Lets talk T2R .... Ford Racing vs. Maximum Motorsports

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about replacing the Torsen that is in the rear end of my Boss with a T2R. Now I found 2 options for these. One being the Ford Racing FR500S unit that is used in the FR500S/Boss 302S/Boss 302R, and the second one is the one that Maximum Motorsports sells. That being said they are both 31 spline and they both have a 4:1 bias ratio. They appear to be thar same but I'm not certain if there are any differences between the two that would make one better than the other

Does anyone know what the differences are if any?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Any reason you aren't looking at a TruTrac? They are supposed to be stronger. It's the same voo doo design for torque biasing.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't really heard of the the T2R breaking on the road course or during autocross nor have I heard of the Ford Racing units really breaking unless it was used the strip or a sudden shock was applied to it.

Although I will admit that I haven't considered or used a TruTrac as I was under the assumption that it was more of a drag racing item vs. a road course/autocross car

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Although I will admit that I haven't considered or used a TruTrac as I was under the assumption that it was more of a drag racing item vs. a road course/autocross car

Opposite. Wouldn't use the TrueTrac for drag, but it's ideal for road course.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Opposite. Wouldn't use the TrueTrac for drag, but it's ideal for road course.

People use them for drag all the time. It's the go to aftermarket diff for most guys short of running deep into the 9s.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you get the tru trac grab some axles and go 33 spline.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice article Vince, I liked that one. I will have to take a poke around and read the rest of them. I will have to do some more research on the Tru-Trac and read up about them.

If you don't mind me asking about how much did the install run you?

If you get the tru trac grab some axles and go 33 spline.

Why the switch to 33 spline axles?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
33 spline truetrac has an extra set of magic gears for added strength.

Check into this, 2nd hand info from good old Pentalab ;)

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
My local shop charged me about $1100 to install which included cost of the unit.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Very nice article Vince, I liked that one. I will have to take a poke around and read the rest of them. I will have to do some more research on the Tru-Trac and read up about them.

Why the switch to 33 spline axles?

It should be about the cost of a gear install. I had mine done at the same time as a gear install and nothing extra was charged for the TruTrac. I supplied the parts.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Here are the two EATON TRU-TRAC versions of the 3.5:1 bias ratio LSD

http://vmptuning.com/07-12-gt500-drivetrain/dts-913a561/ This is the standard 31 spline version, which is plug + play..and uses 3 x pinion gears on each side. $479.00

http://vmptuning.com/07-12-gt500-drivetrain/dts-913a701/ This is the 33 spline version (so u require new 33 spline axles). This version is heavier duty, more expensive, and uses 4 x pinion gears on each side. $629.99 for the LSD...plus more $$ for new 33 spline axles, like from strange engineering or moser axles.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Hey, thanks!

I don't remember exactly. I took it to JPC, and it was $4-500 if I recall. That was on top of the cost of the actual diff unit. I kept the stock gearing, so they only had to shim it left/right and not front/back.

Differentials are one of the few things I refuse to work on. I lack the patience to shim them correctly.

As for upgrading the axles, that might be necessary if you're launching on slicks at 4,000 RPM with 800 horsepower.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
This was the response that I got back from Maximum Motorsports:

Mr. Wright,

The Torsen differentials that FRPP sells and the models that we sell are not the same.

The Torsen differentials are customized to Ford's requirements for instance. You'll have to compare the specifications on each
website to see what the differences are.

The T2R we sell has a higher TBR than the True-Trac. This is important in any situation where there is a lot of lateral weight
transfer. If the car corners hard enough to end up with a 80% of its weight on the outside rear tire and 20% of its weight on the
inside rear tire, then the differential needs a TBR of at least 4:1 (80%/20%). This is so it can delivery 80% of the engine torque
to the outside tire which has much more weight on it for more potential traction. If the TBR in this case was only 3:1, then the
differential would send 33% of the driveshaft torque to the inside tire which would result in its spinning while the outside tire
still had excess torque capacity. The T2R has the highest TBR of any aftermarket differential. For autox use, where there is very
high lateral weight transfer this is very important. The more cornering grip is available, the more weight transfer and the more
important having a high TBR is.

As a torque biasing differentials wears, the TBR decreases some. So its better to start out with a TBR that is higher than may be
needed when in doubt.

The only application where I've ever seen a Torsen break is in drag racing. We've used them in ever Mustang we have here and never
broken one. We don't drag race any of the cars, but we have done plenty of 0-60mph testing for various uses, but never on slicks.

It seems as if no one knows what the difference is even MM themselves.

I think I am going to be going with the Ford Racing T2R due to the fact that it is a proven system and it is used on Ford Racing's race cars so I am assuming it is of high quality as well. The price difference isn't all that much between the T2R and the Tru-Trac, I am seeming them selling for low to mid $500's so an extra hundred dollars and I can get the slightly higher bias ratio and the differential that most racers tend to prefer (although those that have the Tru-Trac seem to enjoy them as well).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back