I have surpassed the d3200 and am hoping to get a D7100 soon. :)

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Nikon D90 here. The camera is more capable than I am right now.

These are an example of the D90's "In-Camera" edit features.

BeachWinds-1.jpg

BeachWinds4.jpg

BeachWinds3.jpg

Here's a picture that only had some contrast added to it:

DSC_0123.jpg

This was on auto program mode as is the one above it:

DSC_0154.jpg

The only editing done to this one was to obscure the license plate. I have trouble with full on sun and sun reflection pictures when in manual mode, but I think I did OK with this one.

DSC_0148.jpg

You get the idea.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Looking at getting my first real camera, was looking at this one the other day at best buy:

Nikon Coolpix P520, good one or no? What would you recommend in that price range?

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/de...cw1tACjrhn8I8CZ5jAbhY772IPX&pid=1218864968195

For $300-$400, you can get a d3100 refurb.

If you can spend a tad bit more, they are only ~$450 brand new with a kit lens:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-14-2MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B003ZYF3LO

You could find one on ebay with just a body and pick up another kit lens off ebay for $20.

Either way, I would definitely go into an SLR if you want to get into more than just point-and-shoot photography.

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
Yeah I would reccomend saving a little bit more for a entry level DSLR. What exactly are you looking for in it? I worked for Best Buy in Digital Imaging for about a half year and I may be able to help you out.

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
Just something to use on trips and for car photo shoots. Don't plan on getting into nothing heavy.

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
I would reccomend getting a entry level DSLR such as the D3100 or D3200. The auto modes are great on these cameras, and they have a small guide mode to help you choose what kind of picture youre after. You also are able to choose different lenses still with it so if you ever need to take long shots or extreme close ups, you can adapt.

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Go canon! Lol! T3i or even the T2i! Shoots 1080p video and is easy to learn on! Great cameras!

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
TBH I don't pay much attention with Cannon. Just be sure that you do research if you do buy a entry DSLR because once you buy one brand you probably wont go back!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back