Lets talk Ford axlebacks (all 6 of them)

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
It seems there are like 6 different kinds for the 2011-2014 years that I can see... and every other company that sells them seems to twist around the part numbers and descriptions... so it's practically a lottery on what you're getting. Levitton ford and tasca usually have the lowest prices so I started there. Levitton seems to have the part numbers and descriptions right (at least they make sense to me, aka SVT part numbers named GT500 and GT part numbers "ford racing")...

http://www.levittownfordparts.com/ford-performance-exhaust-systems-c-36_52_82_380.html

Ford Racing Mustang GT / Boss Sport Muffler Kit (49 State) M-5230-MGTLA
Ford Racing Mustang GT / Boss Touring Muffler Kit (50 State) M-5230-MGTCA
Ford Racing Mustang GT Muffler Kit (50 State) M-5230-MGTCA1

Ford Racing Mustang Shelby GT500 Sport Muffler Kit (49 State) M-5230-MSVTLA
Ford Racing Mustang Shelby GT500 Touring Muffler Kit (50 State) M-5230-MSVTCA

Ford Racing Mustang Shelby GT500 Sport Muffler Kit (49 State) M-5230-MSVTLB (quad tips, don't care)

Then there's this: https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Axle-Back-Exhaust-Comparison-2011-14 where they claim to test:

11-14 Mustang Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust Kit, M-5230-MGTLA
11-14 Mustang Ford Racing GT500 Style Axle-Back Kit M-5230-MGTCA1 <--- that appears to not be right... sigh.
that second one seems to be a bit louder than the 1st one... except for at 70mph cruising

So, which one did you get, what part number, how do you like it, how loud is it vs stock, and did it weigh any less than stock? Feel free to post videos too with the part number...

Last but not least, any other suggestions for an axle back that won't break the bank, is 20 lbs lighter than stock (seems all of them like Roush and whatnot are), and isn't too loud? No Akrapovic titanium stuff... :D

The car in question is a 2013 with a paxton, and soon to have long tubes and x pipe. I imagine the stock mufflers will probably hold it back some in the power department...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I bought the second one on your list for my car, the 'Ford Racing touring'. I chose that one because I had the Borla Touring on my last car and loved it, and was told that this was made by Borla so I assumed it would be the same. It was also on sale and was substantially cheaper than buying the Borla version.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-touring-axleback-1114gt.html

I don't know or care how much they weigh. I'm not trying to shave ounces off my car weight. I also don't want a car so loud that it becomes a nuisance to my neighbors. All the loud ones sound good the first time they drive by, but after a while they are just loud.

What I like about the Touring is that it's more of a deep rumble and a bit refined at low rpm. Louder and deeper than stock but not obnoxious on my '14.

Adding a blower will definitely change the exhaust tone. On my Bullitt the Borla Touring was definitely louder, and volume increased as I raised the blower output. At 10-12psi it was great, at 15psi it was a beast. I originally switched to the Borla because I kept blowing out the baffles in the stock Bullitt mufflers. I went through three sets of Bullitt mufflers before switching.

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score
CORSA all the way!!!!!

I once refused to spend that much money on an axleback (I still think its rediculous)

But after having them on for about a year now. there is ZERO drone, its reasonably loud during normal driving, and really opens up and sounds amazing when your on it!

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Legato.

On a serious note, Borla makes the Ford Racing exhausts, but with cheaper materials to hit the lower price point. Sound is mostly going to be the same. Sport is probably going to be like the S-Type Borla's while Touring is obviously going to sound like the Touring Borla's

The "GT Muffler Kit" is probably Ford's attempt at better flowing exhaust.

WTF is required in a muffler to make it 50 vs 49 state legal?!

Sound pollution. If it is similar to an O/R ATAK setup, then Cali definitely isn't going to like it.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
^ Had those previously on my car, purchased from a member here, JewC75 I think it was. They are really great sounding mufflers for the 11-14 GT. That being said, if you want something a bit throatier, get the Roush. There is very little drone at highway speeds, surprisingly for as loud as they are.

Really wish that I would have gone Roush from the start instead of GT500's to Flowmaster Outlaws and back and forth because one was too loud, the other too quiet. Get the damn Roush.

