Livernois Limiters Please help

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For those who have installed the livernois limiters,

do you have to remove the timing chain to instal them? I have read in posts they are easier than the comp limiters to install but how so. It appears it is the exact same amount of work and needs the same tools. You have to pull the phasers out correct?

How are they easier to install than the comp limiters and don't you still need the tools to pull everything a part?

Thanks

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
it is the EXACT same procedure, I installed lockouts last week and its the same procedure as doing limiters either comps or livernois.

and yes you need to take out the phasers to disasemble it and install the limiters.

*NOTE Ford says to not reuse the phaser bolt, since its hollow in the interior. So in a high HP car like yours, I wouldnt take chances, anyway they´re $12.5 each.

BTW are you selling your comp limiters? I´m looking for a bitter cheap set before I buy one set online :beerdrink:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks. So much for being 'easier'

Since it's the same work I wonder if I should use the comp or livernois since I have both?:idea:

I haven't decided yet if I am going to use the comp or livernois. I'm installing on friday so I have to decide which by then.

Judging by the labor involved, I may put this mod off until after next week.

CataclysmGT

forum member
Reaction score
Mex: I was Adam's first build with the Comp Limiters, and he mentioned to me that he thought they were a very well-made product. Go with the Comps....

Andy@Livernois

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. So much for being 'easier'

Since it's the same work I wonder if I should use the comp or livernois since I have both?:idea:

I haven't decided yet if I am going to use the comp or livernois. I'm installing on friday so I have to decide which by then.

Judging by the labor involved, I may put this mod off until after next week.

Actually the "easier" part is that you have to fully disassemble the phaser when using the comp Limiters, ours inserts into the phaser without fully dissecting it...

I don't have access to the .pdf of the instructions, but should be able to get them on Friday...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually the "easier" part is that you have to fully disassemble the phaser when using the comp Limiters, ours inserts into the phaser without fully dissecting it...

I don't have access to the .pdf of the instructions, but should be able to get them on Friday...
Mark - see my write-up on "fun with phasers"...

As he says, you leave the phasers basically assembled (leaving the spring loaded - only removing those bolts that DO NOT go through to the clock spring). You do need to remove them from the cam of course, but you DO NOT need to tear them down... I did in my write-up because I had the mod-camponents setup before and dumped it... So, I re-assembled them with the livernois lockouts...

See the pic in post 5 of my "fun with phasers" thread

Remove the 4 bolts that DO NOT go through to the spring on the other side. Loosen the 5th that does (it has a post or additional threads that poke through the phaser body to catch the clock spring).

Rotate the plate enough to drop the limiter in and then re-install the other 4 bolts (and torque them all down of course)...

Yes, you need a new phaser bolt - it has a one-time use metal spring seal and it is drilled out so always replace it so that it seals and does not crack...

Generally speaking, you leave the chain where it was on the gear unless you are planning on some cam hanky panky (i.e. you have intentionally ground the cam to something other than the typical comp I,II,III, etc profiles). I'll let livernoise comment further on that if they like... Moving the chain on the teeth is a pretty crude timing tool - not what you need to do to "degree the cam" - more of a large hammer change most should avoid...

When I spoke with Comp, they told me that their stage II's wanted to be at 109-112 if in a "fixed" config and the livernois degreed out right in the middle of that with the lockouts...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back