Lockouts for stock cams?

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
My car is drag raced regularly. Bracket raced, no heads-up racing. In an effort to make the car as consistent as possible, I've been thinking about installing lockouts on my stock cams, this way the cam timing never varies which should lead to a more predictable car, in theory. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
I don't think it's necessary. When my car was N/A, it would run within 4 hundredths all day long. 60' times and shifting variances will affect ET more.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's necessary. When my car was N/A, it would run within 4 hundredths all day long. 60' times and shifting variances will affect ET more.

+1, not to mention the fact you will loose power/torque and run slower.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I've got them on my stock cams, but I did it for safety, reliability and to be able to run a thicker oil without causing issues with the VCT.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm not sure if I'm going to do it or not. I know I'd lose a little low end but drag racing is mostly top end anyway. I just figured I'd gain some consistency, not that the car is inconsistent I just thought it can't hurt. I think I'm going to do cmdp's first then see what happens from there.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm not sure if I'm going to do it or not. I know I'd lose a little low end but drag racing is mostly top end anyway. I just figured I'd gain some consistency, not that the car is inconsistent I just thought it can't hurt. I think I'm going to do cmdp's first then see what happens from there.

You will those throughout the rpm range, the vct advances timing through the entire rev range at wot.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've got them on my stock cams, but I did it for safety, reliability and to be able to run a thicker oil without causing issues with the VCT.

+1

once you get to built motor with poweradder, the 'extra' that vct offers isnt worth the risk.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back