1BigDog

forum member
Reaction score
Roush. Nice sound at open throttle but quiets down for light footed driving and no drone. And they are 20 lbs lighter and take up less space under the car.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
^ Had those previously on my car, purchased from a member here, JewC75 I think it was. They are really great sounding mufflers for the 11-14 GT. That being said, if you want something a bit throatier, get the Roush. There is very little drone at highway speeds, surprisingly for as loud as they are.

Really wish that I would have gone Roush from the start instead of GT500's to Flowmaster Outlaws and back and forth because one was too loud, the other too quiet. Get the damn Roush.

How is the sound of the Roush for the 2005-10 GT ? IIRC the 5.0 Coyote has a complete different sound when compared to the older 4.6 3v..

As for drone, I've read mixed opinions from those who have Borla "S" type Ford Racing, Magnaflow, Roush and Corsa.. From those opinions, 50% claim they experience no drone while the other 50% claim otherwise.. The only exception however is Corsa, but from my understanding they have a higher pitched exhaust tone which I'm not really looking for and the much higher cost would also be a factor as well..

Roush. Nice sound at open throttle but quiets down for light footed driving and no drone. And they are 20 lbs lighter and take up less space under the car.

Would the drone factor also apply to 2005-10 GT 3v 4.6 models or just 11-14 Coyote models ?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had Corsa Xtremes before my Roush axle-backs. The Corsa have ZERO drone. I mean none. But they were not loud at all. Like I would be full-throttle at an autocross and people said they couldn't even hear my car.

Mustangs are supposed to be loud and frightening to small children.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had Corsa Xtremes before my Roush axle-backs. The Corsa have ZERO drone. I mean none. But they were not loud at all. Like I would be full-throttle at an autocross and people said they couldn't even hear my car.

Mustangs are supposed to be loud and frightening to small children.

And yet Corsa Extremes are supposedly well known for being loud when compared with their Sport axle back, so if the Extremes are that quiet ? I can just imagine how quiet the Corsa sports are lol.

As for the Roush axle back, I'm definitely very interested in purchasing them for my 06 GT, however Roush only offers their Extreme axle back kit for the 2005-10 GT which is pretty much a muffler delete/resonator type or my only other choice would be their off road axle back without tips, so I'm not really sure as to which Roush kit to go with at this point :shrug:

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
They are supposed to be loud. Get the Roush, pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Had the Roush AB's on factory cats/midpipe/afterpipes. Loud but not drony in the car.

Went O/R H pipe and picked up the second M-5230-mgtca. Sound great. No drone, a little more refined tone cruising, yet definitely there at WOT. Tips look really nice after a nice polish and buff with some SS cleaner as well.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Roush's are ok if the rest of the system is setup right. Have a friend with Roush AB's and an O/R X pipe. The X pipe made it unbearable inside the car. However, I have heard people with "proper" exhaust systems with Roush mufflers, and it sounds fine.

46addict

Reaction score
What was done from the midpipe forward? Just curious to see what people think about the GT500 mufflers when paired with an O/R or highflow midpipe.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Roush's are ok if the rest of the system is setup right. Have a friend with Roush AB's and an O/R X pipe. The X pipe made it unbearable inside the car. However, I have heard people with "proper" exhaust systems with Roush mufflers, and it sounds fine.

Yip, that is why I pulled the Roush exhaust when I added the OR H and went with the well proven over and over and over Gt500 mufflers and OR midpipe.

BTW - I scared two guys on Harley's having a rev contest in a tunnel almost off their bikes when I slipped up beside them in the next lane, popped in neutral and lit up the Roush mufflers. They had "deer in the headlight" syndrome in their eyes with their lips wrapped around the word "DAAAAMN !!!" LOL! Gave me the thumbs up and took off. That was all with factory exhaust otherwise. ON another occasion, I pulled into a cruise in, popped the throttle lightly before shutting the car off as many usually do. Getting our of the car I heard someone say, "I hope there's more to the car than loud exhaust." I said nothing, popped the hood, and heard the confirming comment, "...Yeah, sure looks like there is.", referring to the TVS sitting on the engine.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back